Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655457 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2010, 10:02:38 am »

If I had my computer, I would spar with you, and we could train our way to greatness.

Sadly, I don't, so I can't.

It's true that the frustrating bit about Mount and Blade is how you basically lose everything when you lose a battle.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2010, 11:00:47 am »

If I had my computer, [...]

Any chance that this will change soon?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

I wouldn't mind sparring, but I haven't updated my game to the last version due to the bugs they added to it, so I'm not able to join any servers.

But if you want to train for now, search for servers named "DUEL", they often have a small population and strict rules, which you should read. It's basically a 1v1 server where you walk up to someone who isn't fighting and do a block/parry up to invite them to a duel to death. The beauty is that no armor besides default, horses, or ranged weapons of any kind are allowed, so you can train your melee skills.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »

As far as single player...
I don't know about Warband, but in the original, a horse and a lance won every battle.  Period.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 27, 2010, 12:27:08 am »

Lances are a bit harder to use now.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 27, 2010, 05:27:42 am »

After spending one and a half hour on a dueling server, I'm probably able to get an occasional kill...

My new singleplayer character is going great.
I got vassal after only a month and the fief I got, pays for the greater part of my army.
Latter one is good enough to participate in faction battles and to hunt down weaker enemy nobles.

Still I don't know how to proceed further.
I guess courting a lady would be a good idea, but what else is there to do?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 27, 2010, 01:36:35 pm »

What I normally do, in this order:

-Befriend a kingdom next to the one you want to conquer. Don't join as vassal. Note that the one you want to conquer is the one with the units you like to use. Never raid their villages, since you will want them happy with you.
-Start by taking out small nobles
-Once you hit 50-70 recruits, start taking castles.
-Once you hit about 150 recruits, start taking cities.
-At this point, people will be generally pissed off with you
-Find the true ruler of the kingdom you befriended and join his quest to take over that kingdom.
-Take over your ex-friend kingdom.
-Rince/Repeat

Optional are:

-Marry someone to get the right-to-rule.
-Become a vassal and climb up the ranks. (Remember to only do the king/ruler's quests and be his best pal)
-Choose a kingdom to simply decimate and destroy all their villages. Easy money, but good luck recruiting from them later.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 27, 2010, 02:42:31 pm »

If I had my computer, [...]

Any chance that this will change soon?

In a week or two, maybe.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 27, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »

What I normally do, in this order:

-Befriend a kingdom next to the one you want to conquer. Don't join as vassal. Note that the one you want to conquer is the one with the units you like to use. Never raid their villages, since you will want them happy with you.
-Start by taking out small nobles
-Once you hit 50-70 recruits, start taking castles.
-Once you hit about 150 recruits, start taking cities.
-At this point, people will be generally pissed off with you
-Find the true ruler of the kingdom you befriended and join his quest to take over that kingdom.
-Take over your ex-friend kingdom.
-Rince/Repeat

Optional are:

-Marry someone to get the right-to-rule.
-Become a vassal and climb up the ranks. (Remember to only do the king/ruler's quests and be his best pal)
-Choose a kingdom to simply decimate and destroy all their villages. Easy money, but good luck recruiting from them later.

So what are the differences between becoming a vassal and helping the true ruler?
What happens to the nobles when you take over the country?
I enjoy to being able to help them out in huge battles.

Also what do you mean by "taking out"?
I thought you couldn't kill them.

In a week or two, maybe.

Good, just let me know when you are ready.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:59:33 pm by Mindmaker »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 27, 2010, 03:08:28 pm »

When you join a rebel claimant, it actually forms a sixth faction, and you become a vassal of the claimaint (who will fight for you and has pretty awesome stats). You can try to convince the nobles to join you, but I think the first time you ask, their decision appears to be final, which is unfortunate. A good way to get them to like you enough to join you is to decimate their army over and over again but never take them prisoner.

The civil war is actually very hard for the player, but when you finally take over the nation, all sorts of things happen to nobles. Some of them just join the new faction, some of them leave for other factions. Nobody ever dies, except maybe the King, who mysteriously vanishes when he runs out of stuff.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 27, 2010, 03:27:25 pm »

Just finished installing this game.

I am excite.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2010, 03:31:21 pm »

So what are the differences between becoming a vassal and helping the true ruler?
What happens to the nobles when you take over the country?
I enjoy to being able to help them out in huge battles.

Also what do you mean by "taking out"?
I thought you couldn't kill them.
If you become a vassal, you have to climb up the ranks and have the fiefs the ruler assign to you. If you choose to help someone who claims to be the rightful ruler of a certain kingdom, you turn into a rebel faction of said kingdom and keep all the fiefs -until you take the entire kingdom- then you become a marshal. Be warned tho that you lose vassals and stuff if you do this. It's just another way of taking a nation. I do it for fun in some of my saves. What I don't know is what happens to your fiefs if you renounce the guy you're trying to help. You probably lose them.

If you take a country by force, while not being a vassal or helping rebels, it's yours. If you take over by vassaling up, well, you keep what the ruler gives you.

As for taking out, well, keep them prisoners. Make sure you have a castle with a prison and send them there, it's really hard for them to escape that. If you don't mind losing some honor (be warned that honor affects how much renown you make from stuff. So unless you have a city and a few castles, build up honor.), never accept any offers for them, this means the kingdom you're taking over will have less vassals to bother you. You also can start helping an 'enemy' vassal til he's friendly with you. You can get them to leave their kingdom for another or yours.

When both you and Grakelin can play, we could go to a duel server and have fun. :D

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »

I think I'll stick with the current king for some time and befriend the nobles.
One I have the ressources I still can turn on them.

Also I started over again (for the 30th time or so).
Had build my character wrong, neglected heroes and screwed up some other stuff.
But since you can easily rise in rank, as long as you know what you are doing, this shouldn't be a problem.

When both you and Grakelin can play, we could go to a duel server and have fun. :D

Offer accepted :)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »

For the character builds, I think you mostly have two options in that game. One is to average on STR/AGI and a bit of CHA/INT now and then. The second is to pick a stat and go with it almost all the way, only raising AGI when you need the weapon mastery. The stat you pick will determine how you play:

STR - Heavy fighter/Archer
AGI - Fast fighter, Rider, Jack of all trades (since with a high weapon mastering, your weapons kills raise fast.)
INT - Trainer, tactics, Surgery, and one other skill of your picking. This is great for a commander type character if you raise a bit of CHA along.
CHA - Trader & Leader. If you want huge groups of people fighting for you, this is it. Along with INT to be a better commander, or with AGI to be a thief sort of character.

Personally, I go for STR and let my companions raise INT/CHA for me. Having about 3 to 4 of them is enough to cover all party skills, so you can focus on fighting yourself and have your soldier numbers increase through renown, castles, and cities.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2010, 04:18:09 pm »

hmmm

okay I'm starting the game and am fairly underwhelmed so far.

What do I do to enjoy the gameplay? Because as far as I can tell, so far it's just... steer the horse near a bandit and swing and hope you hit them, rinse, repeat 40 times and then done..
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 310