Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656704 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1635 on: June 06, 2011, 02:51:43 pm »

Did nobody but me go with the Nord?...

Hm? In my very first game I became a Nord vassal. Huscarls? Freaking amazing. Me and eighty of them could take cities single-handedly, without any causalities. It was awesome.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: June 06, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »

I play the Arabs most times. I went on a Hudge raiding party with like 10 lords. It was EPIC!!!
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: June 06, 2011, 07:31:17 pm »

Hm? In my very first game I became a Nord vassal. Huscarls? Freaking amazing. Me and eighty of them could take cities single-handedly, without any causalities. It was awesome.

*ahem*

200 Hurscarls and me with unlimited supply of arrows (or at least enough for 2000 people) vs an army of 2000 besieging my castle. No casualties.

Not amazing, over powered XD

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1638 on: June 06, 2011, 08:27:15 pm »

Interesting. Next time i'm at peace with the Nords i'll go recruit some Huscarls. I could do it now, but i'd probably have to fight my way there.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1639 on: June 06, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »

So, I got pissed at my king when he refused to grant me the town I'd taken, and renounced vassalage.  I've been running around conquering some of his castles and trouncing my old war-party buddies, and I'm wondering: is being a "masterless warlord" viable in the long term?  It seems the other kings won't recognize my lands as legitimate...is there any way to get on even footing with the royalty?

KG

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1640 on: June 06, 2011, 11:36:09 pm »

That's because you're not legitimate, you're basically a rebel running around taking land from everyone. Either ursurp the current King, or maybe conquer the other factions and bring them down to your level, i don't know.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: June 06, 2011, 11:36:38 pm »

So, I got pissed at my king when he refused to grant me the town I'd taken, and renounced vassalage.  I've been running around conquering some of his castles and trouncing my old war-party buddies, and I'm wondering: is being a "masterless warlord" viable in the long term?  It seems the other kings won't recognize my lands as legitimate...is there any way to get on even footing with the royalty?

KG

Actually, it's my opinion that conquering the entire world on your own is the best way to win the game. Screw helping some worthless ruler take over the world; make your own kingdom and seize the world for yourself!

Of course, you'll need a high right to rule if you want to get very far. But yeah, being a "masterless warlord" is perfectly viable.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1642 on: June 07, 2011, 06:23:52 am »

Actually, it's my opinion that conquering the entire world on your own is the best way to win the game. Screw helping some worthless ruler take over the world; make your own kingdom and seize the world for yourself!

Of course, you'll need a high right to rule if you want to get very far. But yeah, being a "masterless warlord" is perfectly viable.

I like the sound of it too, I just suspect it'll be difficult with every lord on the map trying to kill me.  I'm playing original Mount and Blade though, not Warband...is there a similar mechanic to "right to rule"?  By usurping my old king, as 612DwarfAvenue mentioned?

KG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:58 am »

No, except with modding perhaps. As the random Travelers will tell you "The only path closed to you would be becoming king of the realm. The people simply would not support such an upstart ruler".

Of course, if you rebel, then destroy everyone, it'll be like you're king.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: June 07, 2011, 07:11:32 am »

Original mount and blade, without modding, being the king won't work.

It was kinda why I got warband, aside from multiplayer (which is AWESOME)
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: June 07, 2011, 09:02:36 am »

I like the sound of it too, I just suspect it'll be difficult with every lord on the map trying to kill me.  I'm playing original Mount and Blade though, not Warband...is there a similar mechanic to "right to rule"?  By usurping my old king, as 612DwarfAvenue mentioned?

It's much more difficult in M&B but it can be done. You can't initiate peace negotiations with another faction as a masterless warlord, but if you kick their asses enough they will eventually offer you peace. Outright conquering the whole map with no lords on your side is pretty much out of the question, though. Since you're on your own, you have to use your wits and do some backstabbing to get ahead. See, the king you rebel agaist holds a grudge and won't let you back into the faction unless you give up the fiefs you sieze. But only one king at a time can hold a grudge, so you can constantly change your allegiance and accumulate fiefs in the process. You conquer something, request it, and then rebel against king A when it's not granted to you. Then you run to king B and sign up with him. He'll be very happy to accept you and your lands into his faction. Then you conquer something else, request it, and rebel again. Since king B is now the one with the grudge, king A will accept you back without demanding that you give up your lands. The only problem with this is that each betrayal gives you a -20 relationship penalty with the king, so you'll need to suck up to them a bit between the backstabs.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: June 07, 2011, 04:03:12 pm »

I did.
HUSCARLS FOREVER.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1647 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:02 pm »

Well darn.  Sounds like I should probably look into some of the mods then...thanks everyone for the tips!

Of course, if you rebel, then destroy everyone, it'll be like you're king.

I approve heartily of this plan.

KG

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: June 07, 2011, 04:26:14 pm »

Sword of Damocles for the original M&B is centered around running your own kingdom, recommend trying it if that's what you're into. You might have to tweak graphics settings down a bit though since it can be a bit crashy in or after battles. Reducing texture quality did the trick for me.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: June 07, 2011, 06:16:46 pm »

Sword of Damocles is like the dwarf fortress mode of M&B. Don't expect to do so well in your first game.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 310