Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656726 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1680 on: June 10, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »

You talking about in Singleplayer? If so, you have control of any allied soldiers as well as your own if you're in a siege (no matter if you're Marshall or not). I'm speaking from Warband experience, so i don't know if it's not in the original M&B.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 11, 2011, 09:47:44 am »

It's true in the original. You can(and generally should) order a "Hold This Position!" to the troops of the other lords.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 11, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

I've never gotten other leaders to listen to me on either Native Expansion or Floris. I usually order my men to 'follow me' in team combat, because the allies will hang back and let me soak the damage for them if I don't force the issue of having my men try to charge at somewhat the same time as them.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 11, 2011, 02:49:06 pm »

The Peloponnesion War mod for Mount And Blade is awesome in huge battles. You see phalanxes smashing into each other, shields bashing, peltasts throwing their spears at groups of infantry, its so fun that I'm playing Rome:Total War again.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 11, 2011, 03:17:25 pm »

Not sure if "So great, I went and played something else" is the best sell for something.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 12, 2011, 07:11:41 am »

Turns out apparently that I had some string error, so all words became error strings. Had to reinstall it, thankfully it's only 700 MB.

I want Mount and Musket for Warband in singleplayer, badly.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1686 on: June 12, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »

Mount & Musket's muskets are way too inaccurate at short range. I guess it's an engine limitation, since bullets fired always fly straight - so the only way to add inaccuracy at long range is to make the starting trajectory random, introducing crazy inaccuracy at short range.

In M&B you can miss while firing point blank into someone's chest.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 12, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »

The closest you'll get is probably 1755 Old Frontier, but it's damn easy, plus the creator retired from modding. Wild Frontier is especially underpowered, I took a castle from them with 34 troops versus about 90 in the garrison. The battle ended up in 17 unconscious and 1 dead soldiers on my side. I then fought off two lords who besieged the castle by themselves, similar results. You start off with absurd stats, but that's to balance the game so you don't die when a peasant clubs you with their pistol. Some of the companions are way too OP, Lord Auldman has 10 surgery and that's how I lost so few men when fighting Wild Frontier.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 12, 2011, 09:11:16 pm »

The closest you'll get is probably 1755 Old Frontier, but it's damn easy, plus the creator retired from modding. Wild Frontier is especially underpowered, I took a castle from them with 34 troops versus about 90 in the garrison. The battle ended up in 17 unconscious and 1 dead soldiers on my side. I then fought off two lords who besieged the castle by themselves, similar results. You start off with absurd stats, but that's to balance the game so you don't die when a peasant clubs you with their pistol. Some of the companions are way too OP, Lord Auldman has 10 surgery and that's how I lost so few men when fighting Wild Frontier.
Except Old Frontier crashes my game after the first time that I managed to PLAY it.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1689 on: June 12, 2011, 09:42:30 pm »

Mount & Musket's muskets are way too inaccurate at short range. I guess it's an engine limitation, since bullets fired always fly straight - so the only way to add inaccuracy at long range is to make the starting trajectory random, introducing crazy inaccuracy at short range.

In M&B you can miss while firing point blank into someone's chest.

To be fair, guns back then were inaccurate as hell anyway, though the point-blank problem seems a little extreme.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:28 pm »

Hence why I said short range. Long range it might be correct, since round musket balls fired from a smooth bore barrel had a tendency to veer off course. But short range (say within 50 yards or so), smooth bore muskets were plenty accurate. If muskets were as inaccurate as in M&M, they never would have replaced bows and crossbows.

M&B just doesn't have the ability to model inaccuracy over distance - if a projectile is comes out of the gun straight, it will travel straight the entire distance. In M&B if you made a gun accurate at 50 yards, you're also making it just as accurate at 500 yards.

I still think the M&M guys took it a bit far though, their muskets are so inaccurate I don't think you could hit a target at 5 yards with any level of success. Due to the extreme inaccuracy the game is purely luck based, you just aim in their general direction and hope for the RNG to score a hit for you. Even point blank you get times where the bullet flys directly down as if your barrel looked like this:

While playing I had a guy run up on me and another guy with a sabre, both of us saw him coming and turned and shot - the other guy from about 5 feet away, me from RIGHT in his face. Both shots, aimed directly at his chest, missed.

I also had a time where I was slightly behind and to the left of someone, and fired at a guy in front of us. The bullet went sideways and killed my team mate.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:50 am »

Hence why I said short range. Long range it might be correct, since round musket balls fired from a smooth bore barrel had a tendency to veer off course. But short range (say within 50 yards or so), smooth bore muskets were plenty accurate. If muskets were as inaccurate as in M&M, they never would have replaced bows and crossbows.

Early muskets worked pretty much just how they are in M&M, coming out of the barrel in a random direction. Of course, M&M is somewhere around the year 1800, so it's silly the way it works.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 13, 2011, 01:23:54 am »

Early muskets worked pretty much just how they are in M&M, coming out of the barrel in a random direction. Of course, M&M is somewhere around the year 1800, so it's silly the way it works.

I doubt even the early hand cannons would have been as inaccurate in short range as they are in M&M. Even a sawed off shotgun has less scatter than the bullets in M&M.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:59 am »

Eh, I don't have an issue aiming in M&M. When you get close range just go into first person and fire. I rarely miss. Its why charges are so effective in line battles. A bunch of pissed off people who charge your flank at close range aren't really going to miss to much.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 13, 2011, 11:48:02 am »

I only tried it the one evening, maybe I was just unlucky. I hit a few people, but generally my bullets would fly way off to the side. At that one point I had my gun practically jammed into the center of his chest and still somehow missed. Even the guy who killed me after I missed was going "wtf? how did that not hit me?"
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 310