Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657124 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2295 on: May 19, 2012, 03:14:19 am »

Heh, when I get dismounted in those, I just drop my lance and punch things. All those 1 damage hits add up after a while. Though to be fair, I've actually taken proper couched hits from AI, it's just that they can't properly handle turning or the concept of momentum.

Hm. Turns out I've accidentally been raiding Rhodok villages. Now I'm stuck in a battle with 60 Rhodoks, mostly crossbowmen, with a handful of recruits and mercenaries. Thank goodness for 2-handed sabres.

Good thing you're not in danger, at least. Doooo ho ho ho ho.

tournament arenas are just too small for horsemen, even more so when they spawn half the team on horseback.  If the developers wanted to have horses in the arena it should of been a 1v1 jousting system.

I actually got to wondering, as of a few minutes ago, if maybe the reason the tournament cavalry herp so hard is that they use the same code in the arena as they would in a field battle?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 19, 2012, 04:17:23 am »

It could be that. There's also the problem that the majority of the units that spawn in the arena have little to no riding skill, coupled with the terrible turning ability of the tourny horses and the small fighting space.
To me it just doesn't make sense to have a select few of the people in the tournament spawn on horses. In real life it was a massive advantage and if I was in that event I would be pretty pissed off. Not to mention how likely serious injuries could be caused by the horses.

For a change of pace I've been replaying With Fire and Sword which has finally released a module system meaning there's modding. I've been playing the "Enhancement Mod" which brings over all the various "fixer" mods that are in Warband. 
If anyone is interested: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,218099.0.html

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: May 19, 2012, 10:31:59 am »

My Rajesh Sarranid Raider has been doing great.  Looting villages is a great source of money, right?  But there's always the threat of some lord with a huge army swooping in and crushing.  But here's one thing that's occurred to me: castles, no matter how large and powerful their garrison, cannot move against you without a lord leading them. 

So I quickly exploited this.  I would scout next to a Rhodok castle, and after confirming that there was no lord, I would loot the village, no problem, then high tail it to a non-Rhodok town.

There's always risks.  A patrolling lord could attack me, but hey, I always save before doing anything major. 

Not only am I looting Rhodok villages, and thus depriving their leadership of small amounts of income, I am getting thousands of denars, and now I can raise a grand Sarranid army.  I have 27 men currently, about 13 are recruits, the rest sarranid infantry.  But I intend to recruit many more, and when the Rhodoks are at their weakest, I will strike and take hopefully a town or castle from them.

...But then again, they are the toughest faction to siege, so I have no idea how well this is going to go down in the long run.  Any tips to prevent my future army from getting pincushioned by crossbow bolts in a siege?  I figure that making my army stand a good distance away from the castle until the enemy runs out of ammo is a decent tactic.

Any more anti-Rhodok strategies?   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:02 am »

Use Nords for sieges if you can, once you kill your way in, you've won the siege.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 19, 2012, 11:24:46 am »

Any tactics for a pure Sarranid army? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2300 on: May 19, 2012, 11:51:17 am »

Any tactics for a pure Sarranid army?

Haven't tried it, but I'd guess similar tactics to the Swadians.  Heavy cavalry charges supported by archer fire.

KG

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:56 am »

Yeah, Sarranid's have decent knights I suppose, get enough of those and you'll be fine.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 19, 2012, 12:00:02 pm »

I believe NRDL means tactics for besieging as the Sarranids, of which I have none.

Also, no matter what faction you use, you'll always have massive casualties as the one running the siege. Letting your troops fight without you always yields casualties and the AI has no idea how to go up ramps/ladders/siege towers. They'll walk forward with their shields forward and get shot in the side of the head. By the time they reach the battlements, some will have their shield facing the archers and then get stabbed and killed. I've lost many a huscarl to that.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 19, 2012, 01:10:58 pm »

Sarranids actually have a really balanced army. Focus on the mamelukes which are nearly as good as Swadian Knights, though.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 19, 2012, 01:42:53 pm »

You want some troops with heavy armor and short reaching weapons so that the Rhodok spear can't hit you with much force and their shield can get taken down quickly. Also have ALOT of archers it helps alot.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 19, 2012, 01:45:49 pm »

"How do I siege Rhodoks?"

Don't?  :P

Unrelated: Training up a force of Swadian cav and Rhodok crossbowmen, became a lord of Swadia, and am courting the daughter of the Swadian Marshall. Now all I need is a nice war and things will be lovely.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:58:18 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 19, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »

Not a joke either, rhodok crossbowmen are brutal. Think what they'd do to your mostly shield-less, lightly armored troops.

Sarranid infantry is garbage IIRC, their top tier infantry can't hold a proper wall if their lives depended on it. Your only real choices are your cavalry and archer lines, mamelukes are good in sieges, but their cavalry line until then will get wrecked in a siege. Plus, archer vs Heavy Armor/Board Shields is a very bad combination. If you must insist on going all Sarranid, then the only real advice I can give is outnumber them and bring body bags. This is really one of those times you want to splash some other faction troops in.

Unrelated: Training up a force of Swadian cav and Rhodok crossbowmen, became a lord of Swadia, and am courting the daughter of the Swadian Marshall. Now all I need is a nice war and things will be lovely.
Go find one of the dishonorable lords and keep asking for jobs. Eventually you'll find one that asks you to raid a caravan to start a war. Of course, nothing really prevents you from raiding a faction anyway.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 19, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »

Be Rhodoks too!
It really does help. Still scary as all hell though.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 19, 2012, 03:13:24 pm »

Aye, your archers can't really do anything against those scary as hell crossbowmen, so it'll have to be charge and hope you get through, they aren't nearly as scary up close

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:44 pm »

Be Rhodoks too!
It really does help. Still scary as all hell though.
Better yet, bring Huscarls.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 310