Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657205 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2475 on: July 20, 2012, 12:34:39 am »

You could always just cheat the first 10000 gold, then turn cheats off after that.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:38 am »

I've never traded in all the years and hundreds of hours I've spent playing this game. Well, maybe one time I attempted to trade, but only as a gimmick character.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: July 20, 2012, 03:37:23 am »

I once had to resort to trading in a very very long time of peace.

I wasn't a noble so no income from land and I had a big army. I didn't have any productions set up and I had a contract with King Harlaus. Luckily war started again before I had to start firing troops.

That was when I had just started playing M&B.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:09 am »

I personally like to trade early on (As in right when the game starts) for an income boost. After that it's all stabbing.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: July 20, 2012, 05:46:26 am »

Admittedly, I'm not very good at combat, and most of the time, I can't refuse the oh-so-easy free money from trade.  It only really gets to me when it seems that I'm forced to trade in order to support my troops, instead of wanting to trade to hire mercenaries.

Oh, and I found a new mod that sort of takes care of the whole "paying for troops" thingy in a new way:
Blue Blood

No more hiring recruits: You only get troops from villages if you own the village, and then as a levy that you don't have to pay, but can only use for three weeks, then have to wait three weeks.

Mercs are still viable, although they tend to upset your levy troops if you have any.  You can also start as a true noble, with fief (village), renown, coin and everything.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: July 20, 2012, 05:49:47 am »

I never have that problem, though I never hire mercenaries. Most of my games tend to go like this
1. hire some peasants
2. ask lords for quests while hunting small bandit groups
3. Hopefully get a tax collection quest
4. Move onto raiding villages of factions I don't like.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: July 20, 2012, 06:44:04 am »

Tournament money is sufficient until you get fiefs.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: July 20, 2012, 06:48:45 am »

If you play Floris mod, you can run around as a soldier in a lord's army and earn shittonnes of gold.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: July 20, 2012, 06:56:33 am »

It's part of Freelancer "sub-mod" actually. Floris Mod is really just a massive collection of mods merged into one. I'm not exactly a big fan of it but it does have some interesting stuff. 
Some mods have become "essential" and are merged into other big mods. This includes stuff like the Diplomacy mod which as you can imagine expands diplomacy with vassals/lords. Prebattle mod with allows you to set the AI to use formations and tactics before the battle. Or the Freelancer mod, as discussed before.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: July 20, 2012, 08:54:28 am »

Trying to make an ultimate warrior guy.  Doing a pathetic job, keep getting wiped out by bandits because I've chosen to not have my guy wear ANYTHING.

Plus, I focused on two handed, when I realized, my guy's focus is on speed, not just strength.  So, dirt poor after so many beatings, my guy's slaving away in the arena, slowly but surely acquiring enough money to get a decent sword, so that he can reclaim his honor on the battlefield. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: July 20, 2012, 09:49:50 am »

How does melee with horses work? I can never reach the enemies when I try to hit, and my horse stops completely if it ever even touches an enemy.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:49 am »

Your horse will charge over infantry units if you're going faster enough and/or have a horse with a high "charge" stat. Try to find melee weapons with decent range and run along side units and strike them, charging straight into a pile of infantry will likely kill you. Polearms are the best weapon to use on horseback since you go go into first person mode and "aim" at units, one/two-handed weapons are a bit trickier. 

You will always stop when you hit one of your own units or enemy horsemen, try to avoid them. You can also jump if there's something in your way. You can generally clear a troop or two while jumping.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: July 20, 2012, 09:56:36 am »

Read what the ninja above said.

On open terrain, the game should be renamed "Mount and Lance", cause that is the idea weapon configuration.

But with other melee weapons on horseback, you swing your weapon right before you run up right next to your foe.  If you do it right, it tends to do a lot of damage.

There is also some technique whereby you slightly clip the person in the shoulder with the shoulder of your horse, this causes your foe to stagger, guarantees a hit, and doesn't stop your horse.  But I can rarely pull it off, so hopefully somebody else can better explain.

I usually get speared in the stomach as I try to slash my foes, so I really can't say too much.  But longer reaching weapons are better.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:23 am »

I think I'm aiming wrong somehow, it seems like the area where I can damage enemies (with both lances and other polearms with the biggest reach I could find) is only an insignificantly low amount bigger than the risk-of-getting-stuck-and-swarmed area.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:27 am »

Nope, that seems normal to me.   :P
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 310