Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656578 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1380 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:35 am »

So if I can't set my Handcannons to fire only when infantry approach, and I can't find one myself, how do I keep my gun lines from getting rushed down?

I'm a bit rusty on what command possibilities there are in the original M&B, but can't you order archers (which I assume cannoneers get classified under) to hold fire, and then fire at will when you need them?

You can, try backspace while fighting.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1381 on: May 16, 2011, 09:08:19 am »

I got trashed by a group of 50 deserters again and they crippled me by taking all my weapons, my horse and my main armor and my last save is more then an hour ago, is there some utility to edit my inventory? I keep finding references to something called an item cheat but absolutely nothing more concrete then "duh, use item cheat!".

Camp: Mod menu/enable cheats, then camp menue:Cheats!/find item

Lots to find there, just go next group of items and look at what they have..most everything is Lordly, so it is really cheating, but to be honest, I used this to gather all ally npcs and dressed them in excellent gear after my saved game was ruined..speaking of which, make periodic backups if you play no quit without saving.

@Pandarsenic

I am not sure you can hold fire in M&B, at any rate, I would stay away from cannoneers and go with line infantry. They work very well against everyone, ranged horsemen is dicey, but still good. If using M&B get some merc infantry, polearm users, and have them screen your gun units by putting them forward. Most fights are all about holding the right ground, I like holding the low ground, which is counter intuitive, but against other ranged, like archers/mounted, it works very well becuase I use lots of repeater guns that have a med range. Basicly, holding low ground lets your boys blast people in the face at close range, and it fucks up 80% of enemy cav charges, creating a wonderful rain of ragdoll horses.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: May 16, 2011, 12:14:27 pm »

hold fire is F2, F2 by memory, but I am probably wrong, its something like squad 1, weapon orders, squad 1, hold fire,
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: May 16, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »

Is there a specific reason why my "deadly" gun is identical to the cheaper store bought version with the melee function removed? Can I trade it in for 1k of free cash and a better gun or does that "deadly" title have any hidden benefits?

Image attached for reference.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, Imperials are ridiculously OP against Laurians, I would've gotten a flawless victory against an army of equal size if not for their random (grenades?) that kill about ten of their own every time they go off. And it's not just the cannoneers, I've seen huge amounts of indiscriminate kills attributed to recruits and my biggest IFF failure(35+, including me and my entire Leviathan unit) was claimed by a Guard.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 16, 2011, 03:10:26 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed often that really expensive outfits are often available in a store alongside far less expensive and often far more effective equipment. I'd say switch out.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: May 16, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »

I can hold fire, but Original M&B's lack of custom unit groups means it's everybody or nobody. The closest I can get to a custom handcannon unit group is having my companions carry them since they're always classified as Infantry/Cavalry.

This can cause difficulties.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:24 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed often that really expensive outfits are often available in a store alongside far less expensive and often far more effective equipment. I'd say switch out.

That's because these expensive items have modifiers, like "thick" or "reinforced" for armor. These only add a fixed number of stat points but increase the price by a percentage. Hence, the better the base item the less the relative benefit is going to be and the more it's going to cost extra.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »

hold fire is F2, F2 by memory, but I am probably wrong, its something like squad 1, weapon orders, squad 1, hold fire,
Not in the original(which I presume he is using). It's F5. Somewhere around there. F2 is Follow Me, F1 is Hold this Position, F3 is Charge, and I think F4 is Mount/Dismount.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 16, 2011, 08:29:02 pm »

Lets see... in vanilla I think it goes
Movement
Formation
Fire
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: May 17, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »

I somehow managed to capture Dramug Castle singlehandledly, despite being outnumbered around 3-to-1 at the start(for some reason, both Boyars staying decided to ditch, leaving only the weak garrison). And this is a castle I've had problems with, because the enemies would, for some reason, charge down the ramps and smash my troops. Only this time, it didn't work.

I requested the castle, and a few days later, I see the banner of someone else being raised there. Wondering what the hell was going on, I get a message from the Queen of "Congratulations! Here's 5000 denars, f*ck your efforts and loyalty, f*ck you and the Heavy Saddle Horse you rode in on, I've given the castle to someone else". Bitch.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1390 on: May 18, 2011, 08:01:25 pm »

I downloaded the Fire & Sword game and gave it a go (trial mode, since I haven't bought it). I really wanted to like it, since the premise sounds like fun - but I was disappointed. Granted, I haven't experienced some of the new features - wasn't able to try the explosives thing on a castle (I assume you need engineering skill at a certain level or something?) or do much large scale combat due to the level limit, but from what I saw it seems pretty poorly polished.

I ordered a mace from the arms merchants in town and it gave me a poleaxe labeled mace. I ordered a polish poleaxe and it gave me a fighting pick labeled as a poleaxe. The send-a-caravan makes making money ridiculously easy once you have a small bit of coin saved up, I found two neighboring castles with vastly different prices for velvet, and was able to buy a velvet caravan for about 8k and bring it to the destination (which, as I said, was adjacent - a very short ride away) and get 88k. I was able to repeat this and get 1 million credits within a few weeks. It's the only way I see to make decent money though. Quests pay so little that its effectively nothing (50 thalers to kill a group of bandits? yay). Loot is worth a little bit, but not enough to be worth fighting bandits for it - even with cheapo marksmen recruits armed with nothing but the cheapest musket I lost more re-recruiting them than I got from the battle, even if I only lost 1 or 2 guys and killed 30. Trying to fight with sword wielding infantry against the gun-armed bandits didn't end well, and the decent melee weapons are just as expensive as the guns.

I played around with the custom mercenary system, and it was a bit funky as well. They start as recruits and can be upgraded (which makes their wages go way way up, and costs upgrading fees) even though they have the same equipment no matter the tier, so upgrading them only adjusts their skills very slightly - I found recruits to be pretty much equivalent to the elites, the type of gun I bought them mattered more than the troop level. All the rest of the upgrades just seems to needlessly add cost to recruiting troops, since the actual boosts they get is minimal. Troops with full armor die vs a gun shot just as easily as those with no armor, yet the armor costs so much you can get several unarmored troops for every armored one. I guess it might help if you're fighting against archers. The more expensive musket costs twice as much as the cheapest one, so you can have 2x as many troops with the cheaper one as you can get with the more expensive one - and the difference seems to be minimal. It's difficult to compare, seeing as finding the actual stats of the weapons you're buying for your troops seems to be impossible. Even checking the shops until you find a gun with the same name, you can't be sure if they're the same as the ones the troops will get, since there are multiple differing guns with the same names. There also doesn't seem to be a way to restore the troop to the original, unupgraded version - so if you gear up a type of troop, they'll never be as cheap to hire as they were at the start.

I tried one siege, but obviously couldn't do much due to the level limit. With a group of 60 troops I built ladders and assaulted the castle, and there were plenty of ladders - but trying to actually climb any of them was suicide due to all the gun armed troops shooting at you. With 60 infantry with the best possible gear charging the castle, they all got gunned down before even one managed to reach the top of a ladder. Going again with 60 marksmen with the best equipment resulted in a very one sided gun battle, where all my marksmen got shot before managing to hit a single enemy. Going in armed with 4 stacks of small grenades finally resulted with a few enemies dead, since you can hit the wall and still somehow have the blast kill the troops on the other side. Only 3 of those to a stack though. Siege difficulty is definitely way way up - not sure if thats a good thing or a bad one. I guess if I had the engineering to do the alternate siege mode (blow hole in wall) it might be easier.

Haven't tried any of the stories, since I doubt I'd get far before leveling too high for the trial mode. So I can't comment on them.

All in all, the trial doesn't make me want to purchase the game - even at future bargain bin pricing. The base Warband game is great, but this new mod for sale just kinda sucks in pretty much every way.

The annoying non-skippable tutorial sucks too.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:13 pm »

The annoying non-skippable tutorial sucks too.
Tab.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1392 on: May 18, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »

Ah, could have sworn I tried to tab out and nothing happened.

I stand corrected. Tutorial is skippable.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: May 18, 2011, 10:32:58 pm »

The feature I like most in Warband and F&S is the speed up feature on the map.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:17 am »

You can speed up map travel in vanilla warband? How? I've only seen a setting for it in some mods.

I consider With Fire & Steel to be just a half-done mod with a price tag. A lot of the total conversions available for free are far better. I just tried The Eagle & The Radiant Cross for the first time yesterday and it looks like everything WF&S tries to be and more.

Only problem I have in tEatRC is that the little log messages you usually get in the chat area every time someone is killed and stuff like that are almost always missing.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 310