Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655657 times)

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3630 on: September 26, 2014, 12:12:22 am »

Basically the game needs a Crusader Kings II style strategic campaign layered over the current battle mechanics

Maybe the one game can be layered on to the other?

I thought that's what they were going to do for a dynamic multiplayer. It was so obvious of a choice...

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: September 26, 2014, 01:08:38 am »

There's a mod that's kinda like that called strategus for Crpg. It amd it's player is not to everyone's taste but it's worth a try to see if you like it.

Also are the taleworlds forum down fpr anyone else? I can't access it at my home, but I can assess it at other areas and there doesn't seem to be any mention about a mass down time.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: September 26, 2014, 01:10:19 am »

I found Mount and Blade (Warband) overpriced and far too simple. And way too overhyped.

And that is with 635 hours on steam. Plus another 300-400 with Mount and Blade. So, did I get enjoyment? Yeah, especially with mods. Which actually, I bought Warband thinking mods would be epic...but I loved the Mount and Blade ones a lot more.

Though for warband, 15-20 hours was leaving it run to get imaginary cards and prizes

You ask, why did I play so long if I'm hating on it? Well, for one...I actually never saw the endgame grind. I always made new characters over and over...for 635 hours that is all I did. Only one character made it to 50 to see what it was about, and it was far too powerful and unrealistic at that point. So most characters I never leveled past 20-25 (their age).

Now on to the problems I have with mount and blade.

OOOO, I see I can build! But its so damn useless...only very few buildings to build and they don't really do much. Well, not very lordlike...

And I can go into entire paragraphs of how much strategy in the campaign map sucks as bad as the battle map.

What is this? Why do the AI keep following the same exact path in tournaments and arenas? Wait...I've done dozens and dozens...they follow same path...same attack...same movement...ahhh so scripted!

I go into a battle...wait...what is this...AI follow pretty much the same path...horse archers follow same path...done hundreds of battles...SCRIPTED. Though far less noticeable than the arena (I cringed so hard before stopping them, took me a long time to notice...600 hours...but its actually REALLY obvious)...but I started noticing how scripted battles were. AI pretty much did same thing, each and every time...in vanilla...in every mod.

The entire game is one big script fest. AI is so freakin stupid, and the most scripted AI I've ever seen in a game that I've personally played. Not to talk about the horror inducing, even satan would run screaming, citizens in villages and towns that...I just won't go there...

So it took nearly 600 hours to notice (okay I'm REALLY bad at noticing things, and I am VERY slow at learning and processing things...some things that is...)...and pretty much after noticing that mount and blade is the worst scripted most stupid AI I have personally seen, on top of all the horrible strategy and incredibly basic battles...I pretty much shelved it and won't touch it again.

Do me a favor if you don't believe me. Do tournaments, each one AI follows same path...each and every time...and those horse archers follow the same path each and every time. Toward the end of the battle if you have won and left horse archers, they go around and around the map as others chase them...but it is the same path throughout the map...like a merry go round.

The AI is what kills it, and how incredibly badly scripted and how obvious it is. Of course saying that, it took me 600 hours to notice...but it should have been WAY more noticeable...but like I said, I have a huge learning disability and really slow and noticing obvious things.

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: September 26, 2014, 01:12:56 am »

Of course, multiplayer is better for battles. But, I liked the campaign map and conquering things...felt really epic. I hate call of duty or league of legend battles where it ends after a certain amount of time and do it again...over and over. That is why I only do MMOs for social interaction, a lot more persistent and meaningful. I don't tend to like to repeat things over and over and see no (or little) changes. I don't tend to like any resets of any kind in a multiplayer game. With exception of rts/strategy games (like age of empires and what not, its more in regards to fps and rpgs). So, the game map was great for that...helping factions expand and what not.

Maybe the next mount and blade should be 100% multiplayer. Do away with that horrid AI and wasted money development and make multiplayer a lot better.

As for mods I played, my favorite was 1257ad...and I loved brytenwalda just as much. Had a few others, but mostly played those two. Tried floris, and that was tons of fun...I played that quite a bit too, with the biggest pack they had.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:20:11 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3634 on: September 26, 2014, 03:03:51 am »

Brytenwalda is pretty awesome. By far my favourite mod(pack?).
And I read somewhere (definitely don't quote me on this) that Taleworlds actually got one of the Brytenwalda guys to join their dev team. No idea if that's actually the case, though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: September 26, 2014, 03:36:49 am »

It was one of the Peloponnesian War guys back during around the .808 era of the first M&B I think. The strategic map AI used to be a lot worse.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3636 on: September 26, 2014, 04:17:56 am »

Yeah, that might be where I heard it. Don't know how I got Brytenwalda in there.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: September 26, 2014, 04:20:29 am »

Vendayn - seeing as discounts on Steam and Humble store for M&B are fairly frequent - as in, every large sale there's a decent chance of getting a -75% - and you clocked 41 days' worth of continuous playing, I wouldn't say it's overpriced.

The AI is, admittably, quite dumb. But that's an artifact of it being written in like 2001/2002 originally and tweaked a bit - Warband is actually just an updated rerelease, rather than a proper sequel, and with the arrival of Bannerlord the AI almost certainly will see a complete rewrite.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: September 26, 2014, 07:05:58 am »

and with the arrival of Bannerlord we all will almost certainly cum ourselves to death.

FTFY
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: September 26, 2014, 10:13:04 am »

It was one of the Peloponnesian War guys back during around the .808 era of the first M&B I think. The strategic map AI used to be a lot worse.

I remember that mod, it was pretty cool.

I made a song for the Mesoamerican mod at about the same version.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: September 26, 2014, 03:13:36 pm »

Whoa, guys. I don't know what the hell I was doing when I made that post...but I literally don't remember making it at all. I must have been seriously drunk and high last night (huge party in the afternoon...)...no one else but me could have made that. So I must have been really messed up and angry for some reason.

Cause, I actually have a ton of fun with mount and blade. The AI kinda sucks, but its an old game...but it is a lot of fun, especially with mods. I don't think its overrated at all. I got tons and tons of hours out of it. More than any game on my Steam list, and way more if taking Mount and Blade (original) into account. More than my years of WoW and Asheron's call combined...which is quite an accomplishment rofl.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: September 27, 2014, 03:38:56 pm »

There's a mod that's kinda like that called strategus for Crpg. It amd it's player is not to everyone's taste but it's worth a try to see if you like it.
Man fuck cRPG.  I get the draw of 'build your own character' but it literally starts you with fucking -nothing-.  You're literally some peasant with zero training, probably not even the training mandated by kings on their populace to keep them ready for levying, like how Englishmen had to practice with bows or whatever.  Not even a conscript soldier, literally just a shirt, a pitchfork and some rocks.

And then you go and fight against assholes in like plate armor and shit.  Just... Christ, it's like if Modern Warfare made you start with nerf dart guns and a plastic fork instead of a knife.

And even when I made the quickie-character, where you're automatically level 30 (but unable to level up anymore), your gear fucking breaks and the game makes you pay money to fix it so my sole weapon that cost like 2k to repair and was about as sturdy as something out of Dark Cloud broke, and without any cash I seriously had to just dash out and hope I found some crap on the ground before an enemy found me.

And all it was was TDM except with that shit going on, so it's not like I was engaging in high adventure with my own custom character or anything.  Masochism and frustration/10.

ANYWAY

Bannerlord video on their map editor.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obO5sbziqjM

Looks pretty sick, and they made a map that purportedly some 200 km square large.  It looked like an actual walk-around  map, not a world map or anything, though I can't confirm that.  I'm hoping that'll net us something like a larger-scale Persistent World, or something.  And/or just a PW mod that isn't quite as confusing and horribly rife with banditos robbing me in and around town.  Or something.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: September 27, 2014, 03:55:03 pm »

That's a huge graphical upgrade. Bannerlord went from M&B's "generations behind" visuals to actually looking really amazing.
I just hope it we get that in the real game. Considering the developer, we probably will, but there's always a chance we won't.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: September 27, 2014, 04:44:25 pm »

That's a huge graphical upgrade. Bannerlord went from M&B's "generations behind" visuals to actually looking really amazing.
I just hope it we get that in the real game. Considering the developer, we probably will, but there's always a chance we won't.

Seeing as they pretty much dump all their devkit on modders, it likely will. And it's not like M&B is an AAA title that absolutely MUST sell itself on its graphics, anyway.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: September 28, 2014, 01:26:54 am »

Regarding cRPG, I played that mod for about a year or so and had a great time, partly because I came across a group of fun people to play with. The early game is really rough, and the only people that the 'upkeep' system really punishes are the people who don't have money/haven't played for long. My main character kept getting craptons of money in my normal fighting gear (I was a medium-lightish armored agility spear user so my equipment was fairly cheap) with nothing to really spend it on. After 'retiring' a few times I actually went and tried things like 2-handed swords and clubs, and even with the most expensive stuff I could get I was raking in the cash. The idea behind cRPG is nice, but the implementation is not the best.

Still, it's (was, at least) one of the most popular multiplayer mods, and I wouldn't be surprised if Taleworlds implements some of those ideas into their own multiplayer, and even then they'd probably have their standard modes for poeple who can't be bothered with persistent stuff. Strategus for example was a fun little thing but you basically had to be in a clan in order to do anything, and time zones were an issue.

Anyways, I wasn't expecting a blog post so soon after their previous one (not that I mind at all) so let's take a look...

I am really digging that map editor. I've only made a map for one game before, built this editor is reminding me a lot of Wolfire's Overgrowth editor, which I'm a fan of. Painting decal textures directly on objects looks like a great way to break up some of the more samey looking areas and give them a more unique feel. (And then as soon as I type this the narrator says it, whatever).
I really wish that they would add more tools for water though, just having a static 'water level' is nice, but being able to have water on different levels, having water flow down the side of a mountain or make a waterfall etc. would be amazing. Having ditches that collect water after rain; they showed a decal which could work if they made it so that walking on it produces the right effects...

The horse maneuvering looks very similar to M&B, which I hope is just a placeholder. I remember one of the very first "M&B2" videos to be put out featured a horse walking from side to side (strafing) which would make mounted combat a more dynamic. What I would really love to see, however, is the horse as a separate AI. You should be able to control or direct what you want the mount to do but it should react to things like being told to charge headfirst into a wall, perhaps even having more riding skill would make the mount obey your commands more closely.

Of course this isn't the horse or combat video, but something tells me it's not going to change too much form what we've seen (but I imagine the animation is very placeholder at the moment)

On a side note, I'm really hoping that they make many objects (clothing and such) color-neutral, and then make it so that you can add your own color to them. So, instead of having a red shirt, a blue shirt, a brown shirt, and a white shirt, you would instead have a single shirt object/item, just with its own 'coloration', perhaps similar to how heraldic items work in the previous games. I'm quite obsessed with this kind of thing, I know...

Regarding the graphics itself, one of the draws for M&B was how low the system requirements are for it. You can run the game in DirectX 7. Yeah...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:29:54 am by OzyTheSage »
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 310