Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656881 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1935 on: July 18, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »

I tried Brytenwalda 2 months ago or so and I found it quite unplayable, it was cluttered, explained nothing, poorly written, filled with bad textures and models and much more that really just made it more torture and less gaming to me.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:30 pm »

My favourite part of Brytenwalda was coming across one of the people who got their faces in the game, for, as he put it, "I help translation Brytenwalda".
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: July 18, 2011, 03:32:43 pm »

I never understood why Brytenwalda has such bad translations. You'd expect that it would be made by inhabitants of, well, the british isles.
It's still the best mod imo.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: July 18, 2011, 03:47:34 pm »

I never understood why Brytenwalda has such bad translations. You'd expect that it would be made by inhabitants of, well, the british isles.

Just like all the people who made the Peloponnesian War Mod live in Greece?

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: July 18, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »

Not quite. Lot's of people like Greece, and would make a mod about it. Britains history, for some reason, from what I've seen, is really only interesting to British and colonials.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: July 18, 2011, 04:44:58 pm »

It's not that much british islands that are interesting, but the dark age european setting that is all over this mod, as most of other mods fantasy or not are using a more middle age medieval one.

Though unfortunately i ceased to play with Brytenwalda for all those long loading time i have everywhere, that really cut the fun after a while.

I'm currently addicted to Pendor that surprised me by its very well built background and backstory, it's a nice change over the "generic" feel Native use as a setting.

It's much more difficult too for when you're starting, as nearly every bandit groups are much stronger (and i don't mean only in number, but a group of snake cultist can make short work of your lowly militias in seconds) than every recruits even leveled ones you can get, to survive you'll have to follow missions to get xp and money , and use opportunity battle (follow lords and go help him when he attacks) to get nice loots, prisonner and experience for your very weak troops.

You really need to change your style of playing as applying Native tactics will get your army killed.

After you get a good character going and start to have strong soldiers (get companions too, they're strong and some of them are -very- strong) , you begin to stand a chance by yourself and can have some epic battles in which, unlike in Native, having knights is not equal to "i win easily" anymore.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:47:36 pm by Robsoie »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: July 18, 2011, 05:31:15 pm »

Yeah, I got all my horsemen killed in my first cavalry battle by using Native "Rush em" strategery.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: July 18, 2011, 09:01:02 pm »

I am planning on continuing the Livestream of M&B W - PoP shortly...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: July 18, 2011, 11:34:07 pm »

Just like all the people who made the Peloponnesian War Mod live in Greece?

I always found it amusing how they went to great lengths to research ancient British history, including extensive study of ancient English language, but then failed to be able to present that information to the descendants of that nation.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: July 19, 2011, 12:08:34 am »

Maybe their translators borked it up?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: July 19, 2011, 12:33:43 am »

Incoming spoiler rant about feasts
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: July 19, 2011, 03:12:27 am »

Has anyone used the diplomacy mod? It makes being a king way more fun. I believe that this mod is intergrated in a few mods

Quick Edit:

1257 AD
Terra Aeterna
InNoVative
TEatRC Warband
Knights the Last Battle
Warring States II
Brytenwalda
Floris Mod Pack

The mod is intergrated in these mods
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:14:27 am by lurtze1 »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: July 19, 2011, 09:38:18 am »

Maybe they are using actual terms, names and wording for that era of the British Isles before ...
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,136732.0.html
Try checking out the Dictionary that the creator posted... Sigh, you guys are such nubs sometimes...

What mean Brytenwalda?

The central element in early Anglo-Saxon politics is the 'imperium' (empire) over all 'English' peoples south of the Humber which Bede ascribes in his Ecclesiastical History (ii 5) to seven kings before 671. To these seven, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of Alfred's time attaches not only an eighth name but also a vernacular word, 'Bretwalda', or 'Brytenwalda'

Brytenwalda = Bryten - Britain and walda - ruler.
Brytenwalda, almost certainly the right form. 'Bretwalda' may be a 'ghost' word, born of a scribal slip

A little of History: Anno Domini 636:

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: July 19, 2011, 11:36:48 am »

Had an amazing thing happen last night. In Warband, started up a new character just to mess around a little bit. Sailed off to the Nords, got started on the beginning quest and was on my way to the hideout. Then, me and my 7 recruits got ambushed by 9 Sea Raiders. I started off the battle at about half health, so I didn't have too much hope for this battle. No decent equipment and no decent troops against Sea Raiders? This game was off to a bad start.

Started off and spent a little while shooting at them while trying not to get smacked by their throwing weapons. It went ok, but I didn't take any out. I then did some charging passes at them and injured a few with my sword before they cut my horse out from under me and knocked me out before I could even stand up. Since I have the mod that lets me people fight without me I watched them valiantly charge into the Raiders. And...those crazy axe-wielding bastards actually won! Lost all but one of them, but...damn. I must have strung them out and damage them just enough to make the difference. That or this was the weakest band of Sea Raiders ever.

In any case, I got a nice upgrade in equipment and enough money to hire Matheld. Even had a spare suit of chain for her. Looks like this game is off to a decent start after all!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: July 19, 2011, 03:52:40 pm »

Maybe they are using actual terms, names and wording for that era of the British Isles before ...
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,136732.0.html
Try checking out the Dictionary that the creator posted... Sigh, you guys are such nubs sometimes...

What mean Brytenwalda?

The central element in early Anglo-Saxon politics is the 'imperium' (empire) over all 'English' peoples south of the Humber which Bede ascribes in his Ecclesiastical History (ii 5) to seven kings before 671. To these seven, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of Alfred's time attaches not only an eighth name but also a vernacular word, 'Bretwalda', or 'Brytenwalda'

Brytenwalda = Bryten - Britain and walda - ruler.
Brytenwalda, almost certainly the right form. 'Bretwalda' may be a 'ghost' word, born of a scribal slip

A little of History: Anno Domini 636:

Bolded all of the places that either made no sense or force a person to stop and figure out what has just been said (and not in an intellectual way), due to confusing syntax, word choice, spelling, or grammar. Do the Brytenwalda developers actually think native English speakers have difficulty understanding what is going on because of the use of words from an ancient language? Or are you trying to imply that they tried their very darndest to write both the game text and all their forum posts in a now extinct dialect, intuitivity be damned?

EDIT: Really, this is all you need to see:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:59:03 pm by Grakelin »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 310