Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657010 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2115 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:36 pm »

Helmets, young padawan.

Rhodok Sharpshooters and full combat damage, apprentice.
Once in a while there's also the annoying "use my dead comrade to hide my attack" when facing an infantry melee conga.

Then again, I suspect most people don't enjoy the infantry game as much as I do. The Mount part of the title makes combat much more survivable.

1. Hire 20-50 Khergit horse archers, some of the cavarly spearmen
2. When in combat, have them follow you
3. The horse archers follow you, and paint the enemy troops with arrows. Once the enemies are outnumbered, send your men to fight whoever they please (charge). This works really well against normal troops, but not effective at capturing castles/towns.

In Warband at least, you can open up the combat menu and use the minimap to 'move to' command your horse archers around the enemy. Just keep them away from the red dots and they should be fine. By getting them into a nice position they can plink away at the exposed enemy rear while your main force holds the enemy forces in place.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: January 24, 2012, 06:14:52 pm »

Then again, I suspect most people don't enjoy the infantry game as much as I do. The Mount part of the title makes combat much more survivable.
In singleplayer I like playing cavalry. It's much easier to give orders to your troops and to fight in general... and to stay alive, which is important because as soon as you go down the battle is left in the hands of the RNG gods.

In multiplayer, however, I find infantry much more fun, simply because melee battles are great fun. Cavalry battles are more like dogfighting, except on horses instead of planes. Archery is just... dull, but sometimes useful, not my kind of playstyle though.

For those who don't know, in singleplayer you can ctrl+spacebar to move faster on the world map. While on horseback, ctrl+j rears your horse no matter where you are or how fast you're moving. Holding down F1 (By default. It's the movement command button) will bring up a flag you can aim and put down to order your troops to go there. Useful since the battle map doesn't have topographical lines or a heightmap of any sort.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: January 24, 2012, 06:27:37 pm »

i did the whole plundering thing,even large caravans are no problem vs the might of my bands Maschinengewehr 34s (the Chinese Civil War mod)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: January 24, 2012, 06:35:13 pm »

My biggest problem with M&B is settling down on a life path. Playing as a merc is fun, but irritating, because your Lords are douches and your orders are often non-sensical. (Get 'yer own fucking cows!) You also have to stay employed constantly to afford to pay your horde.

Trading is boring. Pillaging is fun and profitable but it's kind of a dead-end. You'll end up surrounded by trouble.

Trying to be a self-made ruler takes forever to build up a force large enough to take on a whole kingdom.

And for some reason, I have problems committing to any one of the nations. I find the world more interesting with all of them alive and kicking, and joining any one of the nations pretty much spells doom for their enemies.

Any mods out there that might address my problems? I've never played anything beyond vanilla WB.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: January 24, 2012, 07:22:18 pm »

I'm biased because no other mod seems to work for me but The Eagle and the Radient Cross for Warband is fun. Mercenaries are tougher but much more expensive, becoming a lord gives you access to better, unique troops and each civilization has a distinct feel. It's also a continuation of the old M&B world and story.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:04 pm »

My guy, currently, ONLY fights on the ground.  By himself.  It really is fun. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: January 25, 2012, 12:20:56 am »

Mount and blade 2 is currently in development, you could hope it solves some of these issues.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: January 25, 2012, 12:32:22 am »

Is it the same setting, gameplay, etc? 

Is there a dev log? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:05 am »

Is it the same setting, gameplay, etc? 

Is there a dev log?

Well, honestly, no idea, and not that I could find in multiple google searches and some poking about in the taleworlds forums.

Total info currently seems to be 'taleworlds guy has said he is working on M&B2'  and thats it, no settings, info, pics or vids.  99% sure there is no devblog but he isnt a native english speaker, so I may have missed something
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: January 25, 2012, 01:14:16 am »

One feature I hope they add is changing the color of some of the equipment. Right now you can get heraldic stuff, but some things make sense to be able to change. Right now there's things like "red runic, blue tunic, green tunic" and it makes more sense to ahve one item that you can change the color of using a color wheel or hex code or something.
Something like this
I am obsessed with color customization, by the way.

Actually, I wonder if they're going to be giving us any news on what they're doing with it >=o

For those unaware, this is the announcement video. As you can see it was released in October last year. In addition, on the Taleworld forums for the longest time his status has been "Working on project obvious" which implies it's been in development for a while now, with no news to speak of.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: January 25, 2012, 06:45:19 am »

Helmets, young padawan.

Rhodok Sharpshooters and full combat damage, apprentice.
Once in a while there's also the annoying "use my dead comrade to hide my attack" when facing an infantry melee conga.

Eh, I have a shield on my back and one on my arm in my shield wall. Melee is extremely fun fun me too, so I so the whole infantry game too. Of course, when i'm on full combat damage I do mod out the part where the battle ends, no way i'm letting the RNG fuck up my army when it really shouldn't lose that many people.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: January 25, 2012, 06:50:03 am »

Mount and blade 2 is currently in development, you could hope it solves some of these issues.

I suspect it probably will. At its core M&B is still the game it was...what, 8 years ago? All the nobles and yadda yadda are still essentially the same mass generated templates that I remember from M&B pre-1.0. All the way up through Warband, at least, the game has simply added the window dressing necessary to make it look and feel not like a really cludgy indie game.

Which is cool. It's just that things like, flavor, character, a really enticing setting that doesn't feel generic....none of that really ever became a focus. So I'm hoping M&B II will have all those things that a AAA game with money to spend can afford to invest in, so I can be like "Fuck yeah, Swadia!" or "Vaegirs are boss" or something. Because I think the reason I've never really gotten to the end game in M&B is because somehow I know it's almost exactly like the middle game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: January 25, 2012, 06:54:57 am »

I suspect it probably will. At its core M&B is still the game it was...what, 8 years ago?
An ambitious indie project with a rather messy core i would wager.
So redoing it with support from paradox(i assume?) would hopefully make a similar game with with a better core

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: January 25, 2012, 07:00:11 am »

I hope you can slice off limbs in M&B 2 (or at least in a DLC like Shogun 2 did if they want to bypass the ESRB rating).

As well as cuting-edge graphics :).

Let's hope it implements a much better diplomacy system in M&B 2.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: January 25, 2012, 07:01:30 am »

Ah, diplomacy, that would be great.  Noble and court intrigue, such as backstabbing, deception, blackmail, would be ABSOLUTE WIN. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 310