Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656552 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1305 on: May 11, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked already but in E&tRC, I've got this problem with the update text (the bit in he lower left corner of the screen that scrolls past with information.) either stops for a bit then comes back, or disapears all together.

I thought it wouldn't be to much of a biggie but it's got surprisingly annoying without having it <w>

Yes, its a known bug. No I don't know if there is a fix

Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 11, 2011, 02:09:02 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked already but in E&tRC, I've got this problem with the update text (the bit in he lower left corner of the screen that scrolls past with information.) either stops for a bit then comes back, or disapears all together.

I thought it wouldn't be to much of a biggie but it's got surprisingly annoying without having it <w>

Ok thanks, I must of missed it in the bug thread.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 11, 2011, 02:14:39 pm »

After a bit of hunting, there appears to be an unofficial fix on page 67 of the thread, specifically a problem with scripts.txt and menus.txt
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 11, 2011, 02:39:45 pm »

I love Swadian longbows... thats why I fully intend to take them over the first chance I get. Not to mention that Praven and Dhirim are usually one of the richest cities.
Funny, I seem to recall the swadians used crossbows... I seem to recall the vaegir were the ones who used bows... At least I remember them being the best at it.
I recall the same, swadian and rhodok sharpshooters used crossbows. Not sure if it's floris that changed it or what.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1309 on: May 11, 2011, 02:45:07 pm »

Swadians with longbows? Thats a change. I prefer their crossbows in Native :D

The standard ranged unit types are:

Khergits - Khergit bows (on horses, obviously)
Nords - Longbows
Sarranids - Nomad bows and Strong bows
Vaegirs - War bows and Strong bows
Swadians - Heavy crossbows
Rhodoks - Sniper crossbows

A mod changing Swadians to use bows is kinda silly imo. Plenty of bow using troops already.

This custom troop thing from the Diplomacy part of the mod compilation (full .9) is nutty. The customizeable ranged units have 236 ranged weapon skills (compared to 140 of vaegir marksmen), and can be customized to have pavise shields, war bows, khergit arrows, 1h weapons like swords or axes or fighting picks, and byrnies. I'm gonna have to mod them to tone them down so they aren't so ridiculously overpowered lol.

Similar thing with the equipment selection on the infantry lines. You can give them a full set of black armor (high defense armor that dates back to an early version of the game, which afaik isn't normally used in the game) and huscarl shields, with a wide variety of powerful weapons like elite scimitars or military hammers. Out of curiosity I equipped a group of them with full black armor, huscarl shields, and military hammers, and battled them with some Nord huscarls - the huscarls got slaughtered. I instead went with Heraldic mail, Vaegir war helmets, Sarranid mail boots, and Gauntlets just to tone them down a bit (a difference of 3 head, 6 torso, 8 leg armor) and they still kick serious ass. Equipping them all with military picks makes them murder other heavily armored troops. Only downside is none of these troops have athletics, which sucks for world map travel speed.

Guess while I'm modding things I'll set the ranged units down to 140 skill and give the foot units 5 athletics, which is what almost all the other high tier infantry get. And make equipment selections that aren't ridiculously OP :D
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 11, 2011, 02:46:25 pm »

After a bit of hunting, there appears to be an unofficial fix on page 67 of the thread, specifically a problem with scripts.txt and menus.txt

Thank you very much for that, I'll go look at it now.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 11, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »

The thing where the update text vanishes would be from too much text going by. It's a bug with the engine, but generally isn't a problem in normal gameplay. The way it works is text comes up, and fades out after being displayed for a few seconds. Text slowly scrolls up as it comes in. If a bunch of text comes up at once it can get backed up in the scrolling and will start to fade out even before it has made its way to the screen. This causes the text to appear to have vanished, even though its technically still scrolling by - just invisible due to the fade out. 

This is generally only caused by debug info popping up, or in battles if you use cheats to kill a bunch of stuff at once (thus triggering lots of messages). It can also be caused in a mod if they have a buggy bit of code that throws a bunch of errors. If thats what happened, you could go into notes -> recent messages, and see what it was.

If you wait a bit the text will eventually all scroll by and new text will start being visible again.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 11, 2011, 03:34:39 pm »

Yeah that does appear to of been the problem, I just went into the files and disabled the function that was spamming text about EXP improvments.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 11, 2011, 05:27:56 pm »

Good god. Tehlrog castle. Anybody else know what I'm talking about? I swear that its walls are made out of butter, the place is so easy to capture. Guess who got it as his fief? Me, of course. And guess who decides to come and take it? The Rhodoks. And not just any Rhodoks, oh no. These Rhodoks had just assembled their war party. That's right, there was around 300 of the guys.

I (Rather foolishly in hindsight) decided to protect the place. Several battles later, I've lost around half of my personal army, 2/3rds of the garrison, and I'm sure that the lords resting in Tehlorog castle lost a chuck of guys too. The kicker? My personal army was pretty much Nord Huscarls and Rhodok Sharpshooters. The elite guys. And now I have to go and rebuild my entire army. Again.

Gah, I'm pissed.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 11, 2011, 06:02:34 pm »

Heh, I know what you mean. Tehlrog is rather difficult to defend due to the ramp being so big, enemies come up in big groups and just swarm right onto the wall.

I was able to defend it with an army of mostly Nord warriors and veterans by having them hold position right on the edge of the ramp and myself stand to the side a bit and just repeatedly cut down one after another enemy as they came up with my elite scimitar, and my line of warriors held pretty good. I lost quite a few troops though.

Most of the sieges are just poorly designed. Tehlrog is far too easy, while some are way difficult.

Rivacheg is a serious pain to siege because, even though it is a siege tower siege, the wall doesn't have a wide opening - you have to climb through the narrow little crenelle. Worse, the enemies respawn a few feet from this location - so your troops never manage to get up for long. Even if you manage to jump through and abuse the AI by hacking away at their backs and get a group of troops through, they quickly get overwhelmed by the respawning forces and never really make a foothold. Only way I managed to capture the place was by jumping over the defenders and abusing their AI by hacking away at their backs while my troops tried in vain to get through, and even that took me ages to do because I had to make 3 attempts (first attempt I died trying to get through, second I died to an arrow in the head after getting through and killing a good many of them) and each attempt required building a new siege tower. The opening is so narrow that as a defender you could order your troops to stand aside and just sit there hacking the enemy down one by one as they try to get in. The time I did defend it I just went in with 3 stacks of arrows and my bow, and shot the enemy to pieces one headshot at a time while they lined up on the siege tower in a line waiting to get in. Killed over 100 of them with the arrows I had with me, then killed a few hundred more after refilling on the few archers I had lost to enemy fire. All in all the enemy lost 500 men and I lost 13, 9 of which were archers. I gained way too much experience in that fight :o

Khudan is another difficult one to siege for similar reasons. It has a little bitty narrow ladder leading up to a crenelle. I say Rivacheg is worse though, solely because you have to take so long to rebuild the siege tower if you fail.

Actually, I think all the Vaegir cities are like that - narrow ladders leading to a narrow crenelle. Makes them tough to conquer and easy to defend.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:09:28 pm by Paul »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »

I love Swadian longbows... thats why I fully intend to take them over the first chance I get. Not to mention that Praven and Dhirim are usually one of the richest cities.
Funny, I seem to recall the swadians used crossbows... I seem to recall the vaegir were the ones who used bows... At least I remember them being the best at it.
I recall the same, swadian and rhodok sharpshooters used crossbows. Not sure if it's floris that changed it or what.
Floris changes the Swadians to be heavily based off of Britain and France. Vaegirs in turn are based off of Russia.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 11, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »

Vaegirs in turn are based off of Russia.
Aren't they like that already?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 11, 2011, 06:32:11 pm »

Actually, I think all the Vaegir cities are like that - narrow ladders leading to a narrow crenelle. Makes them tough to conquer and easy to defend.
This is, actually, historically accurate. Due to how painstakingly hard it was for most armies to invade Russia in RL. Of course, this had very little to do with castles, but eh.
Hello Hunam

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 11, 2011, 07:31:17 pm »

I don't quite recall what mod it was, but the gist of it was that it did a lot to make armors more distinct by their weight class, and basing troops off of how mobile/armored they should be. Few of the things they added were units that were built for defense duty, and skirmisher troops that had way fast bows that were extraordinarily weak. These guys were supposed to be minor annoyances, some cheap upkeep person that had a really low cap on advancement and basically served as an arrow wall. You could still defend Rivacheg with these guys, just because of how easy it was for them to nail all their shots on the enemies. 
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 11, 2011, 11:43:15 pm »

I think we can probably all agree, the worst map is one of the swadian ones where the defenders spawn behind a one way wall and slowly filter out one by one. I hope they fixed that one at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 310