Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657381 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2805 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:57 am »

I generally do alright in sieges.  I hang back until my infantry reach the ladder/tower, and then pick off the ones who aren't unloading on them.  If that's not working, I run up and hug the wall, and then thin out the archers on one side.  Defense actually seems to be more dangerous for me than offense, as an archer.

It helps that I have pretty good armor and 73 hp.  I can take a few shots.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: February 15, 2013, 11:38:35 am »

I used to do that, but a big flaw with it is that you cannot affect the things you cannot see from outside the fort. There is a chance your guys just get slaughtered by inside archers. I found it best to kill the immediate threats to getting up the ladder, then breaking through the enemy and killing all the archers with a sword. Then use those saved up arrows and slaughter the enemy with them.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:39 am »

I just lead my nord huscarls up the ramp and start hitting people with a great big axe 8)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: February 15, 2013, 11:47:33 am »

I used to do that, but a big flaw with it is that you cannot affect the things you cannot see from outside the fort. There is a chance your guys just get slaughtered by inside archers. I found it best to kill the immediate threats to getting up the ladder, then breaking through the enemy and killing all the archers with a sword. Then use those saved up arrows and slaughter the enemy with them.

I get inside as soon as I can.  I get up onto the ladder right behind the infantry push and take out the archers on the sides, then if we manage to push through, I position myself behind the enemy infantry wall (as soon as I have no archers targeting me) and just unload.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: February 15, 2013, 12:33:09 pm »

some tips on dogeing arrows.
move side to side as you run.
get in fast, from the side if you can for the last 20 meters.
the ai always aims in a straight line with no adjustment for flight time.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: February 15, 2013, 12:46:01 pm »

Assuming you're not playing the game with reduced damage in the options, shields are a major survival asset when you're involved in besieging a castle.

While when you're in the defending side, not using a shield but a 2 hands weapon is not a problem, if you're in the attacking side, not having a shield is really trying to push your luck, arrows and bolts being very damaging you'll go through a rain of them to reach the walls..

If I am attacking I never REALLY need a shield. I just hide in the siege machine where I am completely invulnerable to attack.

Sieges are tough but the trick is that you have to out quality the enemy.

Though really you can unequip a shield on the fly. As well I stopped using a Spear once I learned that it does less damage then a sword on Horseback due to how momentum is calculated (You REALLY need a Lance)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:46 pm »

Troop quality does seem to be the most important thing.  High level troops will slaughter masses of lower level troops, mostly due to armor and attack speeds.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: February 15, 2013, 02:08:42 pm »

Troop quality does seem to be the most important thing.  High level troops will slaughter masses of lower level troops, mostly due to armor and attack speeds.

That and Horses are almost completely overpowered.

Which you would think their weakness would be sieges... but that isn't true either. Mounted units are even better on sieges then most unmounted.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

Well i have a thing for spears/pikes (i love dismounting people) so my usual setup consists of a spear, shield and 2 slots of throwing axes that double as 1h melee weapons.

In a siege it usually ends up with me throwing everyone at the ladder (or forming a line just before the ladder so that my archers can go pew pew from behind.

I also can go "snipe" people with my trusty axes (superfun when defending and chicking axes at people on the ladder since they do a lot of damage)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: February 15, 2013, 03:50:55 pm »

Which you would think their weakness would be sieges... but that isn't true either. Mounted units are even better on sieges then most unmounted.

Actually, looking at the stats of the various units, elite horsemen are rather comparable to their foot-stomping brethren. Though if an advantage exists, it's definitively in favour of the knights. Generally they have an extra level or two, and their stats are better balanced for fighting (12 charisma for a Sergeant? Really?). Equipment-wise the two groups have a lot of overlap, though it seems the footsoldiers have better armour, while the mounted ones get some of the better weapons. Though given how Mount and Blade hands out its equipment, the differences shouldn't be that noticeable.

Mind you my comparison is based on the numbers in the wiki, and I always go with Huscarls, so take my analysis with a grain of salt.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: February 15, 2013, 04:14:40 pm »

Depends on what weapons the mounted units have.  I wouldn't send lancers on foot into a siege.  Even if they have a sidearm, sometimes the horrible AI has them trying to walk up and poke the enemy.  I think it's only knights that are super powerful, really... and that just makes sense.  Also, even high-quality cavalry suffer many losses against polearm infantry.

So... I've worked for Ravenstern for a while... built up high relations with more people... have over 80 right to rule and honor... but now I'm realizing that you can't renounce your oath without giving up all your fiefs!  I'm tempted to empty the garrisons for all the castles/towns I own, renounce, and then capture them all effortlessly.  But I would have a hell of a time trying to defend them while I rebuild the garrisons.  Not sure what to do.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:19:17 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: February 15, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »

And in With Fire & Sword, horsemen die REALLY quick.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: February 15, 2013, 04:47:24 pm »

Picked the game up recently, what mods do you guys recommend? Because there appears to be a ton out there.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: February 15, 2013, 04:56:13 pm »

Prophesy of Pendor seems to be one of the best fleshed out, balanced, and polished, but it has an epic fantasy feel (no magic though).  It's also fairly difficult.

Floris mod pack is just a whole bunch of expansion and polish on the vanilla game.  Enough to feel very, very different, but it's still the same units, characters, items, and setting.

Brytenwalda is popular for super difficult gritty realism.  I found it quite masochistic.

Clash of Kings is based on Song of Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones).  I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a really good up & coming.  Features a large, very customized world with a lot of small factions, instead of a handful of large ones.  I plan to try this one next, if Veiled Stars isn't released by the time I'm done with my current playthrough.

Really depends on what style of game you want.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: February 15, 2013, 05:04:28 pm »

And in With Fire & Sword, horsemen die REALLY quick.

Well, most of the horsemen in that game are wearing little more than thick shirts, which is only good protection against a chill. However the horsemen with armour, like Reiters or Hussars, can take quite a lot of punishment and gunfire. Plus their horses tend to be tanks as well, which only makes things worse.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 310