Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656798 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1830 on: July 07, 2011, 08:37:47 am »

Not forced, just able to. See: Oblivion, which while not necessarily a good game, allowed you to travel the world on-foot sandbox style AND through fast travel, by choice.

But you can travel everywhere in a city on foot. All the buildings form the quick menu have doors in the city, and all the shops are there too.

In M&B you mean? Yeah, you can travel everywhere in the city on foot. But ultimately your limited to that city's limited "map". And yeah, the quick menu buildings have working doors, but other places have doors that are just illusions and don't work, etc.

In Oblivion you could travel everywhere in a city on foot, and then leave the city on foot, and get to another city on foot. If you didn't want to do that you could traverse the various city sections through fast travel, leave the city through fast travel and get to another city through fast travel. The wholly former item is just what's missing from M&B.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: July 07, 2011, 01:08:40 pm »

Not forced, just able to. See: Oblivion, which while not necessarily a good game, allowed you to travel the world on-foot sandbox style AND through fast travel, by choice.

But you can travel everywhere in a city on foot. All the buildings form the quick menu have doors in the city, and all the shops are there too.

In M&B you mean? Yeah, you can travel everywhere in the city on foot. But ultimately your limited to that city's limited "map". And yeah, the quick menu buildings have working doors, but other places have doors that are just illusions and don't work, etc.

In Oblivion you could travel everywhere in a city on foot, and then leave the city on foot, and get to another city on foot. If you didn't want to do that you could traverse the various city sections through fast travel, leave the city through fast travel and get to another city through fast travel. The wholly former item is just what's missing from M&B.
Honestly I think traversing calradia on foot would be a waste of effort. There are some games where it's great that you travel far and wide in first person, but the game based around leading possibly hundreds of soldiers to battle isn't really one of them. The game is an rpg, I give you that, but not all rpgs are based on exploration.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 07, 2011, 01:25:56 pm »

Yeah, I think it would be mind-numbingly boring. You couldn't just slap something like that on without also adding some more gameplay specifically related to it to make it interesting.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 07, 2011, 01:47:48 pm »

With fire and sword is amazingly fun. Except those damn polish won't die out, I have singlehandedly saved the kingdom of sweden and taken every polish city by my self. My army of 100 grew to an army of nearly 300, at one point my group had nearly died out defending Lviv (my city as well with dubensk castle (the one to Lviv's right)) to a party of 21 men. They were my elite ranked swedish mercaneries which I had hired and trained for the purpose of protecting my caravan business. We retreated from Lviv as the polish army left for their last fortress. An entire army of 708 polish soldiers lead by at least 6 nobles of poland had died out trying to kill a small army of 103 swedish soldiers lead by one. I personaly took at least 100 kills as my tactic includes calvery and firearms. I usualy ride ahead of my entire army and engage the enemy, usualy killing one or two before my calvery arrive and before the foot soldiers arrive we get a good chunk of their calvery and marksmen dead.
I was truely amazed to find I won that battle, I guess the tactics skill was a big part of it as I had a battle advantage of 0 at the first skirmish of that battle.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 07, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »

Does tactics even do anything? Does it give all your guys hitpoints or damage or something? I thought it was only for auto battles.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 07, 2011, 04:39:31 pm »

Does tactics even do anything? Does it give all your guys hitpoints or damage or something? I thought it was only for auto battles.

Tactics gives you a better battle advantage in a battle, which means that you field more men while they have less fighting. Against large armies, it's highly useful.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 07, 2011, 04:42:16 pm »

Yeah.... I need that. I knew I was screwed when 750 guys attacked my castle and I ended up only being able to have ~ 20 guys out while they had ~ 50.

Do you know by how much the advantage is? Is it one guy per advantage point?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 07, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »

Yeah.... I need that. I knew I was screwed when 750 guys attacked my castle and I ended up only being able to have ~ 20 guys out while they had ~ 50.

I believe battle advantage is proportion, at least when it's 0 both armies are on equal footing. I've also seen that if I'm alone and going against 20 bandits, the advantage is -20.
It's certainly not one guy per advantage point, though. I think it may be percentage based.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 07, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »

All I know is it helps me win wars. Also, the skill that gives the 4% chance to be knocked out instead of killed, get that up ASAP. Even for me with a casualty rate of very rare, it saves the time and cost of training new men.
Beyond that, a wounded man can still fight another day while a dead soldier is just screwing you over.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: July 07, 2011, 07:43:33 pm »

How about a criterion that you didn't include in your list: When the goals set in the design document are fulfilled. Of course there's the slight problem that M&B didn't have a design document, or only an extremely vague one, and the devs went into it with only a vague pie-in-the-sky idea of what they wanted the game to be (as evidenced by the fact that the early versions feature elements wildly out of tune with the finished product, such as hints of a storyline and zombies).
So given that that's out the window, let's examine the options that you do give:
When the dev says so - We don't want that, because then they'll do exactly what TW did, declare it finished halfway through and make people pay twice.
When the customer says so - Above in reverse, we don't want developer enslavement to customers either.
Metaphysical line - No idea what that might be.
Finished = not developed any further - Seems reasonable to me, and by this criterion M&B was indeed declared finished prematurely, as evidenced by WB being a further development of it. So as far as I can tell, you're agreeing with me.

I cede the first three criteria, I'll leave the fourth one in the dust since even if I explained that I don't think it'll contribute very much other than waste space, but what you mean by "finished" in the last criteria sounds a bit odd to me though.
This definition is very counter intuitive, an unfinished game can indeed not be developed any further just as the finished game can be, but very few of us would say that there are games that appear to be unfinished yet the developers have stopped working on it entirely. Most of us would agree that such games are most certainly not finished, despite that criteria.
This also extends past the realms of unfinished games as well. When I buy a copy of Dawn of War: Winter Assault, I expect that the game I buy is finished. And using this example of not developed any further, this would clearly not be the case when I see Dark Crusade come out, and later Soul Storm come out. I have bought, in accordance to this definition, an unfinished game because the developers have continued to develop it. Likewise, if I bought a 2010 Mercury Cyclone and after a few months the 2011 version came out, my claims that I bought the unfinished version of the mercury cyclone would go unheeded by most people.

I think the claim that M&B was finished prematurely along with the claim that Dawn of War was finished prematurely stemming from this criteria are not simply appealing to whether or not the developers have kept working on it. It seems to be appealing to something more than than that. With this in mind, it would seem to go hand in hand with M&B being prematurely finished as it was released and later patched up, even if no subsequent sequels came out.

Again with the straw men. I never said anything about attaining perfection.

It seems to be the only plausible way of satisfying the clause as you interpret it though. "That the person who purchased the game will continually get updates for free until the game is finished" more or less. The only point where updates can stop when the game is finished is when the developer can no longer make the game any better. That is to say, the game, insofar as it is held within it's own settings and mechanics, is perfect. There is obviously a great deal of divide between what is finished and what is perfect, speaking normally, but given the way in which Warband has been argued as being nothing but the original M&B but better seems to imply that a game can never quite be finished so long as the developers can add stuff to it. Put these all together and you do get the claim that perfection is demanded through this interpretation of the terms.

This is all the more pertinent, in that the terms of the agreement weren't clear, with that being the case, it is most certainly unreasonable to demand the most liberal interpretation of the words in favor of one party.

Yet that's exactly what TW did, only on the opposite, "it's finished because we said so" end of the scale. So thank you for agreeing with me again.

Or there is another interpretation of that quote :P. Since the above "finished" criterion is no good, and we obviously both don't want to bind up the either party in servitude to the other, the answer is probably in between. Meaning what constitutes the meaning of "finished" is probably not M&B as it was released, but it to claim that Warband should be included because the buyer sees it as the same game probably isn't true either. Extending from this might be the case that the dev or the ship wright be made to patch up the game after its release, it would be no longer a matter that they can decided to take upon themselves at their leisure- that this specific type of agreement requires it of them. Where this practically leads to isn't all that clear though, I personally think the patches made for M&B puts it right in the area of a finished game. While this does clear up that neither extreme ends should be enforced, it doesn't give any guidelines to where in the middle it should be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't see how that is relevant in any way. WB isn't a bugfix, it has new features and content.

The claim that warband content should be included in M&B because it is the same game is wholly relevant to that example. Bugfixes and new content both contribute to a finished game insomuch as it is an update or makes the game better or more complete. The whole piece diatribe in the spoilers uses the tangible world's use of the word finish. This definition traditionally rests well within the discretion of the producer and seller. However, the main twist in the above piece is the issue of what happens when a customer buys something within the same constraints of a person that bought M&B in its beta form. I think the above analogy shows that there are certain risks involved with this style of purchase. One might be able to acquire the product through a discount and may even get to use these early incarnations, but without stipulating just what the end product should look like, doesn't leave much room to complain that the finished product should be this way or that way, much less that the finished product should be the most up to date in design and development. One can complain about the dysfunctional nature of part or the whole of the product and even be justified in demanding that the producer fix it as no cost to the buyer, but these factors fall within the realm of basic functionality of the product, and not something that should be put in the product due to it making the product complete.

I believe battle advantage is proportion, at least when it's 0 both armies are on equal footing. I've also seen that if I'm alone and going against 20 bandits, the advantage is -20.
It's certainly not one guy per advantage point, though. I think it may be percentage based.

One troop for every point in battle advantage is what was used in M&B, no idea about Warband however. It was more than one troop in most cases, the opposition would lose one troop while you gain one, meaning it's more like gaining almost two troops. But if your computer can handle it, turning up the battle size tends to nullify the effectiveness of battle advantage in all but the most egregiously unbalanced battles.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 07, 2011, 08:15:35 pm »

All I know is it helps me win wars. Also, the skill that gives the 4% chance to be knocked out instead of killed, get that up ASAP. Even for me with a casualty rate of very rare, it saves the time and cost of training new men.
Beyond that, a wounded man can still fight another day while a dead soldier is just screwing you over.

Indeed. I always make one of my companions a dedicated medic, using their skill points into the medical skills. I still don't get what the First Aid skill does . Does it increase the amount of health you start with after you are knocked out in the first fight?
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: July 07, 2011, 08:38:27 pm »

I cede the first three criteria, I'll leave the fourth one in the dust since even if I explained that I don't think it'll contribute very much other than waste space, but what you mean by "finished" in the last criteria sounds a bit odd to me though.
This definition is very counter intuitive, an unfinished game can indeed not be developed any further just as the finished game can be, but very few of us would say that there are games that appear to be unfinished yet the developers have stopped working on it entirely. Most of us would agree that such games are most certainly not finished, despite that criteria.

To be quite honest I don't recall if the TW purchase page promised the "finished product" or "all future versions", and I can't check since it's obviously been taken down a long time ago. I have a feeling it was the latter, though, in which case there's no problem.

This also extends past the realms of unfinished games as well. When I buy a copy of Dawn of War: Winter Assault, I expect that the game I buy is finished. And using this example of not developed any further, this would clearly not be the case when I see Dark Crusade come out, and later Soul Storm come out. I have bought, in accordance to this definition, an unfinished game because the developers have continued to develop it. Likewise, if I bought a 2010 Mercury Cyclone and after a few months the 2011 version came out, my claims that I bought the unfinished version of the mercury cyclone would go unheeded by most people.

This comes back to the distinction between the "as is" and "all future versions" business models. Most games have the former.

I think the claim that M&B was finished prematurely along with the claim that Dawn of War was finished prematurely stemming from this criteria are not simply appealing to whether or not the developers have kept working on it. It seems to be appealing to something more than than that. With this in mind, it would seem to go hand in hand with M&B being prematurely finished as it was released and later patched up, even if no subsequent sequels came out.

I don't think there's any question about the distinction between patch and sequel; besides, the patches were freely available. So that's really a non-issue.

It seems to be the only plausible way of satisfying the clause as you interpret it though. "That the person who purchased the game will continually get updates for free until the game is finished" more or less. The only point where updates can stop when the game is finished is when the developer can no longer make the game any better. That is to say, the game, insofar as it is held within it's own settings and mechanics, is perfect. There is obviously a great deal of divide between what is finished and what is perfect, speaking normally, but given the way in which Warband has been argued as being nothing but the original M&B but better seems to imply that a game can never quite be finished so long as the developers can add stuff to it. Put these all together and you do get the claim that perfection is demanded through this interpretation of the terms.

That right there is where you deviate from what I'm saying and start making stuff up.

Or there is another interpretation of that quote :P. Since the above "finished" criterion is no good, and we obviously both don't want to bind up the either party in servitude to the other, the answer is probably in between. Meaning what constitutes the meaning of "finished" is probably not M&B as it was released, but it to claim that Warband should be included because the buyer sees it as the same game probably isn't true either. Extending from this might be the case that the dev or the ship wright be made to patch up the game after its release, it would be no longer a matter that they can decided to take upon themselves at their leisure- that this specific type of agreement requires it of them. Where this practically leads to isn't all that clear though, I personally think the patches made for M&B puts it right in the area of a finished game. While this does clear up that neither extreme ends should be enforced, it doesn't give any guidelines to where in the middle it should be.

Like I said, in the absence of a design document I'm quite fond of the "when it's not being developed any further" definition.

The claim that warband content should be included in M&B because it is the same game is wholly relevant to that example. Bugfixes and new content both contribute to a finished game insomuch as it is an update or makes the game better or more complete. The whole piece diatribe in the spoilers uses the tangible world's use of the word finish. This definition traditionally rests well within the discretion of the producer and seller. However, the main twist in the above piece is the issue of what happens when a customer buys something within the same constraints of a person that bought M&B in its beta form. I think the above analogy shows that there are certain risks involved with this style of purchase. One might be able to acquire the product through a discount and may even get to use these early incarnations, but without stipulating just what the end product should look like, doesn't leave much room to complain that the finished product should be this way or that way, much less that the finished product should be the most up to date in design and development. One can complain about the dysfunctional nature of part or the whole of the product and even be justified in demanding that the producer fix it as no cost to the buyer, but these factors fall within the realm of basic functionality of the product, and not something that should be put in the product due to it making the product complete.

You're still trying to rationalize your way around the fact that WB is a further development of M&B. This ambiguity goes both ways, without a clear design document or other stipulation of what the finished product is going to be like, the developer has no basis to claim that the half-finished product is in fact complete either. In such a case there's no other way to resolve the issue than to examine the half-finished and finished products and see whether the latter is actually a continued development of the former (ergo the former is not finished but merely a work in progress). Which in this case it is.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:48 pm »

Indeed. I always make one of my companions a dedicated medic, using their skill points into the medical skills. I still don't get what the First Aid skill does . Does it increase the amount of health you start with after you are knocked out in the first fight?

Yeah. say you have 100 hp.
You lose it all in a fight.
you have a skill of 1.
you get 4 hp back on next fight.

it adds 4% each time you add to the skill, it also works off the ammount lost in the fight, say you only lose 50 HP in a fight, the next one you will get 2 hp back next fight.
My skill in it is around 10 or so so I get 40hp back if I die in battle. Which is well worth it because if you are unable to join the fight your soldiers seem to always take at least 500% more casualties than if you were there, even if you did nothing at all.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »

About Tactics, if you use Battlesizer to put the battle size to a few hundred, I don't think battle advantage means much anymore, especially if battle size is greater than the total number of men invovled. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen a significant difference in army sizes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:32 pm »

100 vs 300, battle size at 150 (the max without modding).

I had about 30 guys out while they had 120, it made a huge difference, I was slaughtered.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 310