Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656934 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2040 on: October 12, 2011, 12:52:53 am »

I haven't gotten too far in Brytenwalda; I'm just not very familiar with the time period it takes place in, and I don't feel like I have any idea of who's who or what's what. I have trouble getting immersed because of that. I need to read up that particular bit of history to enjoy it, I think.

I am really enjoying Prophesy of Pendor, though. I feel like I understand the world (light-magic fantasy setting) and I enjoy playing it despite not liking some of the features (some rare magic items you can eard, with difficulty, are pretty powerful ... but so are your enemies) ... but it lets you establish multiple Knighthood orders, gives you a well-designed sandbox with several long-term goals, and never feels really "easy." You can stomp rival lords well enough, but some of the minor factions will always give you tons of casualties. Oh, and I love how you can go about burning enemy fiefs to the ground and watch their army sizes dwindle. Just defeat a lord with nothing but burning villages? He'll have a pitiful, tiny new army. So many mods miss that, giving all AI lords infinite money or troops.

Any other good mods that offer a lot of immersion? Bonus if they include the Diplomacy mod or something similar. I like having lots of options and less micromanagement when controlling a huge kingdom -- might try Sword of Damocles or Floris ... are they good?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: October 12, 2011, 01:23:46 am »

If you want to increase your immersion in PoP, go to the official forums and check out the history of the roleplay. Basically, the entire history of PoP was roleplayed out by the forumgoers there.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: October 12, 2011, 01:48:55 am »

I'd seen it mentioned there, but thought it was something entirely different. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: October 12, 2011, 02:18:17 am »

I'm annoyed about how some things are handled in F&S.
For example not being able to join a faction while doing the main quests is simply annoying.
Now I have to start a new game and watch out so I don't take any of them...

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56:17 pm »

I haven't played F&S ... I might pick it up when it's on sale and I have the money for it. Everyone says it's a lesser game than Warband, which makes me hesitate.

I just can't wait to hear some more about M&B 2. I hope they integrate some of the best mods into it (or make them options), like Diplomacy or some of the other things in Floris and Brytenwalda. More options when interacting with people, more stuff to do in (and with) towns/villages/castles, more ways to delegate micromanagement to ministers ... love that stuff. Makes the game more interesting and easier to manage (when you have a large empire).

Any improvements to the combat would be great, but I honestly don't have complaints about M&B's combat, just the AI. Formations would be welcome. Prophesy of Pendor has a great set of scripts they call Vicky (or VI, for Virtual Intelligence) that makes the enemy act a little more realistic, assuming the enemy is an organized army -- things like trying to flank you with cavalry, or making better decisions on forming ranks / squares / wedges with troops, bracing spears to counter cavalry, sending their cavalry to hit your archers ... it isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than Native's setup and definitely more fun to fight against.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: October 13, 2011, 06:17:14 am »

I was skeptic too. But the firearms are suprisingly fun.
The mercenaries were a good idea and make the game more realistic.
And the new fief improvements make all your possesions a lot more valuable and useful.
The world map is more compact too.

There are a lot of other little changes. It may not be revolutionary but it's a good game.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: October 29, 2011, 01:59:45 am »

Any good mods for it? It's good, but the world map is bland as hell and I think the whole deal needs a bit of polish.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: October 29, 2011, 02:59:18 am »

Hey, I'm playing through Warband w/o mods towards the goal of getting the Empress achievement.  I suppose I should also mention that I basically have the entire Sarranid desert under my thumb and quite a few unassigned fiefs left over from when I left the Rhodoks (I kept asking King Graveth for castles and he kept complying...).  However, now that I'm an independent kingdom (queendom?) I seem to be having a dickens of a time getting all my lords happy, as assigning any fief drops my reputation with all the lords not receiving the fief by quite a bit.  Anyone have any tips on how to keep all my lords happy while having more than 5 at a time? 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:11:03 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: October 29, 2011, 08:31:42 am »

Just join lots of battles with your marshal. After every battle talk to everyone involved and get +1 relations with everyone.

Also, you're actually better off giving one to three lords all your important assets (and keep a few for yourself of course). Then give all the unimportant lords one village each. This way you only have to worry about those important lords defecting while you can ignore the rest. Also, those important lords will have much larger armies. Arguably more useful than a whole bunch of tiny armies.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: November 03, 2011, 11:02:53 pm »

I noticed there's a preview version that has been released of the Warsword Conquest mod for Warband 1.143 :
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,145937.0.html

I tried it and it's a lot of fun already, very refreshing to fight fantasy monsters around.
Be sure to give it a try, even in its "preview" status it's a very good entertaining modification for Warband, can't wait to see what the developers have in stock for future versions.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: November 06, 2011, 07:16:13 pm »

imo the warband mod blood and steel did guns, cannons and nades better than blood and steel.  Ive played alot of mount and blade and was dissapointed with fire and sword, id recommend trying blood and steel first
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: November 06, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »

Question: Any of you ever do much modding with Mount and Blade?

I'm trying to add in companions, and I found a very nice straightforward tutorial to do so. Problem is, it just isn't working for me. Obviously lots of people have followed it and gotten it to work, so I'm probably missing something simple. However, I can't find whatever it is and I haven't managed to get a response on those forums. I gather that modding that game is pretty infrequent these days.

Anyone here have a clue?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 06, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »

I actually did a fair bit of modding for mount and blade back in the day. What problem are you having exactly?? Are you getting errors when you export the module system??

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: November 06, 2011, 07:49:42 pm »

That's just it, I'm not getting any errors at all. Everything builds fine, the timestamps on the txt files get updated correctly, and...nothing. The new companion doesn't show up anywhere. I've checked every inn in every city (all rooms) and found every other companion. Just not my new one.

Tried it both with a unique companion and with one that was a complete Klethi clone like the tutorial suggests. No luck in either case.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2054 on: November 06, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »

Did you add the companion in the middle of the other companions? It needs to be within the range of companions so the code that spawns them will pick them up.

Also, you need to start a new game just in case you haven't.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 310