Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655829 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3375 on: June 15, 2014, 10:35:27 pm »

So steering the discussion into completely different waters. Has anyone tried Caribbean yet?

It seems to be the same folks that did With Fire and Sword working on making a hybrid of Sid Meier's Pirates! and Mount and Blade. Personally I've been wanting for such a combination since I've played both and find myself rather optimistic.

Sadly it's currently in Early Access on Steam and due to Valve's awful handling of the concept I've been trying to stay away from those games until their true release dates (if that even happens).
Feedback on the Steam forums seems rather mixed but the Steam "community" is one of the worst I've had the displeasure of viewing so it's hard to gauge any real feedback on the quality of the title from there.

This guy has done some around 2 videos of gameplay on Caribbean. From what I saw it looked quite well made. Ship battles have broadsides before boarding if you're within range of the enemy. Units can wheel cannons around on the battlefield. I don't remember seeing much more than that though.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: June 15, 2014, 11:40:39 pm »

vanilla factions ? you mean the ones from Native ?
Last time i played (last week) , Warhammer Conquest didn't featured any of the vanilla faction ?

That said, the mounted (on a squig) night goblins are hilariously fast in battle.
the main weak point of Warhammer Conquest to me is there are really too few bandits or neutral roaming on what is a gigantic map, and in some huge sections of the map there's simply none to fight there.

I think hes confusing Warhammer and Phantasy Calradia

Yup.  Never played Warhammer, sorry.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: June 16, 2014, 06:11:53 am »

Any idea why Floris 255 would result in all the cities and castles disappearing after I finish the tutorial questline?

Floris does that sometimes. I fix it by clicking where one of the "character/quests/etc." bars should be. Its not just after the tutorial, it happens pretty much randomly, but is an easy fix.

Much worse is the one where the terrain starts clipping in map mode, that shit requires you to either deal with not seeing anything or full on save and exit to desktop to fix.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: June 16, 2014, 09:23:54 am »

Yup.  Never played Warhammer, sorry.

You should give it a try, the mod is really fun and has a good potential, hopefully next patch will improve some of its problems

That said, i've been running a character in Gekokujo since a while, and i find it really great,
The start change regarding the merchant "save my brother" story hints to some bigger storyline, i have no idea if what the merchant explain is actually implemented and will happen through the game, but it make it look like there's some interesting underground things going on

Additionally, like in Brytenwalda, i think the focus on having mostly foot troops in armies and having cavalry less numerous make the battle more intense instead of having "fullcavalry-charge-win" like in native.
But in the same time i've only reached level 12 so maybe this observation is only valid up to now as it's still early game, so i could be wrong and soon enough everyone will have the Native "fullcavalry-charge-win" thing.
Though there are lots of spear troops, so if the mod is using the same spear code vs cavalry that some mods had, it could balance good unlike in Native.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:21:54 am by Robsoie »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: June 16, 2014, 09:52:25 am »

I actually started to use extremely infantry-heavy (pure infantry or just a couple cav mixed in for archer-hunting and pursuit) armies in all the mods lately. Not only it's more interesting tactically and thus fun, but also, as I found out, infantry tactics can conserve more troops per battle.

A charging horseman is basically on his own, and if someone shoots him, or he runs into an obstacle, or he smashes into a dense bunch of troops, he's done. A mixed troop of melee and ranged infantry can take down enemies at a range and protect each other.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: June 16, 2014, 11:56:24 am »

I actually started to use extremely infantry-heavy (pure infantry or just a couple cav mixed in for archer-hunting and pursuit) armies in all the mods lately. Not only it's more interesting tactically and thus fun, but also, as I found out, infantry tactics can conserve more troops per battle.

A charging horseman is basically on his own, and if someone shoots him, or he runs into an obstacle, or he smashes into a dense bunch of troops, he's done. A mixed troop of melee and ranged infantry can take down enemies at a range and protect each other.

I like to use a tight group of heavily armored/shield-carrying infantry.  The enemy cav will charge in and get an initial burst of kills, but then get cut down.  Meanwhile, I go horse archer all over the enemy archers/infantry and delay/heavily soften them up for my troops to finish off after they're done with the cavalry.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: June 16, 2014, 08:09:22 pm »

So I just started playing the Phantasy mod and I'm not really sure what to do. How do I magic? Is it worth it?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: June 16, 2014, 08:45:15 pm »

So I just started playing the Phantasy mod and I'm not really sure what to do. How do I magic? Is it worth it?

Buy a spell book, put points into magic power.  Buy some spells (Book and Spells purchased from the Mage's Guild within custom towns) and write them into your book while camping at some point.  Press B in battle to use magic, N to use Cleric spells (Needs faith for those).

Magic Storm is ridiculously worth it.  You throw a cloud of magic missiles at the enemy army and it will decimate whatever you hit with it as long as your magic power is 8+.

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: June 17, 2014, 12:42:27 am »

Any idea why Floris 255 would result in all the cities and castles disappearing after I finish the tutorial questline?

Did you accidentally turn on Fog of War?

Nope. It's a texture glitch of some sort. The land is all break-y too.
Famous for stupidity and humor.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: June 17, 2014, 12:58:10 am »

I get that, I think. The landscape around mountains and the water layer disappears, sometimes the city models disappear as well. I assume it's due to minimising or losing focus on the game window. It looks like the game doesn't load a section of the map correctly.

I think it's a problem with the game engine, as I seem to remember having this with base Warband as well as across multiple mods. It might be exasperated by the more memory intensive mods.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: June 17, 2014, 02:54:23 am »

Heh, I think Kerbal has the same program, if you tab out while the game is loading a lot of textures will fail to load, including text.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: June 17, 2014, 06:50:23 am »

Buy a spell book, put points into magic power.  Buy some spells (Book and Spells purchased from the Mage's Guild within custom towns) and write them into your book while camping at some point.  Press B in battle to use magic, N to use Cleric spells (Needs faith for those).

Magic Storm is ridiculously worth it.  You throw a cloud of magic missiles at the enemy army and it will decimate whatever you hit with it as long as your magic power is 8+.

This, allowing for the fact that you can start out as a mage and not have to buy a spell book unless you want to make companions into mages.

Magic Missile and Missile Storm get more missiles from Magic Power, but are only affected damage wise by the Power Throw skill, if I've read the scripts correctly. Things like Fireball, Lightning Bolt and Flame Arrow get much better returns from high Magic Power. Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug, but Magic Power allows you to go above 10 points, so you can become extremely powerful after a few sieges of spamming Fireball.

As a character, you can basically single handedly decimate entire armies on your lonesome. I accidentally got caught by a Blazing Hand guy with 500 units, when I had 250 (with maybe 150 fodder undead troops risen by Necromancy), which actually managed to whittle them down to around 50 or so troops due to a decent number of high end Shadows and a few captured Demons. I then proceeded to kite the last 50 around with Magic Missile and the occasional Missile Storm, while mounted (and cackling at their inability to catch up on foot), and regenerating any wounds sustained due to the Ring of Healing. The only way it could've been easier is if Magic Power came back quicker, and if I had a unicorn for another regeneration script.

Mage companions and troops are useful for alpha strikes, but their AI is sort of dumb in many cases.

Did you accidentally turn on Fog of War?

Nope. It's a texture glitch of some sort. The land is all break-y too.

Odd. The only visual bug I normally get tends to affect the base game and all mods, causing triangular pieces of light to become distinctly visible on the map (both overview and battle) while other areas become darker. It can pop up when I alt tab (assuming the game doesn't crash outright) or even when leaving a town, but it can fix itself afterward. Annoying, but not game breaking.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: June 17, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »

-snip-
-snop-

This, allowing for the fact that you can start out as a mage and not have to buy a spell book unless you want to make companions into mages.

Magic Missile and Missile Storm get more missiles from Magic Power, but are only affected damage wise by the Power Throw skill, if I've read the scripts correctly. Things like Fireball, Lightning Bolt and Flame Arrow get much better returns from high Magic Power. Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug, but Magic Power allows you to go above 10 points, so you can become extremely powerful after a few sieges of spamming Fireball.

As a character, you can basically single handedly decimate entire armies on your lonesome. I accidentally got caught by a Blazing Hand guy with 500 units, when I had 250 (with maybe 150 fodder undead troops risen by Necromancy), which actually managed to whittle them down to around 50 or so troops due to a decent number of high end Shadows and a few captured Demons. I then proceeded to kite the last 50 around with Magic Missile and the occasional Missile Storm, while mounted (and cackling at their inability to catch up on foot), and regenerating any wounds sustained due to the Ring of Healing. The only way it could've been easier is if Magic Power came back quicker, and if I had a unicorn for another regeneration script.

Mage companions and troops are useful for alpha strikes, but their AI is sort of dumb in many cases.
Yeah that part makes sense, Magic Missile and Missile Storm both act like throwing weapons, and don't have any additional damage done when hitting enemies.

The above 10 is not a bug, it's actually design and it's happened in a couple of mods I've found.  Power Strike can also go above 10, along with Iron Flesh, pretty sure Faith can go above too.  They all max out at 15 instead of 10.

And you could always put mages in the archer group and have them hang back if you wanted to, that's not too big a deal.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: June 17, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »

There is a reason Powerstrike, for instance, is capped at 10 - I, inspired by Stefender, made a Barbarian Hero/cheat-ass character in Native with maxed out STR/AGI skills. The result was a guy who could quite easily KICK PEOPLE TO DEATH, through armor and all.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: June 17, 2014, 05:17:31 pm »

There is a reason Powerstrike, for instance, is capped at 10 - I, inspired by Stefender, made a Barbarian Hero/cheat-ass character in Native with maxed out STR/AGI skills. The result was a guy who could quite easily KICK PEOPLE TO DEATH, through armor and all.
You use way too many commas.

I've done this too though. It's quite hilarious. They don't actually die, IIRC. They faint and become prisoner material.

It's the same if you punch them.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 310