Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657326 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2700 on: November 29, 2012, 10:14:12 am »

Light&Darkness is a really unique mod in the middle of the Warband ones, as it's the only one that has a storyline that is progressing during your play with events unfolding, new quests opening etc...

Really worth a play even if heroic fantasy is not your prefered genre.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »

Wow, Brytenwalda is cruel. I started my very first game and when I leave my starting town a party of 18 bandits are standing literally RIGHT ON the entrance/exit, so the moment I moved I was attacked and lost the fight. I also watched a novice fighter in the arena with a sword outrange my spear. Dear god, this is going to be traumatizing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »

Wow, Brytenwalda is cruel. I started my very first game and when I leave my starting town a party of 18 bandits are standing literally RIGHT ON the entrance/exit, so the moment I moved I was attacked and lost the fight. I also watched a novice fighter in the arena with a sword outrange my spear. Dear god, this is going to be traumatizing.

Yeah I know what you mean. Just turn off all the realism stuff. It gives the AI too much of an advantage. Also, plain bandits are weak. If you have a horse, it's possible to solo groups of them. Other things you might consider bandits, such as Franks, are dangerous. Eqate them to a group of hurscarl deserters.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: December 03, 2012, 01:50:42 am »

Yeah I know what you mean. Just turn off all the realism stuff. It gives the AI too much of an advantage. Also, plain bandits are weak. If you have a horse, it's possible to solo groups of them. Other things you might consider bandits, such as Franks, are dangerous. Eqate them to a group of hurscarl deserters.

If you choose one of the starts that doesnt give you a horse, the game is even damn harder.

I may be wrong, but I was thinking freelancer got merged with bryt, where you could join a lords army  as a lowly soldier and just stick with him and do some random fights for experience and loot.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:28 am »

Yeah someone said earlier that you need a relation of at least 5 with a faction to join them.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: December 03, 2012, 04:42:20 pm »

On the note of Brytenwalda, might I bum a reliable download link from anyone? The one on the M&B forums seems to be broken, and the only free/non-registration related one I found gave me a "dead" file- maybe I'm just not following directions, but I couldn't execute nor find it among my downloads. :|
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 03, 2012, 05:15:26 pm »

On the note of Brytenwalda, might I bum a reliable download link from anyone? The one on the M&B forums seems to be broken, and the only free/non-registration related one I found gave me a "dead" file- maybe I'm just not following directions, but I couldn't execute nor find it among my downloads. :|

Try their official page.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: December 04, 2012, 12:31:22 pm »

I've been playing 1257ad lately and there's one feature I've come to love. When you fall in battle, instead of automatically retreating or having to sit there in a spectator camera view to watch the rest of the battle, 1257ad will let you take control of one of your men. It's great for a guy like me who likes fighting in huge bloody battles. I can keep fighting until I run out of men.

I've been wanting to try out Brytenwalda for some time, but I'm just curious if Brytenwalda has this feature?

Oh, just so I don't confuse anyone, I don't mean that "select commander" feature that Floris has. The feature in 1257ad will let you respawn into one of your men, switching your equipment and stats to his equipment and stats.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: December 04, 2012, 02:56:33 pm »

Nah, its just got the freecam thing, same with most mods.  Though id think this sort of thing would make me pretty much unstoppable, id just keep a few spare horses and decent weapons in my trunk and hide my guys off behind a hill, taking out 1 guy at a time to kill 10 of theirs.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:16 pm »

Does anyone know of a mod that makes this more of an RTS game?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: December 05, 2012, 11:45:57 pm »

I heard Sword of Damocles for the original Mount and Blade is meant to have a lot more depth in the overland map, never tried it though. There's the whole battle formation overhaul that's integrated into most of the major Warband mods, not really sure if there's anything else.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: December 06, 2012, 04:15:33 am »

I remember for the original M&B a mod called Custom Settlements which did alot of management. Too bad it never got much work done on it

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: December 06, 2012, 05:02:14 am »

Try their official page.

Much appreciated! This was actually the same link that I had followed before, but it turns out that the problem was... internal. Who know that four years of Temp files could be swallowing up 20/30 GB on the main drive..?  ::)

I haven't heard of anything that adds an overworld RTS-style feature, but the Freelancer mod, aside from allowing you to serve as a rank-and-file trooper and earn promotions within the armies of various lords, adds a tactical overhaul (from volleys to spear/shieldwalls) and upgrades the AI to use them rather effectively. The end result is a more tense combat environment that actually requires the use of strategy (on your part, if you are commanding your own band) to avoid being flanked and decimated all sorts of Fun.

I've found that the version of Freelancer for Warband 1.43(?) seems to work fully for the latest version, and aside from a few seemingly inconsequential script errors, I managed to successfully splice it with the Diplomacy mod, which is heaven. :)

And now, back to reenacting the adventures of of Lawrence of Arabia, M&B style! ^o^
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:06:22 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: December 06, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

20gb? holy fuckin hell.........

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: December 07, 2012, 05:14:06 am »

Freelancer is awesome enough that it's been embedded in a growing number of the larger mods, like Brytenwalda and Floris.

Freelancing can be a double-edged sword though. It lets you level up and gain good equipment (and keep it under certain conditions), but it also means that when you leave the army you'll be a high-level character without a warband in a world that scales its difficulty against your level, plus the diplomatic map might have changed significantly.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 310