Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656475 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1140 on: May 05, 2011, 12:40:20 am »

I don't have much interest in buying Warband when it appears to be nothing more than the same game but with (awful) multiplayer (except for that BAB looks awesome) and mods that original M&B hasn't.

I'll take recommendations for original M&B Mods, but not planning on buying Warband just for mods.

Its more that warband has the good mods/current mods, and vanilla has alot of stuff that almost makes the game unplayable (the cow missions? seriously? was this ever playtested by human beings?)

They actually become tolerable once you run TweakMB. One simple change - switching cattle from "flee in terror" to "follow you" makes them (almost) worth taking!  :D
I mean, I can see what the devs were going for, and it's marginally realistic. But, seriously, if there's ever a situation where 'realistic' and 'fun' diverge, and you're designing a game instead of a simulator, pick the 'fun' option>:(

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #1141 on: May 05, 2011, 12:41:19 am »

(awful) multiplayer
wat..... Are we talking about the same game here?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 05, 2011, 12:43:14 am »

Warband is actually the latest and most polished game same game, more or less, in what should've been a patch instead of a new release, and most of the good mods are already on there and still being updated and worked on.

Yeaaaaaaaahhhhh probably not gonna buy the same game twice.

(awful) multiplayer

No idea. I've never played M&B:WB so all my impressions of it are what I've heard from you guys.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 05, 2011, 01:06:12 am »

Hm.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with this F&S.

First of all, after three games, the developers have utterly failed to fix even the most basic issues.
1. Surrendering has NO benefits. Zip, Nada, Nought, Nothing. And it STILL HAS NO FUCKING CONFIRMATION. AND IT'S ON EVERY FUCKING BATTLE SCREEN LIKE A GIGANTIC "PRESS X TO INSTA-FUCKING-LOSE".

2. AI. I know making AI in a game like this is difficult, but it's been 3 Games. THREE GAMES.

3. Auto-resolve, before starting combat or after being K.O.'d, is still utterly broken.

4. AI.

5. They didn't use a lot of features, removed already existing features, and the presentation itself is quite lacking. Ever heard of bayonets? Having the ability to use ranged weapons as a melee option already exists in Warband, but not in F&S. They gave us character customization in Warband, but took it away in F&S. For what? Historical accuracy? Rifles with Pistol animations? You couldn't iron out these blatant mistakes in testing before releasing it?

6. Did I mention the AI?

In the end I feel that I paid for a badly re-hashed, half-hearted mod. Not a full-game. Guns and grenades are nothing new, 1866 and China Battlefield for the original M&B had them. Battle continuation already existed for ages. The modders are practically GIVING them these features, why are they not using them?

And what is with these ridiculous item costs? Did they decide they made Warband too easy and go "Hey instead of making climbing the ladder of wealth more fun to do, we should make it longer so people spend more time doing it."?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:10:08 am by Blaze »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1144 on: May 05, 2011, 01:07:40 am »

Warband is actually the latest and most polished game same game, more or less, in what should've been a patch instead of a new release, and most of the good mods are already on there and still being updated and worked on.

(awful) multiplayer

No idea. I've never played M&B:WB so all my impressions of it are what I've heard from you guys.

HEARSAY I SAY! this whole discourse is odd.
I got nothing

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:31 am »

5. They didn't use a lot of features, removed already existing features, and the presentation itself is quite lacking. Ever heard of bayonets? Having the ability to use ranged weapons as a melee option already exists in Warband, but not in F&S. They gave us character customization in Warband, but took it away in F&S. For what? Historical accuracy? Rifles with Pistol animations? You couldn't iron out these blatant mistakes in testing before releasing it?
You can use guns as a melee option in f&s. You just club them, as bayonets are at 1600s invention.

I am really having fun with F&S, because of the added tactical concepts. You had to do a bit of that in warband, but in warband army composition was completely pointless. Spam swadian knight/horse archers for normal battles, nord huscarls for sieges, with a few bowmen/crossbowmen. In wf&s, you have to take a mix, and actually tell people who to engage.

The only thing i really have problems with is the ai not being all that great on the mp maps, and the expense required for weapons/armor, compared to the cost of troops.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #1146 on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:51 am »

You can use guns as a melee option in f&s. You just club them, as bayonets are at 1600s invention.

I am really having fun with F&S, because of the added tactical concepts. You had to do a bit of that in warband, but in warband army composition was completely pointless. Spam swadian knight/horse archers for normal battles, nord huscarls for sieges, with a few bowmen/crossbowmen. In wf&s, you have to take a mix, and actually tell people who to engage.

The only thing i really have problems with is the ai not being all that great on the mp maps, and the expense required for weapons/armor, compared to the cost of troops.

If you don't powerplay and pick a them and go with it in Warband it is more fun than "Hey these troops are best a this, use only these." I have much more fun using only one faction till I conquer another. I also want to follow a theme when I play instead of just picking the best of everything and look like a clown on a horse, when I see videos on Youtube of people in full plate on a armoured horse firing their longbow I facedesk.

Also, Warband Multiplayer is awesome, even if it still really needs crouch and sprint.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 05, 2011, 03:29:33 am »

(awful) multiplayer

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:21 am »

Yeah, didn't feel like buying the same game twice after how old original M&B got. I decided whether I was likely to enjoy it based on mostly what I heard in this thread and decided against.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 05, 2011, 04:53:02 am »

Just to clear something up. Fire and sword isn't developed by the original developers. The engine was licensed out to a third party similar to the quake engine and its commercial variants.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 05, 2011, 05:10:39 am »

Just to clear something up. Fire and sword isn't developed by the original developers. The engine was licensed out to a third party similar to the quake engine and its commercial variants.

I don't really see how this can be an excuse (not saying you're using it as one however).
Why did Taleworlds decide to go with this unpolished crap when there are so many free mods that improve the game so much?

I know this game was made before Warband and released to Easten Europe. So why are we getting it now in 2011, almost half way through the year? It's not like it's been improved at all in the years it took to "translate".

They should of never released it and marketed it as an improvement on warband.
Let it be the Easten Europian edition or something.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13:34 am »

So yeah, what non-Warband non-FaS mods do people have to recommend? I want to like this game, I really do, but Native wasn't doing it for me.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:46 am »

I don't really see how this can be an excuse (not saying you're using it as one however).
Why did Taleworlds decide to go with this unpolished crap when there are so many free mods that improve the game so much?

That's just it, Fire and Sword isn't developed by Taleworlds. It's developed by a Polish developer who licensed the engine. And no, you're right, it's not an excuse for the work in FaS, but there are comments floating around in this thread that suggest some people think the original developers were responsible.

I know this game was made before Warband and released to Easten Europe. So why are we getting it now in 2011, almost half way through the year? It's not like it's been improved at all in the years it took to "translate".

Actually from what I recall it was made after warband was released. I think this thread was the first time anyone has heard of it:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=75496.0

They should of never released it and marketed it as an improvement on warband.
Let it be the Easten Europian edition or something.

You've piqued my interest, where exactly does it say it's an improvement?
So yeah, what non-Warband non-FaS mods do people have to recommend? I want to like this game, I really do, but Native wasn't doing it for me.

Native Expansion

Eagle and the Radiant Cross

Custom Settlements

The last days (when this comes out)

Age of Black Powder

Fire Arrow

Expanded Gameplay

If you're willing to downgrade your version, it would open a new door of which mods you can pick.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:22:14 am by Flare »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 05, 2011, 05:28:36 am »

So yeah, what non-Warband non-FaS mods do people have to recommend?

Sword of Damocles

Changing a lot of the game. Adds a story (without it being forced on you like in FS), the game plays more of a rts since you can build places to upgrade your men, you can become king and change the government.
With a lot more stuff ontop of that like new factions, guilds, religions etc.

First started playing the warband one but it lacked a lot of the features. If the first mount and blade wasn't so choppy on my computer I would trade games post haste.

You've piqued my interest, where exactly does it say it's an improvement?

Well I bought the game off the steam store, which is the only place I looked (my fault I guess).
Although it never clearly states that it's an improvement, the wording is a bit vague often saying things like "additional", "added",  "new" which implied to me the old features were there as well.

fakeedit, found this on the steam store
With Fire & Sword builds and expands upon the highly regarded combat system from Mount & Blade: Warband.
Makes it sound like they took Warband and just added things to it.
Darn their delicate wording.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:30:27 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 05, 2011, 05:32:25 am »

The Eagle and Radiant cross is great. It has Romans.
In what is essentially the napoleonic era.
With guns.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 310