Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655134 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4545 on: February 05, 2016, 07:19:32 pm »

...I've actually never managed to strike out on my own successfully, but I've lead my liege-lord to total victory twice.
If this says something about me, I kinda don't mind (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: February 05, 2016, 08:12:14 pm »

Yeah the defection mechanic can get pretty silly. Currently in my native game there are hordes of Swadian/Sarranids nobles in both  Nord and the Rhodok lands. Which isn't that surprising since most of the Swadian lands are now Nord\Rhodok and the Khergits are decimating Sarranid lands.

Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: February 14, 2016, 12:21:38 pm »

And on that fateful day I gathered my best allies in the realm and marched forth to capture the last stronghold of the condemned Takeda clan, the city of Kofu. Little did any of us suspect that our dreams of glory and conquest were about to be crushed under a dreadful, towering wooden structure. This, my friends, is the tale of the ultimate shield of the Takeda:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, that's it. That bridge is raised just enough that none of my men can cross it. Trying to make them follow me around the river they will follow just until they hit the margin and then proceed to retreat and crowd around the bridge again.

Of course I can still work around that by just convincing the AI take that fortress alone, but just knowing that I'll have to go and do that to every single fort using that layout, eh...

Yeah the defection mechanic can get pretty silly. Currently in my native game there are hordes of Swadian/Sarranids nobles in both  Nord and the Rhodok lands. Which isn't that surprising since most of the Swadian lands are now Nord\Rhodok and the Khergits are decimating Sarranid lands.
Haha, yes. In gekokujo I barely notice it because everybody is Lord <japanese name> anyway, but it's really weird seeing stuff like Harald fighting for the Sarranids in vanilla
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:26:06 pm by Uristides »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: February 16, 2016, 07:24:51 am »

Yes, that's it. That bridge is raised just enough that none of my men can cross it. Trying to make them follow me around the river they will follow just until they hit the margin and then proceed to retreat and crowd around the bridge again.
"Men, raise the drawbridge just a bit to make it seem like we're open. When they arrive, they'll never be able to get across!"

:P

That's a beautiful depiction there, Uristides. Is it a bug in the mod?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: February 16, 2016, 02:46:39 pm »

My guess is the map maker put the bridge down and didn't notice that it was too high, or changed the heightmap to make the terrain lower after adding the bridge and forgot to fix it.
E: Not that bridges really matter, you can walk through/under water just fine unless that's been modded out. The Ai just doesn't know this.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: February 17, 2016, 03:04:53 am »

"Men, raise the drawbridge just a bit to make it seem like we're open. When they arrive, they'll never be able to get across!"

:P

That's a beautiful depiction there, Uristides. Is it a bug in the mod?
At least they haven't played DF, or they'd know raising bridges can have far more nefarious uses in a siege :P
And yup, it's a bug in that particular map. The whole thing is quite buggy tbh, there's a giant pond inside the castle and some defenders spawn on top of the walls and sometimes outside them.

My guess is the map maker put the bridge down and didn't notice that it was too high, or changed the heightmap to make the terrain lower after adding the bridge and forgot to fix it.
E: Not that bridges really matter, you can walk through/under water just fine unless that's been modded out. The Ai just doesn't know this.
Yes, that seems like it. I tried to fix it by elevating the terrain in the problematic margin but somehow that only made that end of the bridge float higher off the ground. Guess I'll have to install the game on wine to enter editor mode and fix it there, since apparently the linux version doesn't have it.
And like I said, for some reason my men will path through the water just until they cross the river then turn back and crowd themselves on the bridge they can't cross.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: February 17, 2016, 03:41:22 am »

If you can edit the map perhaps just raise all the terrain there to make a land bridge?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: February 17, 2016, 04:16:56 am »

or drop the bridge a little bit. 

might be easier to adjust one dimension for one object rather than to modify the heightmap for ground.

...Warsword update was delayed for a couple more weeks, Devs are fixing some pathing stuff related to Chaos and Kieslev on the world map, and also adding the Vampire Princes with their own graphics.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:18:29 am by puke »

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: February 19, 2016, 08:18:32 pm »

So I downloaded M&B on a wine installation of steam to use the map editor, launched the thing and used cheat mode to get into the city walls. I was not ready for what followed: the bridge was quite neatly in place and everybody could get through just fine, the big pond inside the castle was completely flat ground and nobody spawned on the walls.
I tried to tweak the map a bit by raising the terrain near the bridge and then lowering the bridge's z coordinate to see if it would fix the problem on the linux version, here's a comparison of what I got(Linux on top, Windows on bottom):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yeah, I think I'll just boot up the windows version whenever I meet a bug like this and play the native version the rest of the time

If you can edit the map perhaps just raise all the terrain there to make a land bridge?
That's something I could still do, I think. Wouldn't even need a physical bridge, just put some AI mesh underwater, I think. But now that I have the windows version working fine editing the map and then replacing one by one all the ones that use the same layout suddenly sounds like too much work :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: March 30, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »

Playing Warband, I've got a mission to track down a group of Forest Bandits. I passing lord told me that they were near a village, and I found(and destroyed) a Forest Bandit Camp near that village, but this did not complete the mission. There's also a bunch of bandit parties around the village. Is there any way to tell which party is the target?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: March 30, 2016, 05:26:05 pm »

I think the target bandits should be a different color, like a bluish color if I remember right instead of the normal brown/grey/whatever.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: March 30, 2016, 11:31:21 pm »

A group of bandits with a special name like "Suspicious Bandits" should spawn within eyesight of the town, or at least that's how that mission usually goes for me.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: March 30, 2016, 11:56:16 pm »

I think that's a different mission. There's 2 similar ones, the one which spawns them just outside and the one which picks out a wandering group that recently hit a caravan or villager group.

The latter can sometimes be a fairly hard mission to complete; bandits don't stick around in one place, so you just have to patrol the usual haunts of that and hope they turn up, then chase them down.

I think both have a highlighted/specially coloured title and number of troops on the little map walker, so you can at least pick them out of the crowd.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: March 31, 2016, 02:16:02 am »

Sometimes I turn on the "show all units" cheat to track those down. 

Especially when you get the one where the bandits are on the run and you're supposed to ask after them with traveling groups.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4559 on: March 31, 2016, 06:55:48 am »

The display colour is light blue, and yeah it's a pain to find them. The fact that they can go from one side of the map to the other while you're busy buying bread and cabbages doesn't help.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 310