Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656969 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2085 on: January 15, 2012, 05:04:13 am »

When I tried With Fire & Sword, I found out that Warband is better in every single way.
That's pretty much what I thought. M&B's world map was smaller and it didn't take ages to get from one place to another with vast empty areas in between. F&S did add some interesting things, but not enough to warrant a completely new game.

That, and melee combat is way more interesting than ranged combat. If I wanted to shoot people I would play a game where you shoot people, like just about every game being released today.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: January 15, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »

When I tried With Fire & Sword, I found out that Warband is better in every single way.
That's pretty much what I thought. M&B's world map was smaller and it didn't take ages to get from one place to another with vast empty areas in between. F&S did add some interesting things, but not enough to warrant a completely new game.

That, and melee combat is way more interesting than ranged combat. If I wanted to shoot people I would play a game where you shoot people, like just about every game being released today.

The only reason I bought F&S was because you could be a Cossack. And for a Cossack simulator, it does the job.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: January 15, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

Well it does have the guns being ridiculously inaccurate and horribly slow to reload going for it against the other shooters on the market .

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: January 15, 2012, 09:54:14 pm »

Well it does have the guns being ridiculously inaccurate and horribly slow to reload going for it against the other shooters on the market .

Doesn't sound as exciting as stabbing people with a spear.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:20 pm »

We really need a sarcasm font.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: January 15, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »

Oh. I'm bad at picking up on those kind of things *derp*

And with the smiley at the end too...

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:04 am »

Well it could have went either way :P, your comment left me seriously worrying about whether you knew I was being sarcastic and meant stabbing people was an equally boring thing to do.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:04:48 am by Flare »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 16, 2012, 04:06:24 am »

The sole reason I am still playing Fire and Sword is because I hope that eventually I will create a lineup of marksmen and have them hold fire while the enemy charges, then have them rip loose a wall of bullets and watch half their army drop.

Btw, what does making them form into lines do? Does it have any type of strategical use?

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 16, 2012, 04:55:35 am »

Historically, line Infantry wasn't that proliferated in that time period. I think only the king of Sweden utilized it in the region at that time and not extensively. Polish heavy cavalry for example wore armor that made them mostly immune to musket fire, so a mix of pikemen into a firing formation was necessary. This is modeled nicely in the game. You can make a firing line, but you will be very weak against enemy cavalry.

Overall I enjoy the With Fire and Sword campaign. The historical setting is very interesting. The Cossacks play like no faction in Warband did.

I haven't tried the main storylines so i don't know if they are any good.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 23, 2012, 03:11:44 am »

Been playing as a raider recently.  Absolutely no army, just myself, a chipped Great Sword, crude mail armor, and some helmet I can't remember.  My guy's pretty strong on his own.  At first, I wanted to be like some sort of lone hero helping people throughout the land.  Then I realized it was an...unpractical idea.  So I went into arena battling, but faced too much disappointment there.  And then my guy finally found his calling. 

So, the routine would be for my guy to wait near a Vaegir village and ambush a group of traveling farmers.  Get some fame, money and lots of stuff to sell, at the cost of infamy ( which I actually want to get, it adds to the bandit mystique ). 

The only real consequences of this are: I will probably never get a fief because everyone will view me as some sort of uncivilized barbarian.  Also the Vaegir's are starting to dislike me. 

So, the point of this is ( other than to rant about my minimal achievements ) to ask this:

Will raiding their people enough make them attack me on sight?  My guy is alone, and these aren't Khergits, so I could probably outrun them, but if any prowling armies were to try and hunt me, life could become very difficult, I don't think I could enter Vaegir territory again. 

Any way to counter this?  Also, does anyone else like playing raider style? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: January 23, 2012, 04:29:11 am »

Consider employing companions so that you can specialize on the combat while your companion get the pathfinding/tracking/scouting skills so that you can evade the larger forces while you keep on raiding.
It's after you hit a certain point in your relation with the faction, -40 i think, that they attack on sight.

you can still get a fief by siding with another faction but i think you will be hard pressed for it if you don't get an army.

PokemonRocks85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 23, 2012, 07:20:28 am »

1. you could get a army
2. don't ever go to vaegir's terrirtory
3. Be a man and face them head on

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:23 am »

I believe if you were to join another faction that was at war with the Vaegirs, as soon as they declare peace again, your relationship with them gets reset to zero. After that, you can talk to the leader, and try to leave on good terms if you'd rather just be on your own again. Usually if you've got a good relationship with the leader, they won't hold it against you too much for wanting to leave.

I also believe that relationships slowly go back to zero as time passes, so you could just wait it out, but I'm not sure about that. It's been a while since I played.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: January 23, 2012, 05:57:20 pm »

1. Keep raiding alone in vaegir territory
2. If a army comes, defeat them on your own
3. ????
4. Profit

Bonus points for using your fists only

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: January 23, 2012, 06:00:34 pm »

I think you can buy back relations if you are able to sneak into their city or castle and talk to the leader of the faction.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 310