Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656669 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1545 on: June 01, 2011, 11:36:36 am »

I tried the Floris thing, but it was extremely unstable - crashing constantly with messages about being unable to find helmet textures or rgl errors.

I suspect that's because they simply crammed too much stuff into it and the WB engine can't cope. I kept getting "out of video memory" rgl errors too, but there's a fix in one of the bug threads for this kind of thing. Weirdly, it's a sounds.txt file that basically trades some sound variety for increased stability. Give it a shot, once you iron out one or two kinks he mod is actually quite worth it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1546 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:56 am »

I tried that, and it helped a little bit, but the game was still crashing randomly telling me it couldnt find textures for a certain helmet (I forget which). Plus the performance sucked compared to regular M&B.

I prefer large hectic battles that aren't as purty and are stable to small snorefest battles with slightly better graphics that crash on the drop of a hat (or helmet, in this case).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:01 pm »

Strange. Are you sure you installed it properly? I get no such errors and the game runs smooth as silk for me.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 01, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »

I installed it the way it said, redownloaded and reinstalled it again later to see what was up. Still had crashes to do with a helmet texture or something like that (I forget exactly what it was, something about a helmet). I remember seeing others with the same issue, though - with no fix.

Might be a memory issue. I'm still on a 32 bit OS (Windows XP) so am limited to 4gb. Regardless, regular M&B runs like a race horse - Floris mod runs like a dead horse.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:31:43 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 01, 2011, 01:23:35 pm »

I'd say Floris would be almost perfect without all the bloaty unneeded eye candy lagging the game down.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: June 01, 2011, 01:36:53 pm »

Yeah, it's just too much stuff. Do we really need seventeen million swords that are completely indistinguishable from each other?
Actually, between the gamebreaking banks, ridiculous amounts of useless shit to dig through, incomprehensible troop trees, and stupidly long loading times, I think I'll go back to plain Diplomacy. Or maybe I'll try Native Expansion, though I don't really find the idea of a radical rebalancing very appealing.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:36 pm »

Been playing Floris and loving it. The improved battle tactics screen is just great.
Completely Destroyed the Veagis(spelling?) nation using the tactic formally known as "Nord Meat Wall".

Got my shit wrecked by Swadian however. The combination of heavy horsemen, longbowmen and tankish infantry flattened me good.
I might just be bad but the balance felt a bit off for me.
Having horsemen charge through my 2-3 man thick wall seemed a bit BULLSHIT. Thought horsemen were used to mob up retreaters?

The tech tree is interesting. But hell. Couldn't they have stuck with names I could atleast remember?
I find it very hard to try and rank one Mongolian name over another when I have no prior experiences with Mongolian.

Might be getting a bit sick of the "vanilla" setting however. Sword of Dama was alright but again had some problems.

Going to try out Brytenwalda, the thought of being a Gaelic bandit strikes me as being frickin' awesome.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: June 01, 2011, 01:57:27 pm »

Cavalry is designed to carve through infantry with relative ease, so long as the infantry doesn't have spears. A 2-3 man line is actually nothing. Did you see Braveheart? That twelve-man line looked like it was doomed when the one man line of knights rode down on them, until it turned out that they all had wooden spikes on the ground.

Horsemen being used to mop up retreaters, indeed. A horse in the medieval era was the equivalent investment of a car today. Why would you buy a car just to ensure the enemy couldn't have mercy?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:00:08 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 01, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »

That's the thing. They were all mostly polemen. When I attempted to zerk the Swardians solo the pikemen would take me down in a few hits nor were they in any form of ranking. Just charging at me.

I know horsemen have always been rolling tanks in the game, but one would think walls would be the most efficent means of dealing with a charge. Oh well.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: June 01, 2011, 02:21:52 pm »

The kerselvingers have polearms but they are shortspears, and not actually all that effective against cavalry charge. They are great foes when trying to sneak into a city, though.

It's weird, but the Nord pikes don't have anti-cavalry applications. The Swadians, on the other hand, have incredibly strong troops. It doesn't make their nation any more survivable, though, since everybody else carves them to pieces and then buys their troops.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 01, 2011, 02:28:58 pm »

I would enjoy Floris if you could pick and choose what features you want. Two of the most glaring features is awkward sword animations for no reason and irritatingly labyrinthine tech trees with unrememberable names.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 01, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »

The tech tree makes me annoyed, too. I don't even go down most of the lines, because there seem to be more of them than I have room in my party.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: June 01, 2011, 02:54:56 pm »

I would enjoy Floris if you could pick and choose what features you want. Two of the most glaring features is awkward sword animations for no reason and irritatingly labyrinthine tech trees with unrememberable names.

Yeah, what this mod really needs is some kind of advanced installation thing that lets you choose which bits you want and then pieces them together into a functional mod.

The name thing is particularly stupid. I can even understand the Vaegir ones since they're Slavic (Russian, I'm guessing). "Vaegir Luchnik" just means "Vaegir Archer". So why the fuck isn't that guy named "Vaegir Archer"?! It does absolutely nothing other than make it more difficult to keep track of your army. There is such a thing as translation convention - if my character knows enough Vaegir to compose a Vaegir army, then he knows what that name means and it makes no sense to deliberately give it to me in a language I don't know.
And the prefixes just make it worse. Yeah, they tell you the type and tier of the troop, but all that does is make the incomprehensible name completely meaningless. After a while you won't even bother reading the names, you'll just look at the prefixes. Whoever came up with this wasn't using his brain in the process.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 01, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »

Thats why I much prefer the Native Mod Compilation. It has lots of great mods without adding the ones that drastically change Native or weigh the game down with added graphics. The only extra item the mod has (and only the full version has it) is the deployable pavise.

Compared to Native: Troops are the same, equipment is the same, animations are the same, graphics are the same. It just has a bunch of extra campaign-level and pre-battle features and options. Only a few of the mods affect the actual battle portion at all - formations, entrenchment, the ability to use companions as commanders. It lets you export/import the companions as well, which is handy if you want to change the choices you made for them early on without completely restarting.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:49 pm »

Muhaha, this morning I attacked a Swadian lord(we had no war with them previously), then took a city and two castles, by myself, with about 120 guys(most of whom were Arquebusiers).

And the Queen had the balls to give the city to some other lord.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 310