Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657295 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2655 on: November 26, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »

I'm working on the Brytenwalda battlefield tactics AI a bit now. Adding a charge routine that makes them break formation and charge when the fighting starts, to get rid of the "Hey lets stand in a line while the elite infantry cuts a swath through our center!"
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: November 26, 2012, 02:57:20 pm »

Will you be releasing your edits anywhere? I think there's sufficient interest in a well-tweaked brytenwalda.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: November 26, 2012, 02:59:55 pm »

Will you be releasing your edits anywhere? I think there's sufficient interest in a well-tweaked brytenwalda.
Yes. Definitely.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: November 26, 2012, 03:02:12 pm »

I made a new version of my Brytenwalda submod if anyone's interested. Going to be posting it over here from now on.

Salt mine works a lot better now. Dishonorable lords could make a tidy profit setting up an operation there, as long as you keep it stocked with prisoners.

His edits are in that link. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: November 26, 2012, 03:04:55 pm »

It's great news to see that you can tackle the Brytenwalda AI shortcomings, it's definitively an area that could use some polishing and bugfixing.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: November 26, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »

Any chance of tweaking the results of executing a lord in the submod? I remember last time I tried you get something like -20 relations with everyone in the world for executing a lord. The fact that it's therefore virtually impossible for lords to die due to the lack of battlefield deaths is highly unrealistic and makes roleplaying certain characters difficult. I love the idea of playing a Briton with the goal of reclaiming Britannia from the Anglosaxons, but if executing lords makes lords of all cultures hate you it's impossible.
 It would be ideal for lords of the target religion/culture to get relation hits, ie: all briton christian lords dislike you for executing a briton christian, but pagan germans aren't going to care at all. Lords who are at war with the executed lord probably shouldn't be at all mad, maybe even liking you.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2661 on: November 26, 2012, 04:56:42 pm »

That'd make the mod too easy, though. Execute all the enemy lords and bam, no more enemies except for the occasional king party. You could neuter entire factions in a few game weeks.

If the game dynamically recruited more lords after a certain period it'd be OK to let you kill lords as much as you want, but they're in limited supply. Not very realistic for an entire faction to be crippled because you execute two or three guys, in reality they'd recruit new leaders and keep sending armies at you.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: November 26, 2012, 05:14:43 pm »

Looks like disabling the formation in the camp menu very sadly does not have an impact on the AI, only on your own troops.
After re-enlisting into a lord army, we got a big battle with another lord, and both armies main strategy was : "we must stay in line formation forever".

The battle summary :

- Let's all move in a line formation
- Attack after waiting for a few minutes
- Contact ! battle finally !
- 5 seconds later, both side retreat a bit, because the battle was starting to break their oh so beloved line formation
- once back into line formation ... attack !
- 5 seconds later, "line formation not perfect ! retreat !"
- once line formation perfect again ... attack !
repeat for more than 10 minutes.

I had ceased to watch, moved my character back to the start point, and was browsing the net while waiting for this to end.

After 20 minutes i ceased to hear the constant warcries, so i went back and noticed it was still not ended.. but there was none fighting anymore.

Quickly checking at the map i noticed why it wasn't finished.
Same problem i reported before, in one of the corner a few troops were running insanely fast , bumping forward and back against a map border.
Probably the AI fleeing code that does not work in Brytenwalda.

Oh well, time to press TAB and retreat as trying to catch those is impossible at the speed they're running.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:00 pm »

That'd make the mod too easy, though. Execute all the enemy lords and bam, no more enemies except for the occasional king party. You could neuter entire factions in a few game weeks.

If the game dynamically recruited more lords after a certain period it'd be OK to let you kill lords as much as you want, but they're in limited supply. Not very realistic for an entire faction to be crippled because you execute two or three guys, in reality they'd recruit new leaders and keep sending armies at you.
The Last Days uses leaderless raiding parties and the like in place of most faction commanders. There's only a few commanders per faction, but there's still plenty of hostiles around in the form of those groups. I'm not sure if that would work, since I have no experience at all with the mod you're talking about nor am I sure if leaderless groups use formations, but it's something to possibly consider.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: November 26, 2012, 09:03:44 pm »

Sometime battles can be hilarious, it was the 2nd round of a difficult battle, i was freelancing and we were basically in a 1 vs 2 desesperate situation.
To add to the injury, most of our remaining troops were archers.

And observing them not hitting anything, i was starting to conclude that ranged troops were not really as efficient in Brytenwalda as they were in other mods, and proceeded to move near my allies.
2 seconds later my character dropped dead, a javelin in the head.
:D

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: November 26, 2012, 09:09:53 pm »

The alternative is that every time a faction is destroyed the 20 lords in it go and work for factions which they have no business associating with, though :/

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: November 26, 2012, 10:08:41 pm »

That have just as much business associating with them as you do. And if they can die, you should be able to die.

Also, someone please tell me a good way of leveling troops. I have an army of weak guys and there don't seem to be enough weak enemies to grind them.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: November 26, 2012, 11:27:45 pm »

Spam the trainer skill on all your companions? I can get 100 rhodoks from tribesmen to trained or better in 3 or 4 days purely from sitting on my arse. Swadians to men at arms takes about a week and a half, nord recruits to warriors  is roughly the same.

Also, whats really fun is getting 6 or 7 companions outfitted in full knightly regalia, and riding around with no other troops. I can comfortably stomp bands of 40-50 bandits, and get plenty of renown for doing so :P 
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: November 26, 2012, 11:58:46 pm »

Spam the trainer skill on all your companions? I can get 100 rhodoks from tribesmen to trained or better in 3 or 4 days purely from sitting on my arse. Swadians to men at arms takes about a week and a half, nord recruits to warriors  is roughly the same.
Also, with higher trainer skill you can do it much faster.
I have trainer 10 and my companions have 4-7. I get pure men-at-arms in 5-6 days (because most companions are below lvl 15, only 2 of them about 19-20.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: November 27, 2012, 01:42:53 am »

*facepalm*

I was thinking this while I was posting it, don't know how I forgot. I'm having trouble with Brytenwalda and troop training. I am putting points into training, but it seems far less effective then Native.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 310