Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656159 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1020 on: April 29, 2011, 01:47:50 am »

Having just bought Warband a few weeks ago, I ain't touching it. I like Taleworlds, but it's true, they've repackaged a lot of the same content several times now. To me Warband was worth the full price, as a gesture to Taleworlds for all the effort they've gone through over the years. But by now, they've reached the point where I treat them like every other dev house....and this seems like slightly overpriced DLC.

Ya see, I'd make the same argument... except F&S is only $15, $13.50 with the pre-purchase sale, and while there certainly wouldn't have been enough new content to warrant a full-price release or anything, $15 seems pretty darn fair. (Plus, you get TF2 hats. Which, given the moronic collectors over there, will probably end up selling for considerably more than $15 on the open market in the next three weeks.  ::) )

One other comment: The store page mentions "A storyline based on the cult novel from Nobel-prize winner author Henry Sienkiewicz." To which I emphasize: A storyline? In a M&B game?  ???

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 29, 2011, 02:03:58 am »

Having just bought Warband a few weeks ago, I ain't touching it. I like Taleworlds, but it's true, they've repackaged a lot of the same content several times now. To me Warband was worth the full price, as a gesture to Taleworlds for all the effort they've gone through over the years. But by now, they've reached the point where I treat them like every other dev house....and this seems like slightly overpriced DLC.

Ya see, I'd make the same argument... except F&S is only $15, $13.50 with the pre-purchase sale, and while there certainly wouldn't have been enough new content to warrant a full-price release or anything, $15 seems pretty darn fair. (Plus, you get TF2 hats. Which, given the moronic collectors over there, will probably end up selling for considerably more than $15 on the open market in the next three weeks.  ::) )

One other comment: The store page mentions "A storyline based on the cult novel from Nobel-prize winner author Henry Sienkiewicz." To which I emphasize: A storyline? In a M&B game?  ???
Considering the traditional sandbox nature, sounds like a down grade.
Hello Hunam

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 29, 2011, 02:16:58 am »

I think everyone is being a little too skeptical about the upcoming release. Granted I am a sucker for M&B, this looks and sounds genuinely decent. I for one am quite excited about it. From what I've read, I'm pretty sure it's going to offer a lot of fresh content. We'll see.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 29, 2011, 04:19:40 am »

Multiplayer in Mount & Blade has always seemed to be filled with all the people too stupid to understand singleplayer.

Kind of odd how an indie game of this genre manages to get that kind of extremely hostile community.

maydaygreen actually posted once on their forums saying all the flaws of the game in a rather large and well-written piece of constructive criticism (While of course admitting he still liked the game.) and he was met with so much opposition, including what I assume was their main forum administrator.

I'll continue playing singleplayer forever though. In the first two weeks I owned Warband I racked up over 100 hours on it.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 29, 2011, 05:56:18 am »

All I can say to the defence of our forum is our love of debate and argument. Don't take it too personally, there are threads in the on-topic sections that stem for dozens of pages arguing over the most mundane things. I personally don't think this is such a bad thing, as the majority of the members do so holding back on the ad hominems.

If you were refering to this thread specifically: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,127960.0.html

I'd say that thread is pretty much on the tame side on the Taleworlds forum ;D, you should see some of the flame festivals that go down in the legends there.

I guess it's a product of the culture there; they pride themselves on the high standards of debate, argument, and reasoning in their posts, though I don't contest the distinctive lack of subtlety to assuage the bluntness of their words, and in the cases where it isn't openly expressing opposition, there's a fair deal of passive aggressiveness embedded between the words themselves, I do think that most people who type out several paragraphs of words tends to put some effort into formulating a good sound argument.

That being said, I've read the thread Mike started and it didn't seem to me that the points raised by those that posted in the thread are not all that unreasonable. Those that have taken the time to write out a comprehensive post in regards to Mike's first post partially agree with him, most of them seem to be just expressing different ways of interpreting what's wrong. Of course there are cruder posts in there, all I've got to say is that if you ever find yourself on a game forum that's set to release itself with multiplayer capability, then the advent of those people on the forums will be inevitable. I certainly don't enjoy the presence of said people there, and though it may be nostalgia speaking louder than actual experience here, I think the standards and quality of the forum has gone downhill since even before the official warband release came out.

As for the admin, well. As strange as it may seem, a great majority of the forum, or at least the ones that have been there for a while seem to love their tyrannical despotic rule. I guess they try to have some fun with the powers that they have as they're not really paid to do the job. There was one notable admin that, as legends says, banned people for being annoying. The only saving grace was that his sense of what an annoying person is generally what the rest of the forum thought what an annoying person is.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 29, 2011, 06:00:16 am »

I read the original With Fire and Sword or Ogniem i Mieczem (translated of course), and watched the movie/tv show. They were both great (the book has been called "Poland's war and peace"), so I'm really psyched to play the game. Also, it's one of my favourite periods in history, and my favorite area. Winged hussars for the win! (On another note, look at the multiplayer section. There is one where each person commands a unit of his/her own...in a mutiplayer match!)
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 29, 2011, 06:05:07 am »

As for the admin, well. As strange as it may seem, a great majority of the forum, or at least the ones that have been there for a while seem to love their tyrannical despotic rule. I guess they try to have some fun with the powers that they have as they're not really paid to do the job. There was one notable admin that, as legends says, banned people for being annoying. The only saving grace was that his sense of what an annoying person is generally what the rest of the forum thought what an annoying person is.

One, that's not how to foster a community, two, Of course they all love the Tyrannical rule. If they didn't, they'd be banned.
!!&!!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 29, 2011, 06:32:45 am »

One, that's not how to foster a community, two, Of course they all love the Tyrannical rule. If they didn't, they'd be banned.

Heh, should have known that inside joke wouldn't do too well out of that place :o. Suffice it to say that I love the admins even if I didn't have an account on their forum :P. To the point, they don't actually ban people arbitrarily, everyone that has ever been banned by them, to my experience, has contradicted one of the heavier weighted rules of the forum. It's just that the admins tend to declare that these people have been banned for totally inane reasons right after these events. For example, someone admits to pirating or posts a screen shot of their desktop with illegal files, an admin will step in, ban the person, and declare something similar to how satisfactory it is cleansing the human gene pool of heretics and annoying people.
Anything barring racism they'll tolerate from my experience, although the higher ups can curtail what is and is not acceptable. A few months back, everything from Nazi impressionism to poorly drawn genitalia in MS paint seems to pass all the checks. An advantage of this is the fact that discussions and arguments can go on much further than in other forums that deem stuff like that to be far too delicate a subject.
And regarding the proper way to foster a community, it is evident from all the communities of varying tastes that have prospered that there are multiple ways to enable them to take root, if you ask the Taleworlds forum I think most of them would say it's all going dandy.

Has anyone else tried 1866? They just came out with a new version of the mod a few weeks ago.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 29, 2011, 07:14:58 am »

Has anyone else tried 1866? They just came out with a new version of the mod a few weeks ago.
I tried one of the old versions and liked it for the most part, but I really hated the maps that were was used for the battles.
Maybe that's changed, but I'm too busy playing Wakfu and Hellmoo these days.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 29, 2011, 09:14:37 pm »

Yeah, some of the maps for that game were just too big for the number of combatants that can take part in it. If you were refering to the one with the strange smallish volcano like mountain near a small creek, I haven't seen it once in the newer versions.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1030 on: April 30, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »

Seems like its the AI shortcomings that wind up killing most sandbox games for me.

I really love this game, but unless I hear that they've improved the AI at least to the point of competence I won't be buying the new one.

Theres just only so much fun to be had from fighting an enemy that usually charges in recklessly, occasionally stands back in a line and lets you ride over and hack them to pieces without breaking their little formation, and rushes in to hump your leg even if they're wielding polearms. And don't even get me started on sieges... Jump over their first ranks and you can just stand behind them hacking them apart, and the level design (spawn positions, ladder points, general map design) in most of the sieges is just sucky.

Game has had these kind of issues since I bought it six years ago. I've always hoped they would be improved, but it seems like they were largely ignored. How hard could it really be to have the AI hold off a few feet based on the length of the weapon they're using? And it seems like they could have done something slightly better with the AI battle strategy than the whole line up one man thick and slowly advance across the field, keeping formation even if the player rides over and starts hacking up your battle lines one troop at a time from the side.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 01, 2011, 01:56:42 pm »

Actually, i've noticed in warband they tend to not let you do the whole jump over them and hack at the back ranks thing. I tried it after reading your post and four of them turned around and gutted me.

Of course, i'm more suited for sitting on the siege ladder headshotting their archers, but I digress.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 01, 2011, 02:34:54 pm »

Currently enthralled by this game, at least for the time being. There's something to be said for the real time, non-fantasy version of Heroes of Might and Magic feel that I get from it... along with the small amount of customization available regarding your main character, armies, and (eventually) kingdom.

AI is absolutely horrible at worst, and mediocre at best. At least they find what they're supposed to kill (most of the time, though it is annoying to suddenly have to face 3 Champion fighters in an arena match when it comes down to that (even if they were fighting each other beforehand, once you get to that magic number, good luck).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 01, 2011, 02:40:54 pm »

Yeah, started playing again after a taking a few months' break, and I'm loving it, warts and all. It's really strage. Every single aspect of the game is shit, but somehow when it's all put together it works.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 01, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »

I did notice an option: Combat AI and something else were set to Poor. Increasing these increased the "relative difficulty rating" so I'm assuming it may make things more challenging...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 310