Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655420 times)

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »

Bleh, I almost bet back an enemy force 3 times my side, I got down to 45 vs 45 and had to rely on the autocalc for the last battle due to my guy making best friends with a sword.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2010, 11:27:33 pm »

Once you have an army of professional, high-upgraded units (sorry, I meant to say 'if it ever happens without you being killed in some stupid way like Jarl Reamald is chasing you, but he is too slow, and then Jarl Bulba comes out of nowhere with a party of 7 which of course goes super fast and catches you, and Jarl Reamald reinforces him'), you can take on armies ten times your size or larger. In Native Expansion, due to the ease of access to Nobles etc., I used to routinely take on entire 1000 Rhodok legions with my platoon of 75 men.

You can still do it in Warband with a fortress. My best so far is 975 Swadians vs. 75 Swadian Rebels in Teyvarin. Swadian Rebels won.

Attacking with high end units has a similar effect. In my most recent game, I took a mercenary band and captured all of the Nord cities for Kingdom of Vaegirs. Nubs didn't bother defending it, though, they just kept running to the far side of the map to feast and leaving the cities unattended, so the Jarls and their bodyguard would pick them up themselves. Such a pain.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2010, 05:51:52 am »

If you can do that you need to turn the difficulty up.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2010, 06:56:00 am »

Once you have an army of professional, high-upgraded units (sorry, I meant to say 'if it ever happens without you being killed in some stupid way like Jarl Reamald is chasing you, but he is too slow, and then Jarl Bulba comes out of nowhere with a party of 7 which of course goes super fast and catches you, and Jarl Reamald reinforces him'), you can take on armies ten times your size or larger. In Native Expansion, due to the ease of access to Nobles etc., I used to routinely take on entire 1000 Rhodok legions with my platoon of 75 men.

You can still do it in Warband with a fortress. My best so far is 975 Swadians vs. 75 Swadian Rebels in Teyvarin. Swadian Rebels won.

Attacking with high end units has a similar effect. In my most recent game, I took a mercenary band and captured all of the Nord cities for Kingdom of Vaegirs. Nubs didn't bother defending it, though, they just kept running to the far side of the map to feast and leaving the cities unattended, so the Jarls and their bodyguard would pick them up themselves. Such a pain.

I can't do that on easy.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2010, 07:36:10 am »

I can't do that on easy.

It takes skill on easy. And you need to plan out your attack.

Fortresses are easiest to pull it off on, as well as mounted vs. unmounted. It is impossible against khergits, and it will piss you off.

One time, with 125 men, i fended off the entire khergit invasion force at my Swadian castle. It had an extremely epic feeling.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2010, 08:10:32 am »

Put the Campaign AI on good so that people don't go off feasting in the middle of emergencies. It works for your side too.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2010, 12:07:33 pm »

It's a great game, but the companions are somewhat infuriating.

Rolf: DADDY! BUNDUK SAYS I'M NOT A LORD! TELL HIM TO STOP! I WILL HOLD MY BREATH UNTIL YOU TELL HIM TO STOP!

Well, the random bickering I can at least tolerate, mainly because I can tell them to shut the fuck up. But some of them have somewhat unrealistic expectations from a group of mercenaries they have joined.

Ymira: How could you rob those poor peasants? What kind of monster are you?
Me: But... this is war. Every commander does it. Look at the lords...
Jaremus: WHAT?! We are fighting a war? You deceived me, you bastard! You told me I would join the Red Cross!
Ymira: We were supposed to spread democracy in this country. Abolish the death penalty.
Me: But... but...
Jaremus: You have really disappointed me this time. I'm holding my breath at least for five minutes.
Me: Please don't do that! Pleeease!
Ymira: I'm just going to sob quietly during next four weeks, then abandon your party in the exact moment you give me a decent equipment.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »

What are you using companions for?

You dont see lords using them, thats probably why they can get shit done.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 15, 2010, 12:55:33 pm »

Companions can come in really handy for party skills. You've just got to get the right combination to keep them happy.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2010, 02:04:19 pm »

Just keep Nizar and that girl that likes Nizar. All you really need, and they don't complain. You can also get the former cook, since all she cares about is your soldiers eating.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2010, 03:26:02 pm »

What are you using companions for?

You dont see lords using them, thats probably why they can get shit done.

You're kidding me, right?

Name me one war where the lords have actually won without any player intervention whatsoever.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2010, 03:51:31 pm »

Yeah, I know. There are people who don't suck out there and I learned enough to know who it is. It's a bit painful in the case of Jaremus, as he is the best doctor in the early and middle game. I just really like to grumble.

The most annoying companions are probably Ymira and Marnid. When you meet them, they are in some kind of trouble. Despite their complete lack of experience and ridiculous equipment, you take them to your party. You clothe them, feed them and - from some strange reason - actually pay them to travel with you and be knocked unconcious in every fight they get into. How do they repay you? They bitch and moan when you try to wage the war as it meant to be waged. Even worse, they annoy the shit out of the people who are actually useful.

Name me one war where the lords have actually won without any player intervention whatsoever.

Actually, every single one except of those where the player intervenes. And except the wars that end in stalemate and no one conquers anything.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 15, 2010, 03:56:56 pm »

except the wars that end in stalemate and no one conquers anything.
That's the only sort I've ever seen the lords get into.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 15, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »

except the wars that end in stalemate and no one conquers anything.
That's the only sort I've ever seen the lords get into.

In most of my parties, Swadia quickly diminishes - as it is gangraped by the Nords, Rhodoks and sometimes Khanate. Also, the Nords often take Ismirala Castle from the Vaegirs.

I have seen AI lords even capturing their enemies major cities.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 15, 2010, 11:55:17 pm »

If you stack your party members with high quality gear (probably not possible until late game) they become very effective hero troops.

I classify the companions and the Lords as 'Hero Troops' because they are beasts in combat. I jumped off my horse to duel Jarl Turegor once and was unpleasantly surprised when he took his huge two handed axe and rapid-fired me with it, smashing my Elite Huscarl Shield in less than 5 seconds. I only survived because Nizar rushed in with the cavalry and mowed him down.

When they're invading, it's even more harrowing. Especially when all 19 of the enemy lords are in the fight. They pour over the walls, absorbing every point of damage you throw at them and slaughtering your men. I mean, I guess it's somehow appropriate that King Harlaus knocks Lady Isolla of Suno off of the wall, but not within five seconds of game start!

That's usually how I lose. Lord Shock Trooping.

The rebel faction leaders are as good or better as most of the Lords, though, so that's a help once they have gear.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 310