Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656581 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1350 on: May 14, 2011, 07:07:38 pm »

I have about the same general strategy but slightly tweaked.

It usually boils down to whatever bow unit I have available (at the moment it's Swadian longbowmen) and a strong core of melee units. Those melee units happen to be Sarranid at the moment, specifically their mace wielding infantry. Since blunt is calculated engine wise to do more damage against heavy armored opponents it works out pretty well. The lighter troops usually get taken out by my archer line (Safe an elevated on a near by hill, preferably behind my infantry) then when the heavy stuff gets close my macemen charge in and bash some skulls. Only draw back to this strategy in cavalry armies, especially since Sarranid borders Kerhgit lands meaning that at any point in time I'm getting trounced by a horde of 60+ horsemen. For some reason my Sarranid macemen melt when they get hit by a charge and when they fall my archers general are next. So far the strategy I've adapted to is setting up my line then having my companions, who I normally just use as battlefield security guards, counter-charge. They don't do much damage but they remove enough momentum from the horsemen that they trickle into my lines instead of smashing into it.

I would appreciate it if someone had a better strategy for dealing with those god damn Kerhgits. I'm trying to get me some of those heavy Sarranid horsemen but they all get killed off by said Kerhgits before they get the appropriate amount of xp.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 14, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »

Well shooting them in EatRC works pretty well
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:37 pm »

I think you're on the right track. Once you get actual heavy knights like Swadian knights or Mamlukes, you can steamroll the Khergits as their heavy units are really fragile compared to the other factions' tanks. Also, they suck at siege battles.

orcishwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 14, 2011, 07:21:24 pm »

Actually, I have a strategy for taking out horsemen that I use. Its more or less, very simple. When the horses charge towards you, tell your units to move back 10 paces, when they collide with your first line, tell them to advance ten paces. This usually locks them in a half circle around the cavalry, forcing the ones up front, and some of the middle dwelling ones, to stay and fight your infantry. If you've got archers on a hill nearby, they'll snipe the riders off the horses pretty easily, depending on their level, and the armor of the horsemen.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 14, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »

In warband, I just told my units to stand close together and hold ground on top of a hill.

Any khergit who came close was dehorsed and gutted, and the ones that stayed away only ever hit shields and were eventually sniped off by me.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1355 on: May 14, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »

I personally like going with armies composed of nothing but Nord infantry because of their throwing weapons, usually of the Warrior or Veteran rank (warrior is when they get throwing weapons). Against infantry and archers, you can put them in a loose line and have them hold their fire to keep their shields up - then fire at will once enemies start to get close for a devastating thrown weapon barrage. If fighting cavalry you can just tighten up their ranks by having them move closer together, and cavalry will usually get bogged down in them and killed. Their throwing weapons can be effective against cavalry too, especially if they are riding lightly armored horses. You just have to be careful to tell them to hold their fire if they're taking fire from archers or crossbowmen, as they'll happily lower their shields to engage in a thrown weapon vs archer war even at long range.

Funny story about Nord infantry, the other day I had a bunch of warriors and veterans and was attacked by a Rhodok army composed almost entirely of crossbowmen. Their lord had them all lined up sniping at me. I had my guys line up, hold their fire, and advance until they were very close - then I told them to fire at will right as most of the crossbowmen fired. The crossbowmen got massacred by flying axes and javelins while attempting to reload their crossbows.

Main reason I don't generally recruit archers is I fill that gap with my companions though. I like getting myself and my companions up to 4-6 or so power draw and equipping everyone with war bows. My current game I have 7 companions leveled up to 6 power draw and 300 archery, armed with war bows and khergit arrows. They're real vicious. In sieges I equip them with 3 stacks of arrows and they snipe everything right off the walls. Regular fights they get elite scimitars and huscarl shields with 1 stack of arrows and the bow.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 14, 2011, 08:22:34 pm »

Archer companions are massacre. The same unrecalled mod as earlier, I had about 12 companions all using a crossbow that did 80 pierce damage. It was terrifying to see them go, firing in twos and threes, with the enemy knights just dying in little clusters.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 14, 2011, 09:13:13 pm »

God Sarranid cities are craptastic economically. Since the average Sarranid noble has a speed of 3.2 and the average speed of a 35+ Desert Bandit party is 4.9 every caravan entering Sarranid is doomed to being raided. Plus for some reason half of them are Pages and Black Khergits, Pages being slightly above average mounted knights and Black Khergit being idk. I just fought a band of 56 Desert Bandits with 98 prisoners. Only way I could catch them is by slimming down my party low enough that they chased me instead of me chasing them.

Not sure if this is an issue in vanilla warband but with the floris mod pack it means that Sarranid has the worst 3 cities commerce wise.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 14, 2011, 10:07:38 pm »

I generally use the behavior of Khergits where they run away from pursuing horsemen to steer them into my battle line with incredibly satisfying RIP AND TEAR ensuing.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 15, 2011, 12:37:06 am »

Horse archers are a pain in the ass if you have all ground pounders, aka infantry, but if you have ranged as well then I'd use three lines by setting 3 groups (warband). Mounted units tend to try to get around the sides and behind your ranks, so manually set 2 offsides units in behind the main line, one group on each side about 10 paces behind the main line and 10 paces to left/right of the last man in the front ranks. These folks should have ranged (crossbows or guns if possible, aka anti-heavy armor) and melee, so I assign one or two heros/companions in each group if you can so you can get a mix of ranged and melee. Your toon should hold the center, and ranged kill, or melee if possible, anything the slips past.

Sure, the Imperials of EatRC make short work of most armies, but I've had minor problems against mounted armies, generally I still do very well, but I lose more men than normal.

But with three groups, cav heavy armies tend to get killed and skinned in short order, though, the men tell me that Rhodok hide makes the best toliet paper...very soft
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:38:37 am by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 15, 2011, 04:22:51 am »

I tried EarTC, but it complained about my version of Warband(it's the most recent, Steam one) and there's no ingame music and I spawn without weapons when I join tournaments or on the practice field.

Solutions?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 15, 2011, 05:15:01 am »

Also, I'm given a starting horse that I can't use and the player damage reduction is bugged, looters throwing rocks do double digit damage.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 15, 2011, 05:25:09 am »

...and being defeated by looters through pure BULLSHIT causes the game to get stuck.

What the fuck is wrong with this mod and why does everybody think it's any good?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 15, 2011, 06:56:17 am »

So far, I'mma guess because guns are REALLY fun to use.

What's the best gun? IS there one?

Of those ones I have, the Repeating Rifle takes AGES to aim and is as inaccurate as my Flintlock while the Flintlock Pistol is hindered by its long reload time which has to happen after each shot.

I haven't tried an Arquebuse yet but it looks like a good sniping weapon.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 15, 2011, 07:05:39 am »

Elephant Gun has the highest accuracy I've seen, and it's reload is fast(one shot). However, I only ever found it as loot, and I don't know which faction carries it(probably Imperials). There's a double-barrel something that's very high end, and one shot's about as good as the Arquebus.

And then there's the Hand Cannon. Tip for the Hand Cannon, ride against the flank of the enemy line, fire into their midst, retreat, rinse, repeat until they get close to your guys.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 310