Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657305 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2640 on: November 25, 2012, 09:11:57 pm »

After playing the brytenwalda mod for a while, I have found it to suck. The AI seems to aim solely for ruining my game. My troops sometimes don't fight when in follow mode, when they do fight they suck so badly that they drop like flies, arena matches are a joke, because no matter how far away I am from the last few guys, they all turn to me, run at me, and try to surround and kill me. When I have the opportunity to flank someone, both the enemy and my ally move away from me. Not from other AI, just me.

The realism part of the mod doesn't seem to apply to AI.

And I swear they have longer range with their weapons.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: November 25, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »

your starting blade blows with range just to let you know.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:37 pm »

Not sure what you mean.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: November 25, 2012, 10:27:12 pm »

Not sure what you mean.
I believe he means "The range of the starting blade blows just to let you know."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: November 25, 2012, 11:58:48 pm »

O yes I know, I meant I had a spear and the enemy had a sword. I swung a fraction of a second earlier, but missed, while he hit. Happened on multiple occasions but nothing solid.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: November 26, 2012, 05:04:53 am »

It's been a long time i didn't played Brytenwalda, so maybe that's a known thing.
I decided to serve (Freelancer i guess) under a lord army to get some money for a start. After some rather long wait , the army finally managed to catch a Frankish raider party.

The battle was a 300 vs 40 , in theory overwhelming advantage for us... in theory

End of the 1st round, the Frankish Raider lost 20 and the army lost 185 troops !

It was simply because our army didn't fought at all for most of that battle round.
For most of the battle, the troops went into some lining formation, and moved forward, then once contact was established, they stayed in line, moving back from time to time without fighting while the frankish raiders were just killing them.

Once the battle was over i disabled formations completely in the mod options (camp menu) as that's surely not how it is supposed to work, is that a known problem or something the submod introduced ?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: November 26, 2012, 05:16:21 am »

It's something in Brytenwalda. I experienced it myself as a freelancer. Was part of a king's army, 3-400 strong, against a caravan of 80. The army lost.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: November 26, 2012, 05:20:56 am »

Never seen that happen, usually the formations work decently. I can only assume that they had the orders to "hold fire" or something and it made their AI break.

I know standard Bryenwalda has a system where units fight in a "relay" system. Small squads of units come out to fight each other and reinforcements are meant to trickle in. It's suppose to be more historically accurate. It does however mean that elite units (like those heaven blessed Frankish Raiders) can take out massive amounts of troops.
I however tend to use the battle resizer to allow massive amounts of troops to fight each other at one time. Massive shield walls with a rain of spears and javelins seems a lot more impressive to me. Think more "Roman conquest of Gual" than "Celtic grudge match".

EDIT: Any chance of getting improve formations like in With Fire and Sword? Making ranks 2-5 men thick would stop them forming a silly ineffective 1 line shieldwall.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:25:29 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: November 26, 2012, 08:08:06 am »

I know standard Bryenwalda has a system where units fight in a "relay" system. Small squads of units come out to fight each other and reinforcements are meant to trickle in. It's suppose to be more historically accurate. It does however mean that elite units (like those heaven blessed Frankish Raiders) can take out massive amounts of troops.
I however tend to use the battle resizer to allow massive amounts of troops to fight each other at one time. Massive shield walls with a rain of spears and javelins seems a lot more impressive to me. Think more "Roman conquest of Gual" than "Celtic grudge match".

EDIT: Any chance of getting improve formations like in With Fire and Sword? Making ranks 2-5 men thick would stop them forming a silly ineffective 1 line shieldwall.
that is just mount and blades way and it really sucks at times.
to get deeper formations you can try using the square, i find it best for fighting on the defence.

should i try making the shields smaller to make thrown weapons work?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: November 26, 2012, 08:17:54 am »

In a previous version of Brytenwalda that i played half of a year ago, i remember during a siege defense i run into a very odd bug.
At some point there was no more attacker but the battle wasn't ending, looking at the mini map, i noticed there was a red point.
I moved out of the fort myself and went after it, the enemy guy was inside of a river.

But that wasn't the worst, the problem is that for reason unknown he was running at very high speed (think about the old Benny Hill show) around, fleeing from me but not fleeing the battlefield, he was then impossible to catch. Fortunately i managed to kill him with a bow i had at that point.

And now , in the 1.40 version + submod, same buggy enemy troop
At the start of the battle ( 14 masterless men vs 10 of my fresh recruits) i noticed 3 or 4 red dots on the mini map going to the upper left corner of the map for no reason, considering my troops were in the opposite direction.

After we managed to kill all of the enemy (i lost all my troops though), those 3 or 4 red dots were still running and "bumping" forward and backward against that map upper left corner, as the battle wasn't ending, i went there

After running a bit more toward their direction, and looking at the mini map, suddenly i noticed

What ? I just saw one of those red dot "teleporting" there ?

Ok, running a bit more toward the upper left corner,

Every red dot had disappeared (what ?) , and the other red dot was now to the right ?
I tried to chase it, but it was insanely fast, finally after a long run, i managed to corner him to the bottom right corner and got him in visual range.

And i understood, same bug i noticed as in the older version  : that AI was running insanely fast.
As at that point i had no ranged weaponry, i had to retreat from the battle .

I'm not sure why it's happening (i had formation disabled as they're buggy anyways), but it's a bug that is specific to Brytenwalda as in no other mods and native i played since years this problem is occuring.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2650 on: November 26, 2012, 09:42:25 am »

Formations are a bit iffy in Brytenwalda sometimes. They never actually issue a "charge" order, they stay in formation no matter what. It works fine if it's two big lines of evenly matched troops battling it out, but a small elite force vs it and they'll just cut a swathe through it and rip em apart since they never go in to surround them.

Maybe I should change that, give it a charge order. I'm scared to look into the formations AI in Brytenwalda though, it's an extremely complex, confusing bit of code that I only half understand. Need to spend some time reading through it and finding out exactly how things work before I can change things.

I think the formations AI they adapted for Brytenwalda was actually better before it was modified by the Brytenwalda team, I played another mod (I forget which one) with the same formation AI and it worked good. Just one of the changes they made had the formations going in big sparsely spaced squares of troops if they had more than 46 infantry at once. I changed that and it made them do shield walls, but shield walls only really work well against shield walls. The AI is supposed to issue a charge order if they outnumber the enemy significantly, but I guess sometimes it fails to do so.

I think I'll dig through it and see if I can add a charge order when the troops are close together. Hopefully it'll charge while the troops are close then reform formations when they're apart again, heh.

It's fun to see two big lines clash though, I got in a freelancer battle of 500+ vs 500+ evenly matched troops and it was epic - each side had 150 men at the start (battle size 300). The two lines formed pretty much exactly the same and marched against each other. As they clashed in the middle of the field the two lines just kind of crushed against eachother, and within fifteen seconds or so about 200 troops were dead and the survivors on the enemy side were fleeing back to their reinforcements. Then our line marched across and hit them again, this time we lost since our reinforcements hadn't quite caught up to us. Then our reinforcements went back and reformed a big line with the rest of our troops and met the enemy that had been advancing about 1/3 across the field, and another bloody fight ensued. Then since no more enemy reinforcements came it triggered the mop up order and they broke formation and charged the rest of the enemy. The end result was nearly every enemy dead, a few routed, and two thirds of the friendly troops wiped out.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:44:46 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:00 am »

I keep hearing about the freelance rmod and joining armies. Is that default in brytenwalda? Because I can't seem to do that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: November 26, 2012, 10:46:49 am »

Try to talk to one of the lord roaming around, you should have an option to enlist in his army.
Maybe there's a relationship condition too with the faction, i'm not sure.
edit : if you play with the submod, you just need to not have negative relationship with the lord's faction (it was minimum 5 relationship in default Brytenwalda)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:49:22 am by Robsoie »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: November 26, 2012, 12:05:21 pm »

That +5 faction relation requirement for freelancing in Brytenwalda was bloody annoying, good job removing that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:53 pm »

And i suggest if you want to enlist into a lord army to choose one that own a castle/town at the frontier of his faction territory, or it will be very boring to see nearly no action with the lord only patrolling around his villages far from war zones and rarely catching a bandit troop.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 310