Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655569 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #615 on: July 05, 2010, 01:09:41 am »

Thanks for listing the differences between m&b and warband! I have another question, about warband specifically.

Is there any way of stopping your companions from joining fights? My tracker and my doctor keep joining me in battle and they ALWAYS get wounded. As far as I know their skills don't come into effect until they're out of the "wounded" state, so the doctor especially isn't really helping. Now I hope I'm wrong in thinking that, but if not, I'd like to be able to keep them healthy.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 05, 2010, 01:11:55 am »

Put them as far down the list as possible. That will make them not show if the battlefield is full.

And yes at 30% and less health they can't use their skills.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 05, 2010, 01:42:41 am »

Bear in mind, though, that companions can become really powerful, if you let them gain experience. Seriously, these guys level like you, meaning they can theoretically become equally powerful to you(although still controlled by the AI, but still...).

And I believe you can keep ~7 of them at a time, depending on how you juggle their likes/dislikes. Seven people as powerful as you, and demanding a fraction of the wages of a equivalent soldier... it's almost enough to warrant letting your doctor take a few blows, so long as he gets some EXP as well.  ;)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 05, 2010, 01:49:04 am »

Let's not forget some of the changes to combat too.

Attack animations have changed, so expect some frustration if you're used to playing the original M&B.
Throwing weapons can be switched between melee and ranged by pressing "x".
Athletics and running speed in general has been nerfed.
A slight change, but during arena and tournament battles, archers have knives as a side weapon.
You can press "g" to drop weapons/shields. (I think that's been there since the old M&B though.)
You can pick up the arrows/bolts/throwing spears/axes that have been fired by yourself and other troops. I think if you've got godlike reflexes, you can even snatch projectiles out of the air too.
Fallen troops ALWAYS drop their equipped weapons/shields/ammo, but only if they were using them when they were beaten.

That's what I've noticed so far.

Is there any way of stopping your companions from joining fights? My tracker and my doctor keep joining me in battle and they ALWAYS get wounded. As far as I know their skills don't come into effect until they're out of the "wounded" state, so the doctor especially isn't really helping. Now I hope I'm wrong in thinking that, but if not, I'd like to be able to keep them healthy.

If they do show up in battle despite using Janet's method, set them to a different group type and tell them to stay back.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:54:03 am by Blaze »

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 05, 2010, 02:22:38 am »

Thanks for listing the differences between m&b and warband! I have another question, about warband specifically.

You could give them their own group (infantry, archers, etc.) and tell them to hold position somewhere safe. Also put them on the bottom of the list. Major downside is that they won't get all that precious xp that they need to become beastly fighters and doctors.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 05, 2010, 06:35:26 am »

Could give them a fast horse, a bow and plenty of arrows, and use them as horse archers. Those tend to survive longer while racking up some kills too.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 05, 2010, 06:53:09 am »

They'll also draw melee troops out of concert if you're lucky, allowing you to ride them down and kill them, or engage them in honorable foot-combat.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 05, 2010, 09:50:59 am »

Let's not forget some of the changes to combat too.

Attack animations have changed, so expect some frustration if you're used to playing the original M&B.
Throwing weapons can be switched between melee and ranged by pressing "x". Cool, but if you were using throwing weapons only before, you deserve to get killed.
Athletics and running speed in general has been nerfed. Boo. After messing with the save files to max out my stats, I liked being able to outrun warhorses.
A slight change, but during arena and tournament battles, archers have knives as a side weapon. Good. Although in the orinal M&B, usually you either had enough arrows, or you were knocked out anyway.
You can press "g" to drop weapons/shields. (I think that's been there since the old M&B though.) Not in the original, as far as I know(might be able to mod it in).
You can pick up the arrows/bolts/throwing spears/axes that have been fired by yourself and other troops. I think if you've got godlike reflexes, you can even snatch projectiles out of the air too. I just hope the AI can't do that. Archers would suddenly become useless.
Fallen troops ALWAYS drop their equipped weapons/shields/ammo, but only if they were using them when they were beaten. In larger battles, there's usually enough to pick up if you need a new shield, unless you're talking about the after-battle loot.

That's what I've noticed so far.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 05, 2010, 10:26:07 am »

Enemies always drop the equipment they were using at the time of death on the field for you to pick up and use in the midst of battle.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 05, 2010, 10:44:31 am »

Enemies always drop the equipment they were using at the time of death on the field for you to pick up and use in the midst of battle.

It's really useful when defending. You've practically got an inexhaustible source of ammunition when your fellow archers/crossbowmen on the walls fall.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 05, 2010, 10:49:00 am »

That and you can just pick up the arrows the enemies shoot at you and miss with.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 05, 2010, 11:00:43 am »

You know, since TaleWorlds offers a try-before-you-buy style demo, you could always just play the demo and see if you like it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 05, 2010, 02:21:43 pm »

Aw. I hadn't realized Native Expansion had been updated during my months of break from M&B. Time to catch up.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 05, 2010, 02:56:14 pm »

I just wish it was easier to convert these modules to warband. I so miss some of them.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 05, 2010, 04:37:05 pm »

That and you can just pick up the arrows the enemies shoot at you and miss with.

And you can kick people. It seems just spiteful, but it's awesome.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 310