Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655356 times)

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #360 on: April 01, 2010, 04:26:22 pm »

I had 15 pound spare so I bought Mount & Blade. Although I wasn't sure about it since in the demo I had some weird Directx 9 error, where everything was green, I'm really pleased about the purchase. So far I've only got 5 companions, but I completely aced one of the tournaments. It was awesome.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 01, 2010, 05:31:48 pm »

Woose, Someguyo, and one of Woose's friends, I've forgotten who.
That was me.
But, DF2010 launched, so yeah.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 01, 2010, 07:51:36 pm »

I had 15 pound spare so I bought Mount & Blade. Although I wasn't sure about it since in the demo I had some weird Directx 9 error, where everything was green, I'm really pleased about the purchase. So far I've only got 5 companions, but I completely aced one of the tournaments. It was awesome.

Yeah, they're fairly fun. It does feel kinda weird at times, I'm siding with Lady Isolla and we were in the same tournament. It feels kinda weird to lance your faction leader off her saddle.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 01, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »

I find that decimating King Ragnar in a tournament right before becoming his vassal has a certain quality to it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2010, 10:05:26 pm »

Warband is out. I was in the demo, it's the multiplayer version of MB if you didn't hear.

Anyways, it's fun now, but when they update the internet infrastructure to that fiber optic stuff they came out with that allows speeds of gigabytes per second it will be truly epic, since I bet you could have actual armies rather then 32 players on a team (which is still admitadly alot)

Also, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of tactics at the moment. It would be cool to see if a bunch of players in a formation would work well compared to everyone running around by themselves like everyone did in beta.

Blocking is pretty easy with a shield, but it's tough to parry since the servers are mostly set to manual blocking. However, they added a new parrying feature. If you queue an attack and the enemy swings at the same time you do, if the weapons hit each other it count's as a parry which I though was very cool. I was starting to get the hang of this after a short while, but I still wasn't very good.

Also, some two handed hammers do damage through shields now.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 02, 2010, 07:04:35 am »

I'd love to get Warband, but I lack the money for it.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 02, 2010, 07:20:26 am »

German amazon gets warband at the 16th. :/

So i just bought the cheaper, "collectors edition"... Still, i will only get it next friday.

Oh, well, new Dfrelease is there to kill the time, anyway.

(We should create an Bay 12 "clan".. Characters must have magnificient beards and are encouraged to fight on foot with big axes.)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2010, 06:49:13 pm »

I bought it a couple of days ago. I got the original for 5$ on a steam weekend sale a long time ago, and it's the only time I've felt I've paid too little for a game, so buying warband at full retail prize helps my conscience some. It's quite worth it though. The game itself is improved over the original, but what made m&b great was all the mods and everything point towards even better mods for warband.

And for those who are asking: yes, Warband is standalone.

Also, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of tactics at the moment. It would be cool to see if a bunch of players in a formation would work well compared to everyone running around by themselves like everyone did in beta.

The Taleworlds forum is a bit under the weather due to post-release strain so I can't post links, but there are a couple of multiplayer mods I think you'll like:

One is the Invasion Mod, otherwise known as "The Battle for Calradia". It pits players on one team against endless waves of.. interesting bots on the other. Sort of like a medieval zombie acopalypse, except without the zombies (although the bots are about as intelligent). Experience shows that the only way to survive any length of time is to form a proper shield/spearwall with archer auxiliaries and maybe a light cav or two to get the stragglers.

The other is the "Mount and Musket - Battalion" mod. It models a number of reasonably historically accurate nations from the time around 1800. It's perfect for line battles napoleon style. Great fun if organized properly.

A third mod is called "Hunt", which is 18th century hunters vs werevolves. Both sides need some internal cooperation and planning to succeed.

Note that I don't think any of these have been ported to the latest release version yet, but they're actively working it (the various modders all paused a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the release since patches were a bit too frequent for a while).

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 03, 2010, 01:31:38 pm »

Are there any mods for Mount & Blade (Not warband) that merely add features rather than overhaul the gameplay? Such as more things to do etc.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2010, 02:19:34 pm »

Native Expansion might be what you're looking for. It's what I'm using, and it switches up all the upgrade trees, adds more quests, lets you form your own nation, etc. etc.

EDIT: It also lets you brace your spear to pwnzorate cavalry when you're on foot. This makes fight the Rhodoks hard, because they have so many spear troops. I've been fighting with them for at least 4 or 5 game months now (pushed them back to just Jelkala, Jeriche Castle, and Veluca), and find that skirting around them and plowing through their archers is useful. It only takes one spearman to drop you, though. I actually spend a lot of time on my feet, meleeing dudes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:21:42 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2010, 02:48:21 pm »

EDIT: It also lets you brace your spear to pwnzorate cavalry when you're on foot.
Nice. It annoyed me that spears, intended to be an effective counter-cavalry measure, were pretty useless on foot.
Still doesn't help against horse archers though...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2010, 02:59:22 pm »

For that you need horse-seeking missiles.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 03, 2010, 03:18:57 pm »

Is it possible to brace a lance or something? Or Couch it? I got "couch damage" earlier...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 03, 2010, 03:50:10 pm »

Yeah, just get enough speed on a horse, and do not click the mouse. Just run the lance into people. I recommended Praven's tournament to practice it.

Bracing, not in native. In Native Expansion, however, yes you can. The mod's still available, and good, but no-one is working on it anymore.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2010, 04:14:51 pm »

Note that in Warband, you have to press X to initiate couching (by default that is, you can change the setting back to the old m&b one in the control options). X changes the attack mode of some other weapons too, for instance to use a javelin or throwing axe as a melee weapon. In musket mods the alternate mode lets you attack with bayonet or stock.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 310