Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655932 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3435 on: June 30, 2014, 12:21:59 am »

Just got this game, its eating my life :P

Anyway, I'm playing with the goal of creating my own Kingdom.  I joined up with the Nords and was granted a very shitty village in a very bad place.  I then captured a Swadian Castle with very bad defenses.  After a lot of experimenting, savescumming, losing the castle and then regaining it, and general messing around, I managed to capture a well defended castle on my own.  My strategy was to bring in a force of crossbowmen with a spearhead of huscarls and heroes.  This force included 24 Rhodock Sharpshooters.  I told everyone to hold fire, moved to the base of the ladder, and told them to shoot and stand ground.  We killed about half the enemy force and then ran out of ammo, upon which I retreated (automatically losing some men).  I repeated the process, which left about 25 enemies left, whom I then swarmed (with the Huscarls in their own command group told to charge first).

So here's my problem: I've gained 2 castles and 1 village. In the meantime my Kingdom has gained about 2 towns, 4 castles, and 18 villages NOT owned by me.  The Nords are pretty much two of any other Kingdom now.  The good news is my character is a woman, so I can apparently marry a lord and he'll rebel with me, but even with that it looks plausible that the Nords will conquer everything before I can gain even a third of the realm.

So what should I expect to happen if I rebel?  My friend with the game says other lords might rebel with me.  How much opinion would make that likely?  How much right to rule should I have?  And will the Nords conquer everything if I intentionally stop helping them?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: June 30, 2014, 12:29:02 am »

Anyway, I'm playing with the goal of creating my own Kingdom.  I joined up with the Nords and was granted a very shitty village in a very bad place.  I then captured a Swadian Castle with very bad defenses.  After a lot of experimenting, savescumming, losing the castle and then regaining it, and general messing around, I managed to capture a well defended castle on my own.  My strategy was to bring in a force of crossbowmen with a spearhead of huscarls and heroes.  This force included 24 Rhodock Sharpshooters.  I told everyone to hold fire, moved to the base of the ladder, and told them to shoot and stand ground.  We killed about half the enemy force and then ran out of ammo, upon which I retreated (automatically losing some men).  I repeated the process, which left about 25 enemies left, whom I then swarmed (with the Huscarls in their own command group told to charge first).

So here's my problem: I've gained 2 castles and 1 village. In the meantime my Kingdom has gained about 2 towns, 4 castles, and 18 villages NOT owned by me.  The Nords are pretty much two of any other Kingdom now.  The good news is my character is a woman, so I can apparently marry a lord and he'll rebel with me, but even with that it looks plausible that the Nords will conquer everything before I can gain even a third of the realm.

So what should I expect to happen if I rebel?  My friend with the game says other lords might rebel with me.  How much opinion would make that likely?  How much right to rule should I have?  And will the Nords conquer everything if I intentionally stop helping them?

From what you said, it seems like you have nothing against savescumming. Testing the waters like that can never hurt.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:22 am »

I joined up with the Nords and was granted a very shitty village in a very bad place.
Fun fact: The AI is programmed to give you the worst village they have when you sign up as a vassal.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: June 30, 2014, 12:35:51 am »

Odd though, playing a female usually means you don't get a fief on joining. Unless you're playing a mod that lets you disable that.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: June 30, 2014, 12:43:25 am »

Right, going out on your own.  You'll likely need about 40ish RtR to be officially recognized as a monarch. How many kingdoms are left? If the Nords are that strong, you might actually be able to pull it off with barely any since they have their own problems to deal with. If the Nords are gaining that much land, then they MIGHT be ripe with internal instability, willing to defect to someone more competent (Yourself if you are skilled enough). You can check this with companions with connections to the Nords, and you can see their current political state. If you don't mind a rather cheaty way to completely ruin the Nords, you can repeatedly take a castle then let it be taken. Because lords get angry at their liege when someone else receives a fief, eventually everyone will be ready to defect once you form your new kingdom. I would highly recommend the Diplomacy mod at least for more diplomatic options, while still keeping the vanilla feel.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: June 30, 2014, 12:55:24 am »

I actually want to install Silverstag (the feature list is amazing) but I'm also not looking forward to grinding dat charisma again till I have 100+ party size limit again.  So no mods unless they somehow keep save compatability.

I've got 36 RtR so that's going well.  All other factions still exist, we've been alternating between beating up the Vaegars and the Swadians.

Does anyone know a way to make lords follow me during war?  I want to take a town for myself but it seems highly implausible given they have garrisons of 300.  Whenever I ask someone to accompany me they say it would be more appropriate for me to follow them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: June 30, 2014, 12:59:23 am »

Seeing that you are focusing on Char, you should be fine if you raise your relations with them. Also, to counteract that just tell them that a settlement ie. Halmarr Castle is easily taken. Then just follow/accompany them to the siege.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: June 30, 2014, 01:03:17 am »

If you really want to, you could always just export your character and import it into a mod.  Go to your character screen and there's a button at the bottom left that says "Character Statistics."  Click that, hit export, then name your character exactly the same in the mod you want to play in.

You keep your stats/gold, but everything else is reset.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:35 am »

You could also just activate cheats. I've played so much Mount and Blade that I'm way beyond searching the whole world in a vain attempt to find that one lord I need to hand in a quest. In fact I would greatly love a mod that allows you to see ally or even neutral parties but not hostile ones, if just to get rid of some of the tedium of a new start.

I'm also not ashamed to admit I often add a few levels to skip the looter grind of a new game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: June 30, 2014, 02:31:46 am »

I'm sure almost everyone does it. It really is a huge chore after you've played the game a few dozen hours.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:41 am »

I actually want to install Silverstag (the feature list is amazing) but I'm also not looking forward to grinding dat charisma again till I have 100+ party size limit again.  So no mods unless they somehow keep save compatability.

I've got 36 RtR so that's going well.  All other factions still exist, we've been alternating between beating up the Vaegars and the Swadians.

Does anyone know a way to make lords follow me during war?  I want to take a town for myself but it seems highly implausible given they have garrisons of 300.  Whenever I ask someone to accompany me they say it would be more appropriate for me to follow them.

They actually do have compatibility. Go to the character page, look for a button (Statistics, I think?) and press Export Character.

Go to the other mod, quickly slap together just any random char with any stats, but THE SAME NAME, go into that character's Statistics and import character.

Re: accompanying, you need to be a marshal or, IIRC, have high relations with a lord.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: June 30, 2014, 04:27:27 am »

No, you're not doing it wrong.  The advanced tactics and formations are only available through some of the mods.

Once you do mod it up though, the whole thing changes.  You can set pre-battle orders, and then give specific instructions to different unit groups.  It's pretty detailed.

I'm not really an expert on it, though.
I've never really understood pre-battle orders.  My orders always change based on what the terrain looks like, and it's always different enough that I immediately move my dudes anyway, so like, yeah.  It just seems like pointless faffing around.

Formation orders and tactics and stuff are pretty handy.  I'm not an expert in them or M&B in any sense, but they can help give you an advantage - just kinda simple stuff like 'stand closer'ing really hard if the enemy has cavalry, and make them hold somewhere with trees around, preferably at the crest of a hill, to gum up their horse charges.  Spread out if you're advancing on an archer-heavy army position.  If the enemy is scary and advancing on you with skirmishers or arrows (say, Sea Raider types, when you're still fresh and weak), hide just behind the top of a hill and charge when they start cresting it (spreading out is probably a bad idea here, since they're individually pretty tough, and you want your dudes close together to help out.  I usually stand closer really hard, though I'm not sure if that's optimal, since then they might be getting surrounded more).

Oh, and remembering to make your infantry charge when the enemy line smashes into them.  Elsewise they mostly just stand there eating whatever javelins the enemy has, and then letting the enemy maneuver around them.  Possibly acceptable if they're shield-heavy distractions, but you probably want them hitting back, which they seem to not really do when hold positioning, as the enemy will sorta hit them and back off out of range and stuff.

A lot of the time I've ended up acting as a distraction by just horsing in circles around charging bandits.  If I've got enough archers, they can take loads of potshots, and it spares my infantry casualties.  That probably falls under the purview of 'abusing AI' more than battlefield tactics, though.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: June 30, 2014, 04:45:31 am »

The thing is, the default is 'EVERYONE CHAERG AND FUCK FORMATION!'. PBO is just a small convenience if you don't have to hit 0-F1-F1-1-F2-F4-2-F2-F5-3-F3 every time you start a battle to get everyone into a formation that makes sense.

If you are worried about being surrounded, use the '=' command group - Nearby Soldiers - in the middle of your infantry formation and send a bunch of soldiers off to a flank. You can also assign a bunch of troops to another group, but M&B is kinda silly in that regard.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: June 30, 2014, 07:14:18 am »

I-I just set everyone to follow me while I quickly start running around trying to scope a good spot to set up.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:14 am »

I-I just set everyone to follow me while I quickly start running around trying to scope a good spot to set up.

Yeah, considering M&B is more small scale battles, I've never found that formations to be life savers. I do the basic tactics mentioned above, meatshield in front of archers, bunched up inf, shock troopers to charge etc. In sieges though, they can win you overwhelming odds both defending and assaulting. Also, am I the only one who goes about 8 Str, 10 Agi, Max Int characters? The bonuses that int gives are too hard to pass up, and allows for more versatility and possibilities. What do you people usually go as?
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 310