Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655879 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3420 on: June 26, 2014, 04:15:11 pm »

I mix things up depending on my character build, but my default is to do this:

Main Infantry force - Used as needed, depending on enemy type
Polearms - If I have enough they get broken out into a separate group from the Shield using infantry, and placed accordingly depending on how many archers my foes have.
Archers - On the best hill I can stick them on, and told to hold position. I try to maneuver my enemies to be in their fire if i can, if not they follow behind the infantry by a bit.
Melee Mounted (Usually told to follow me) - I use these to intercept enemy horse units or do sweeping charges back and forth across the battlefield)
Ranged Mounted - Mostly I let them do their thing, sometimes I have them follow me.
Guards - Told to keep the Archers safe. Usually weaker infantry I want to have in the battle but don't want to put in too much danger while they level. Sometimes includes basic infantry troops if I'm mostly going mounted.

Works pretty well. This is with my personal mod and some of the more basic mods for warband. Haven't tried any of the major conversion mods yet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: June 26, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »

Wait wait wait... Have I been playing wrong using just general "hold position" and "charge"? :P
I guess I should give manual a re-read, since I don't think there's an in-game tutorial for army command stuff.

Anyways, got this on the steam sale. 20 hours in and so far so good. Any help on those "basic mods"? I'm sure this game will get stale in time and that's when I break out the warhammer mod, but until then I'd prefer vanilla or basic convenience mods only.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: June 26, 2014, 05:18:14 pm »

The Diplomacy mod is pretty much a must. I've also got a few that add things like new armor and weapons to the game. Maybe some more, it's been a couple of years since I put this modpack together.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: June 26, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »

No, you're not doing it wrong.  The advanced tactics and formations are only available through some of the mods.

Once you do mod it up though, the whole thing changes.  You can set pre-battle orders, and then give specific instructions to different unit groups.  It's pretty detailed.

I'm not really an expert on it, though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: June 26, 2014, 05:19:31 pm »

Diplomacy mod hasn't been functional for years. Silverstag, as I said, is basically the new Diplomacy, as (at current) it's mostly vanilla with pretty much all the Diplomacy features and some other ease of use, interface changes.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: June 26, 2014, 05:47:02 pm »

No, you're not doing it wrong.  The advanced tactics and formations are only available through some of the mods.

Once you do mod it up though, the whole thing changes.  You can set pre-battle orders, and then give specific instructions to different unit groups.  It's pretty detailed.

I'm not really an expert on it, though.

Aaaaactually... Spread Out and Stand Closer are essential tools for countering Cavalry and being efficient with your troops, Advance 10 is basically an charge in formation, and Nearby Troops select ('=') is extremely useful for micromanaging troops in sieges so that they aren't a bunch of cretins, or making small troop detachments without meddling into setting up separate groups.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: June 26, 2014, 05:55:16 pm »

No wonder I suck at sieges.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: June 26, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »

Sieges are easy.  Just make a good archer and slaughter 150 enemies single-handedly with minimal effort.  All your troops need to do is keep them busy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:53 pm »

Or load up on the best sieging army full of huscarls and sharpies, absorb all their arrows, and then laugh as your huscarls wreck the defenders and your sharpies make the defenders pincushions.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:38 pm »

Or just park your troops outside of deadly range and let the defenders waste their ammo. Send in your archers to mop them up and lead the infantry charge.

Congrats your 50 bandits have just taken a 500 garrisoned town. Party like a Swadian.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: June 29, 2014, 07:39:44 am »

Or just park your troops outside of deadly range and let the defenders waste their ammo. Send in your archers to mop them up and lead the infantry charge.

Congrats your 50 bandits have just taken a 500 garrisoned town. Party like a Swadian.

Um...dude....AI siege forces have infinite ammo....

Maybe I'm playing the wrong mods o.o
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: June 29, 2014, 08:46:29 am »

No, I'm quite sure even AI forces do not have unlimited ammo. Pretty sure I've managed to bait them into emptying all their ammo by leaving my army in the background. It's just that once you start murdering people, new reinforcements will arrive with fresh ammo.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: June 29, 2014, 09:40:09 am »

In most mods i have played the defenders of a siege (the AI only, not the player) have unlimited ammo (as in the defender ranged units have a refill of their arrows/bolts every X minutes), while the attackers do not.
I think it was already the case in Native, but it's been a very long time since i have played warband without any mods.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: June 29, 2014, 09:45:24 am »

In native you get a ammo reload once in a while, so it's better to charge early.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: June 29, 2014, 09:38:26 pm »

No, I can confirm that they get limited ammo but refills periodically during the siege. It is why some people use sharpies with their board shields up to soak up the arrows, then fire once they run out. Rinse and repeat if they refill.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 310