Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656209 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4050 on: March 26, 2015, 04:06:15 pm »

Thanks for the advice, that's what I was afraid of.
I'm not especially interested in a new faction with this character, so I'll continue to serve loyally and hope for a town (The Khergits are defeated, and we just defeated the fierce Nords).  Going forward I'll decline any more non-town holdings, since I think having a lot of holdings makes it harder to receive more.  My husband only holds one village, actually, so maybe I can play politics and get him awarded a town...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: March 26, 2015, 08:36:41 pm »

Finally picked up that Gekokujou mod. Man, lack of shields really does wonders in spicing up melee combat. The sieges are also way more fun to play IMO, except the city/castle hall attack phase, I really dislike whatever mod implements those.

Also, what attack direction thing you guys use? I'm used to mouse because I find it works better on horse, but now that I'm mostly on foot I'm thinking kekyboard might be better, thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:40:05 pm by Uristides »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: March 26, 2015, 08:46:35 pm »

Pretty sure the city/castle hall attack is native.

I use inverse mouse for attack direction and mouse direction for blocking.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:09 pm »

Yeah, the keep-assault subphase is in vanilla (or diplomacy maybe, but pretty sure vanilla).  It is kinda silly since my character is archery-focused, but fortunately she keeps a zweihander around.  Because 60 kills just *isn't enough*.

Hell, I play with half-damage-to-allies and my allies still die way faster than enemies.  Dunno why, don't particularly care now that I have top-tier armor and weapons.  And save-scum.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: March 26, 2015, 11:02:39 pm »

I use the mouse for attack direction but I think my blocking is automatic. I click the right mouse button just before the enemy swing lands and it is blocked regardless of my mouse movement.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:48 am »

If they make a new mount and blade, what features would you guys like to see?

I would like to see the ability to design a village/fortress in an open world map with a working economy that determines if your village/fortress can grow into a town.

Yes I have unrealistic expectations for a lot of things.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: March 27, 2015, 01:16:30 am »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:57 am »

If they make a new mount and blade, what features would you guys like to see?

I would like to see the ability to design a village/fortress in an open world map with a working economy that determines if your village/fortress can grow into a town.

Yes I have unrealistic expectations for a lot of things.

I would like for better control over larger forces, being able to organise troops into squads, possibly also automatically hire new soldiers of that type when some die, better unit cohesion during a fight where all the units don't act as individuals and more battle map variation with subtler land gradation.
Ideally I would like for the battle map to be more like a first person Total War battle. Not necessarily to that number of troops but certainly the control scheme; an auto map with unit blocks to more around, being able to delay orders until specific moments or time has passed etc.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: March 27, 2015, 01:41:23 am »

16th Century mod has shown me that all it takes to make me spend all my money on prostitutes is the promise of potential charisma growth :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: March 29, 2015, 02:46:06 am »

Can anybody give me some pointers? I feel like I'm missing a lot in terms of battles, as I'm not really clear on any viable tactics other than charging directly at the enemy. I'm also not 100% clear on what I should be doing and when. Tournaments are obvious whenever you can participate, but I'm not sure when (if at all) it's a good idea to swear fealty to a faction. What skills should I focus on getting? Which companions are most useful? This is all assuming I have the intention of eventually carving out my own kingdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: March 29, 2015, 03:23:59 am »

1. You can hold F1 to point to where you want your soldiers to hold. It's a good idea to have your infantry hold in front and have your archers behind them, preferably in a place where the archers are on higher ground.

2. It's a good idea to swear fealty as soon as possible. You get allies and likely a fife, which you get a good amount of money from.

3. Leadership and any other leader skills, such as prisoner management. Avoid party skills, as you can use companions for those.

Jeremus is the best companion. In my opinion, Artimenner is a close second. Unfortunately, they hate each other's guts. Of course, Artimenner is only useful for laying siege to all of Calradia and laughing as entire nations fall to your might before they even get a chance to respond due to how damn quickly you build ladders, while Jeremus is useful for every fight you will ever have, as he prevents your soldiers from dying with his surgery skill and keeps them ship-shape for the next fight after. Plus, he's basically the Calradia equivalent of Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus "Paracelsus" von Hohenheim, and you can't hate a name like that.

So, I would recommend Alayan, Baheshtur, Firentis, Jeremus, Ymira, Bunduk, Deshavi, Klethi for companions. My current save has Deshavi, Artimenner, Ymira, Marnid, Firentis. Any other companions will conflict with these.

See the chart.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: March 29, 2015, 03:46:42 am »

How about for a Khergit-style build? I have a soft spot for the Mongols, so I like the idea of having deathstacks of horse archers, but they're pretty squishy from what I've seen. Are they crap, or do they need just need something to be good?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: March 29, 2015, 03:51:01 am »

Unconscious companions do not use party skills if i remember.

So avoid to have the companions that have very important party skill (Jeremus by example) to take part to combat, either have them being in the archer category, or create a custom category just for those and F1-keep them away from trouble (though give them ranged weapons so they can at least be of some use on the battlefield).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: March 29, 2015, 04:01:00 am »

Khergits are awful, primarily because the AI have no idea how to actually do horse archery.

Which I find very sad, lemme tell you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: March 29, 2015, 04:10:28 am »

If Khergits could skirmish I'd never not by Khergits. They are already enough of a pain in the ass to fight. Horses are a huge advantage in this game. If they could organize a death wheel of horse archers I'd always use them and never want to fight them without an army of horsemen myself.

Also, when it comes to selecting companions, I like to make sure I have Jeremus and some other companion that starts with things like spotting and pathfinding. Just pump these guys full of skills in medicine and skills that let you hunt down other parties, and keep them happy at all times. All other companions are there to be permanent heavy cavalry.

Also, a tip for battle. You can access you inventory through the chest on the map. I like to keep the longest lance I can find and a few extra packs of arrows in there.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 310