Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655272 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2010, 01:04:34 am »

The version just before this latest one had quick battles.  Then with this latest patch they disabled them.  They have also made couched lances nearly unusable.  You raise them whenever you turn.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2010, 04:59:21 am »

Just got warband, my thoughts: The attacks are much slower which is kin of weird. There can be lots of lag. The graphics have been improved. I think there is a new Egyptian like faction.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2010, 05:17:02 am »

Just got warband, my thoughts: The attacks are much slower which is kin of weird. There can be lots of lag. The graphics have been improved. I think there is a new Egyptian like faction.

They seem more Persian to me, but then maybe they're a mixture.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2010, 05:18:05 am »

Oh yeah i didn't think of Persian.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:13 am »

Anybody have map showing exactly where tull is?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2010, 08:07:17 am »

Just got warband, my thoughts: The attacks are much slower which is kin of weird.
Yeah. Definitely.
It really makes it hard to start off when you are used to 'quick' swings and everyone else is used to the new slow swing... But, play enough and you'll get the hang of them. Hopefully. Through idle playing I've learned to handle sword swings pretty well. I still suck with 2handers though, and I can't hit crap with spears/polearms.
There can be lots of lag.
Make sure you join a server close to you. When I play on a US server I am pretty much lag free, as opposed to a Euro server.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2010, 08:14:45 am »

The version just before this latest one had quick battles.  Then with this latest patch they disabled them.  They have also made couched lances nearly unusable.  You raise them whenever you turn.
Just turning sharply/semi-sharply or every time you turn?

If the later, that's nonsensical.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2010, 08:53:38 am »

Just turning sharply/semi-sharply or every time you turn?

If the later, that's nonsensical.
You can make minor adjustments... but only itsy bitsy turns.
But, in all fairness it makes it slightly more realistic.
A proper charge requires the horse to 'rev up'. Deviations to its path will interfere with the process.

And, despite that, I've come to learn it is very easy to dodge cav charges. Pretty much the only time you want to couch charge anymore (in multi) is if you are coming up behind an enemy or on an enemy occupied with another person- otherwise they can maneuver too easily and kill your horse.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2010, 10:05:32 am »

Yeah, face towards the horse, put up your shield, move right.

If the horse hits you, there's still a good chance it'll do sweet bugger all, and the lance will come nowhere near.
When in large armies in single player, I find it worthwhile to ram into their infantry just before they make contact with yours. Even if the lance is dodged or blocked, you'll knock a lot of the buggers to the floor.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2010, 10:13:13 am »

I'm glad to hear they changed couched lancing. It was pretty strong before.

I bought M&B when it was still a 12$ beta. Best 12$ I spent on a game ever I think. I got really really good with archery. I played The Last Days Mod and as an elven archer I could take out 30 orcs before they reached my hilltop.

It's a shame my favorite mods were never updated to the final version. Onin no Ran, TLD, and the MesoAmerican mods were my favorites due to Ron Losey's realistic combat model. You could down an unarmored horse in two swings, much better then the 5 or 10 swings in native. Are there any current mods that still use the RCM or similiar? I might have to re install M&B if so, I'm getting the hankering to put some arrows in some peasant's eye.

I always played infantry armies with a good number of archers and a very small number of mounted units. Mixed unit tactics rule. I found leading around 50 Swadian Knights kind of boring after the uniqueness of mounted combat wore off.

Also, I love me some glaives.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2010, 10:38:56 am »

Come to think of it, my problems have always been enemy mounted...  especially the Swadians... 
The most annoying to fight.  I should try some mod with lower horse hp...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2010, 11:00:15 am »

It might be dead in terms of development, bit try NE.

The difficulty spike from native is a bit steep though.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:55 am »

In the RCM, weapons did a lot more damage but armor was also better, which means unarmored horses and people died in a reasonable amount of attacks instead of surviving a dozen stabs to the face, while armored horses were at least as tough if not tougher then native depending on your weapon choice. However, it gave Nords with their axes a chance vs the Swadian Knights if you ordered the Nords to stand ground in a tight formation.

For example, the axes did piercing damage (because piercing goes through armor better then cutting and axes are historically good at penetrating things, which is why we use axes to chop wood.) Glaives did cutting damage for a swing and piercing for a stab, the same with swords. Swords did something like 32 damage vs native's 15ish, and armor had increased protection values to compensate. He also put most of the damage from bows onto the arrows instead, so he could simulate the effects of different arrow types, and made bows do cutting damage and crossbows piercing.

Ron is apparently an American professor teaching in China. He has mentioned that he has done extensive weapons testing versus various types of armors as well as significant research in that field (you should read his talk about the US Army studies of wounds in the Korean War). This made him uniquely qualified to write a Realistic Combat Model. However, I don't know if any mods that work with the newest version of M&B carry the RCM. I'll have to ask on the forum if he ever wrote a version of the RCM for the newest Native M&B.

EDIT:

Ah, I looked on the M&B file repository. Here is a version of the RCM for Native that is for M&B version 1.010/1.011

I have no idea what the current M&B version is since I haven't played it in a year or two, so install it with care. I'm fairly certain 1.010/1.011 was the last release before Warband.

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1212
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:16:50 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2010, 11:19:00 am »

Yeah, face towards the horse, put up your shield, move right.

If the horse hits you, there's still a good chance it'll do sweet bugger all, and the lance will come nowhere near.
When in large armies in single player, I find it worthwhile to ram into their infantry just before they make contact with yours. Even if the lance is dodged or blocked, you'll knock a lot of the buggers to the floor.
Yep. Which leads me to a general question: Does anyone else think the horse charge damage is a little low? More often than not I lose no red when a horse straight on rams me while I dodge the lance.

I also think it would be cool if you could couch while on foot... it would make having a spear much more useful against mounted charges. I suck at thrusting with spears; I can't get the distance or timing down, so it would be nice to be able to brace for a charge with a spear and let the silly horseman kill their own horse on your readied spear.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2010, 12:57:30 pm »

Horse damage is to low. If I get a horse to run into my face i'm going to be knocked out or killed, at the very least hurt.

Being able to brace your lance against a horse is in a mod somewhere apparently
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 310