Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657323 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2670 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:55 am »

Do note that the character who has the trainer skill needs to be of equal level to or above the troop being trained to be able to train that troop.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: November 27, 2012, 01:48:10 am »

The guys you get from the villages are all level 1 right?

Also, screw franks. It's like they are the deserters that contain 40 khergit lancers from Native.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: November 27, 2012, 01:56:51 am »

Also, screw franks. It's like they are the deserters that contain 40 khergit lancers from Native.

Maybe... I know you can get at least trained spearmen from rhodok villages (highly loyal village with all the upgrades, very rich... although it still might just be a native feature) with only diplomacy installed; does Brytenwalda have that bundled in?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: November 27, 2012, 02:48:03 am »

Troops in Brytenwalda have a much higher level than vanilla. I think troops start at around level 11? It makes training extremely hard when you're first starting out, best to try and find captive troops and free them.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: November 27, 2012, 06:25:40 am »

in Native you get troops according to your relation with village. Higher relation means that you can sometimes get cool troops, even the highest tier (once a village with 60 relation offered me 7 rhodok sergeants)
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2675 on: November 27, 2012, 01:18:49 pm »

In Brytenwalda troops start at 15 and go up to 29 or 32 depending on the faction and upgrade path.

So you need to be at least level 16 before you can start training troops, and then only from tier 1 to 2. Troops are much slower to train. There are a few ways to get higher tier troops, though - hiring from villages that really like you can get you tier 2 or 3 troops fairly regularly. In 1.40 they only cost 10 denars, so with 100 relation you can often recruit ~50 tier 3 troops (which would cost you 8000 denars to train and upgrade yourself even if you had zero losses during the training period) for a mere 500 denars. You can also hire masterless men roaming around, although they can be quite expensive and lower your honor a bit. You can even get bandits to join you if you have low honor, they're 50 per troop. And you can pick up mercenaries in taverns, although they can be a bit expensive too - the higher tiers are fairly cost effective since the high tiers are expensive to upgrade anyway, but the lower tiers are way over priced.

In the submod I've been working on I adjusted much of the costs for troops, and have the training from your constable working so you can train some troops using the constable. It makes village troops cost what it would cost you to upgrade them to that level though, so you can't get super cheap troops that way (although you do still get the free training).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: November 27, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »

Note that even with great relations with a village there's still a chance of them offering you 60 tier 1 archers that (unless they're Britons) can not be upgraded. It can feel like rolling a dice at times.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:29 pm »

Well, it technically IS rolling a dice, in a way, I guess there is a randomly generated variable somewhere. Anyway, I wanted to recommend you Bay12sians a mod I'm currently playing (for M&B, not Warband though, so some things are just not included - say, new anims - but Warband-style own kingdom making IS worked in).

The mod, which I mentioned earlier, is 1866 mod. It transports you to the year 1866 (go figure), however, this is not a late XIX-century historical warfare stuff. Instead, you go to the Old West, specifically Texas and northern Mexico just after the Civil War. The author apparently likes his westerns (and spoofs - several Blazing Saddles references are dropped, e.g. one of the villages is Rock Ridge, and a black companion named Bart[holomew] mentions he'd love to be a sherrif there).

1866 attempts to stuff as many tropes as possible in the M&B format: there are 21 factions total, however they reflect not only nations (USA, Mexico, Apaches and Comanches) but also the classical Lawmen vs. Gangs struggle (and indeed, infighting between gangs and lawmen groups) and various minor groups you encounter: rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

Now seriously, beside all of the main factions, you can either side with or against the remnants of Confederate army, help out or torment the common man (that includes armed Vigilante posses too, effectively Manhunters, and if you are a known friend of the Commoners, you can hire them), the mexican Imperialists, Deserters from US Army and various Looters and Indian Raiders unafilliated with main factions.

The character's history can affect the relations: you can choose your character's race (affects skin/hair options, but also, for example, Mexicans can avoid Imperialists easier, some Indian companions only join Indian character, etc. Then the Persuasion skill is much more useful than in native game: you can bluff your way out of fights you would otherwise lose.

I mentioned the possibility of creating kingdom of your own: however, you needn't to do so to have fun - first of all, the mod includes something like a crude Freelancer mod - you can join army or gang as a soldier/gunslinger respectively. Joining faction native style, on the other hand, has a huge benefit: you can only recruit from nation's (not faction - lawmen and bandits are recruited as usual) villages if you are a lord of the nation, and the troops are much better later on. Should you want something different, you can be a bounty hunter - similar to native's quest, but received in town by 'talking' to a Wanted poster. The bounties range from 5-15$ AFAIK (1$ = 100 native money, 1 being a cent). Oh, and they don't hurt your relations with the village. This is a good way of getting income early on (more on that later). The native Deliver Cattle (or Horses, alternatively) quest is good for cowboy style work. For quick buck, you can play Blackjack in saloons, but the arenas are gone.

Would rather have some EVULZ? Raid stagecoaches or rob banks (also work as well, banks), free prisoners from chain gangs or perform a good ol' stickup in the middle of the town (one more thing that uses Persuasion).

Another nifty feature is voicing: commands are now voiced, with some different voices to pick from, or a 'Silent Killer' for native, silent ones.

The gameplay feels very different to native: obviously, the inclusion and a major role of guns in the mod contribute to that. The selection of weapons is huge and quite balanced, though Colt Walker, although slow, is probably THE gun to get. Weaker pistols tend to have an accuracy bonus ('low penalty') on horseback, strong pistols have 'medium penalty' (i.e. small bonus), whereas rifles tend to be less accurate while mounted. The guns work well, without the ridiculous bullet drop of native flintlock pistol.

The second thing though, is that the game encourages small, companion-oriented parties. Companions don't complain AFAIK, and their upkeep is reasonable, meanwhile large armies of even tier 1 troops WILL deplete your funds unless you get a steady source of income (no enterprises for you!). Besides, due to range and power of guns, the troops die easily, while companions are knocked out.

The scenes are very well done, keeping the feel of Western instead of dropping you into random medieval village or Calradian forest: expect mesas, deserts, saloons in towns (merged with town - you can go into the town and just enter the saloon without magical teleports, and the people inside will walk the town.

Well, that's a runaway wall of text. TL;DR - try it out, available here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,166156.0.html
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: November 27, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »

I assume it's been updated a lot over the years? I remember disliking it due to repetitive use of scenes, (there were only 2 possible scenes for canyons or something) and npcs drowning in water or something of the sort.
Is it for Warband or just M&B?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: November 27, 2012, 04:51:46 pm »

I assume it's been updated a lot over the years? I remember disliking it due to repetitive use of scenes, (there were only 2 possible scenes for canyons or something) and npcs drowning in water or something of the sort.
Is it for Warband or just M&B?

I don't know how much it had been updated, I just play since the last version. Yeah, some scenes do repeat, possibly a side effect of the way terrain generates (e.g. area near telegraph line will use the same scene, the railway will always use the same scene). Generic desert/plains/ mountains generate randomly. What you might have had a problem with is a certain quest, which uses a quite ugly and badly made scene (the deep water - possible cause of drowning, and a path that uses horrifically stretched canyon wall texture.

It is for M&B, however it might or might not be adaptable to Warband (nifty trick, you copy the only resource file Warband lacks in comparison with M&B - costumes_a.brf from M&B CommonRes folder to Warband's, and copy the actions.txt from Native Warband module to the copied 1866 module, then just run it as an ordinary mod).

It generally ends to work with most mods, with some errors due to changed window system (harmless), but I can't tell if there are any scripts that don't work in WB - as I said, PROBABLY not, but I recall crashing once on a ported version. You can try this method with any other mod, or perhaps even Native for lulz - if the mod's scripts don't conflict with WB's, which they shouldn't, the worst that happens is some funkyness in NPC in castles and towns (lords in their offices are naked and soldiers and lords stand in 'polearm drawn' position for some reason - probably the actions.txt you copy) and some minor aforesaid errors due to changed window system.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: November 27, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »

Usually, MB mods don't work at all with Warband, it was one of the hope of many that Warband would be able to run MB mods, but unfortunately it had never been the case.

1866 got an attempt of adaptation to Warband, but it was probably too much work as it only ended with a MP version but unfortunately development on that MP mod died at +/- WB 1.132 and SP never saw the light.

But if you wish to play in that era in Warband, there 's the 1860 Old America mod that got permission of the 1866 mod to use their assets, and it is still developed.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: November 27, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »

Usually, MB mods don't work at all with Warband, it was one of the hope of many that Warband would be able to run MB mods, but unfortunately it had never been the case.

1866 got an attempt of adaptation to Warband, but it was probably too much work as it only ended with a MP version but unfortunately development on that MP mod died at +/- WB 1.132 and SP never saw the light.

But if you wish to play in that era in Warband, there 's the 1860 Old America mod that got permission of the 1866 mod to use their assets, and it is still developed.

Did not read my post, did you? There IS a way of adapting M&B mods to Warband:
1) Open your M&B folder
2) Open CommonRes folder inside
3) Likewise for Warband folder
3) Copy costumes_a.brf to CommonRes in Warband folder
4) Copy the mod file from Modules in M&B folder to Warband's Modules
5) Open Warband Native module
6) Copy actions.txt to the mod folder (replace)
7) ???
8) Mod adapted!
Copyright Swyter from Taleworlds forum (not really, but it was he who figured it out)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2682 on: November 27, 2012, 06:11:56 pm »

Haha, due to a bug in Brytenwalda I just found, when fishing (it apparently has you fishing when you sail around in a ship) it uses your looting skill instead of your foraging skill.

Loot the sea!
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: November 27, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »

There's an annoyance i just noticed in Brytenwalda, when you fight in the arena and decide to spare with your troops instead of the classic arena fight, the teams you set up have a red or blue "fire" floating on top of their head so you can recognize who is in which team during the melee.

But if you play in 3rd person view, that fire is not high enough, so when you move, the lagging fire behind just get in your view in a very annoying way.

Is it possible to change the altitude of that blue or red fire over the player head to prevent that annoyance ?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: November 27, 2012, 07:55:05 pm »

I think changing the transparency would be a better idea. Altitude sounds like it would require more codework.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 310