Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657224 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2535 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »

Okay, so shooting the Khergits then. :P
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 31, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

If you have enough infantry that can absorb the brunt of first impact, before they get into the shoot at you as they ride around phase... it makes the battle significantly easier...  but yea, I find that if you have foot troops, its better to have a balanced force...  all cavalry makes it easier, maybe... if you have light cavalry.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:47:43 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: July 31, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »

Never underestimate the tactical use of mountains against powerfull AI enemies, it's what allow you to defeat armies that would annihilate easily your troops in plain/small hill terrain (assuming you're not playing with lowered damage to give you easy survival chance).

Playing the latest Pendor 3.51  it's not rare to run into much more powerfull armies than yours.
(Pendor increase the difficulty by making lots of unique high end troops running around while having insanely high stats and strong armor/weapons, trampling then over your regular non-unique troops that have much lower stats and equipment)

And the best way to deal with these situations is to lead your opponents into a mountain area to have the battle occuring with high elevations.

Recently i ran into a "Aventura Conquistadores" while being an Empire new lord , it was an army of 75 powerhouses that would have killed my 76 troops of mixed Empire crossbowmen and lots of various mounted merc (some high end level but still able to die by against those unique troops power units) very surely if i attacked on plains or small hills terrain.

So i "attracted" them (as in Pendor it looks like every unique armies running around are only attracted to you, it sadly kills a lot of immersion to me to see them ignoring every armies around them to go only after my troops) to a mountain zone and trigged the battle there.

Spawned near a very high elevation and ordered every horse guys to dismount, then with my whole army following me, we started to climb.

Soon the Aventura Conquistadores powerhouses started to charge , and were stopped in their track by the mountain that they had to climb very slowly, while i had all my crossbowmen lined on higher ground , with the whole infantry+dismounted horsemen, i made "blobs" of defensive shield wall to prevent the enemy to climb up to the 35 crossbowmen lined there.

And what a massacre it was, the 35 empire crossbowmen were'nt the higher end of the Empire crossbow troop tree , but at such a small distance, we crushed the whole Aventura Conquistadores with relative ease, and got only a dozen of losses in my defensive walls (and half survived thanks to my medic companion guy skill) .

So in all mode, all those pesky superubertroops, get an army of half ranged units + enough infantry+cavalry dismounted to create defensive wall, and lead the superubertroops into mountains, and see the surprise in the face of the "i'll easily walk on your corpse in plains" AI enemy :D

A variation of this is to have a terrain generated with a river, get your defensive wall in the river (as it breaks the enemy charge) and your ranged units on the side of the river.
It's more difficult than using mountains though (as the river may spawn too far from you to place your troops before it's too late) and the enemy AI, depending on their numbers can still overwhelm you from many side quickly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:32:40 pm by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: July 31, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »

Well, you also had Empire Crossbows.  I imagine it would have gone differently if you tried that with any other faction's ranged units.

Still, I'll have to try that "stand on mountain peak" trick.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 31, 2012, 07:29:01 pm »

Well, you also had Empire Crossbows.  I imagine it would have gone differently if you tried that with any other faction's ranged units.

Still, I'll have to try that "stand on mountain peak" trick.

That's my standard approach for commanding archery armies.
And also my approach to all armies.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: July 31, 2012, 11:26:06 pm »

Always use the terrain to you advantage if you can, even if its a slight uphill incline, better then nothing.  Also, more chance to randomly headshot despite shields when you hold the high ground... 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: July 31, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »

Aye, mountains are great. Especially funny with powerful melee units who wield throwing weapons, like huscarls. Not only will a wall of bolts be coming down, but it will be hailing axes too.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 01, 2012, 12:33:48 am »

Speaking of huscarls, they are the best thing ever when it comes to defending a castle. As the enemy pushes the siege tower, AXE! As they come up the ramp, AXE! When they get to the actual battlements, MORE AXE!

Plus, they have the shields and armour to survive nearly anything actually shot at them in the meantime.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:00 am »

they have the shields and armour to survive nearly anything actually shot at them in the meantime.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 01, 2012, 11:27:45 am »

Got this on steam sales. Which mods should I check? And is there any LoTR based mods? From what I have played, it'd be awesome to command a rohirrim charge here

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 01, 2012, 11:30:00 am »

Which game? If it the original (Mount and Blade) then you can get the wonderful War of the Ring (or something like that), if it's Warband or With Fire and Sword you're out of luck.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 01, 2012, 12:18:57 pm »

I just found a usefull bug/glitch with the "deployable pavise" (from Floris Mod).

When defending a castle you can deploy it in tight spaces (doorways ladders ETC) and enemies won't path through there. turning the hard defense of 2 ladders into a trivial defense of 1 ladder.

Also i don't think there is a better nation for castle defense than Rhodocks.
Their polearms glitch out and the longer ones can stab enemies through up to 2 lines of allies.

basically you can find yourself getting stabbed by several dudes at once.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 01, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »

I would agree they are beastly in sieges, but I find Nords better just for the Huscarls. That's really all the nords have going for them, and all they need. But Huscarls with Rhodok Sharpshooters... Now there is a combination for seiges.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »

Which game? If it the original (Mount and Blade) then you can get the wonderful War of the Ring (or something like that), if it's Warband or With Fire and Sword you're out of luck.
Dammit, I got warband. Any other mod worth my attention?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 01, 2012, 04:48:09 pm »

If you like the Medieval era. 1257 AD is a good singleplayer mod for Warband and the only one that I've found that is actually updated. At least one based off the Medieval era. Closest mod I've found, that gets close to the Roman timeframe. There is one or two actual Roman based mods, but they are dead. Anyway, you'll need to read an install guide to get it working (the newest version), which is easy if you follow the guide...stickied in the sub-forum

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,167.0.html

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 310