Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 654994 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4155 on: April 03, 2015, 11:01:11 am »

They're all technically the same, and I need a better motivation to commit than "well these guys are winning/losing" or "vikings!" "arabs!" "french!" "mongols!"

Which faction are the French supposed to be? Pretty certain Swadia is inspired by Swabia, which is Germany. There are a few characters in the footnotes of history by the suffix "of Harlau," whom are all from east of France. (Germany too, for that matter.)
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: April 03, 2015, 11:05:28 am »

Been playing the Floris mod. Can't say I like it. Combat has been slightly altered in many ways, which doesn't really add to the game but rather just makes you have to relearn all the nuances of range and timing, and I swear the AI gets some sort of hidden bonus in tournaments. I have to nail a horse or person with 3-4 hits/arrows before they fall yet both me and my horse seem to die to one attack often.

If you're talking about the animation submod, you have to admit it looks far better than the wooden 90 degree swing angles from vanilla, at least. :)

Then you have the extended trees. I love the idea but you end up with a bunch of "capture X troops of Y type" missions that were normally very annoying but now unreasonably difficult (all armies are now less likely to have the troop you are looking for and even if they do they are less likely to have as many as they normally would have), leading to constant relation decreases to anyone who asks.

I have to agree, I used the reworked troop trees, because it's basically the same thing with a bit less clutter. And even then I just turn down troop capture quests, or take them and then ignore them.

And to top it off, my companions don't seem to recognize certain items as their type. I ask some of them to autoequip crossbows, and then they discard the crossbow I already had put int heir slot and won't pick it back up, I have to manually put it back. I can't use the "companions select loot" button because of this.

I think you should check out Silverstag. It has the same design philosophy of Floris, and many similar features with some new innovations - and best of all it's still actively developed, since it's a Floris developer who decided to start from scratch, with all his own code, so that he can integrate/innovate things better.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: April 03, 2015, 11:05:55 am »

Wasn't quite sure who Swadia was supposed to be inspired by. I assumed french.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: April 03, 2015, 11:06:48 am »

They're all technically the same, and I need a better motivation to commit than "well these guys are winning/losing" or "vikings!" "arabs!" "french!" "mongols!"

Which faction are the French supposed to be? Pretty certain Swadia is inspired by Swabia, which is Germany. There are a few characters in the footnotes of history by the suffix "of Harlau," whom are all from east of France. (Germany too, for that matter.)
Swadia is general area of Charlemagne's empire sans Italy (which is Rhodoks, but they broke off of Swadia anyhow, so it only reinforces that), I believe.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: April 03, 2015, 11:16:29 am »

Swadia is the generic Norman Feudalism faction based heavily off medieval France but taking some influence from England and German states as well. The clear indication of this is the Swadia focus on devastating heavily armoured mounted knights which was a staple of the French armies. The Swadia lords' names are also mostly bastardised French with a couple of Germanic sounding names thrown in for good measure.

Rhodoks are a mix between the Italian mercenary states and the lowlands like Flanders.

Nords are obviously Nordic with a faint bit of gaelic/celtic thrown in.

Sarranids are generic north african/leviant.

Khergits are obviously mongol/turkic.

Vaegirs are based off pre-Russia slavic principalities.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: April 03, 2015, 11:31:48 am »

Swadia is the generic Norman Feudalism faction based heavily off medieval France but taking some influence from England and German states as well. The clear indication of this is the Swadia focus on devastating heavily armoured mounted knights which was a staple of the French armies. The Swadia lords' names are also mostly bastardised French with a couple of Germanic sounding names thrown in for good measure.

Except the French didn't have any sort of monopoly on knights. You're assuming the english perspective, as the english were lacking in knights compared to mainland Europe, not just compared to the French. And the faction name itself is obviously German, as well as the name of the King.

Swadia is general area of Charlemagne's empire sans Italy, I believe.

That sounds more reasonable. But Charle...? Oh, did you mean Karl the Great, the king of the germanic Franks, and first Holy Roman Emperor? The one historians suggest was born in Aachen or Herstal? :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: April 03, 2015, 11:53:57 am »

That sounds more reasonable. But Charle...? Oh, did you mean Karl the Great, the king of the germanic Franks, and first Holy Roman Emperor? The one historians suggest was born in Aachen or Herstal? :P

That's the generic term used in most commonly available sources in English; that's the name people use in a casual reference. He was as French or German as a Mercian Saxon peasant in the IX century was English - in other words, not much from their own point of view. Nationalism proper is quite a recent invention.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: April 03, 2015, 01:22:35 pm »

That's the generic term used in most commonly available sources in English; that's the name people use in a casual reference. He was as French or German as a Mercian Saxon peasant in the IX century was English - in other words, not much from their own point of view. Nationalism proper is quite a recent invention.

I understand where you are coming from, of course.

But actually, I would suggest it is your concept of a "German" as being merely a citizen of a certain nation in Europe that is quite the recent invention. For instance, in 1150 they would not know of the nation "Germany" for many hundreds of years, but people called themselves Germans - although, as you probably realize, they did not use the english term for it, nor the french, which both confusingly derive from specific Germanic tribes.

You see, it is an ethnicity as well, something largely defined by language, culture and DNA. One thing I might add is that nationality as a defining point for being German has historically been far less considered than for many other nations, compared to ethnicity. Germany, as the nation, unified late, and slowly. In fact, at least as recent as the embarrassment of WW2, there were still people outside of the nation Germany that were considered Germans and called themselves as such.

If you had asked Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart if he was a citizen of Austria, and if he was a German, he would have answered yes to both questions, and probably sealed the deal by following up with a poop joke. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

So, yes, nationality is a recent invention. "Charlemagne" was certainly not a Frenchman. Did he lay the foundation for France to exist? Sure, and in that sense he is a part of founding french history. But the sense in which I say the Franks were Germanic and Karl the Great was a German is in a much older and real sense than abstract modern concepts of nationality.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:03:00 pm by Dwarf_Fever »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: April 03, 2015, 06:56:39 pm »

One thing I really liked from Floris is the notification when an enemy came into your sight. I would love to have this in PoP. Is it possible? Can I somehow put notifications into another mod? Because I NEED the notifications. Half of the frustration of that game would go away with notifications.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: April 03, 2015, 07:42:53 pm »

No, no way to do that, which is extremely unfortunate in Pendor's case in particular.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: April 03, 2015, 07:53:46 pm »

So is there no joining factions as a mercenary band in Floris, like there is in vanilla? Seems like my options are Freelance in a lord's army (kinda wish I knew about that to start with, I would have rolled like that for a while), or take over someone's kingdom? I'm not entirely clear how you enter a faction at this point. All the guides focus on buying up land, or talk about fiefs on the assumption you're already part of a faction. I recall it being pretty straight forward in vanilla to at least fight as a mercenary for them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: April 03, 2015, 07:55:09 pm »

Mercenary should still be in... you could also swear fealty to the lord, of course, if you have enough renown.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: April 03, 2015, 09:18:38 pm »

I think you need to wait for them to be at war (So, you know, three days) and then they'll give you a "quest" to join the faction as a mercenary band. If you don't need to be at war, then it's a lot more likely if they are at war.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: April 04, 2015, 12:19:41 am »

No, no way to do that, which is extremely unfortunate in Pendor's case in particular.

Whats stopping anyone from copy and pasting the code?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: April 04, 2015, 12:34:11 am »

It has to be compiled. Modules in general are compiled, AFAIK. It's all a bit weird.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 310