Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656687 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1605 on: June 05, 2011, 09:36:54 pm »

Are there ANY crossbows you can use on horseback aside from the default one?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #1606 on: June 05, 2011, 09:48:49 pm »

Are there ANY crossbows you can use on horseback aside from the default one?
I think some, but they all suck compared to the heavier ones.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1607 on: June 05, 2011, 09:50:42 pm »

I think every nation has one village that's not attached to any particular castle or town, with always-crappy prosperity, just so they can shove it up the new guy's(that's you) ass.
Nope, every village is attached to a town.
Indeed, they just give you the absolute least valuable village at the current time. This typically is a border village that constantly gets raided.

Yeah, if you go with Swadia like me then you get Rduna, which constantly gets raided by the Khergits if you're at war with them.

Y'know, it's funny, Swadia actually seems like it can be the hardest to go with, since you're smack dab in the middle of the other factions (Khergits to the right, Vaegirs and Nords above, and Rhodoks and Sarranids below) which means none of the factions can "buffer"* if you're in a war.

And since i'm posting, am i the only one absolutely pissed off that when you're in an Arena fight or a Tournament fight and you get assigned the Bow, your only other weapon is a Dagger, which can't block and has a tiny range?

* Buffer, like, territory belonging to an enemy of your enemy between you and your enemy. A War Party wants to go straight to Swadian territory they probably can, chances are they won't have to risk going through an enemy faction's territory on the way (the Sarranids would have to squeeze thought the small gap right between the Rhodoks and the Khergits, but still).

FAKEEDIT: Hunting Crossbows and Light Crossbows are the only ones i know of. To be fair, i haven't really looked in the shops, i get all my loot from dead enemies and i put the gold towards more soldiers and Fief upgrades etc. so i could be wrong on this.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:54:01 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:19 pm »

I like it. Bows are horrifically overpowered in 1v1 arena fights if you're good at using them. The dagger can't block but attacks really fast. You can just keep swinging
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 05, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »

It's rather hard to keep swinging when you keep getting stunlocked by the other guy hitting you.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 05, 2011, 10:23:28 pm »

Bows can be pretty obnoxious, though, if you're a) not skilled in bow usage, and b) find yourself facing a sword + shield combo, especially in the last 1v1 round of the tourney. In fact, I'd call that combo even more annoying than the Practice Lance Cavalry duel - those bloody lances are too blunt to deal much damage if you aren't moving fast, and since your opponent circles around the moment you pass him, actually gaining any speed is nigh impossible.  >:(

Yeah, there's a reason I like Nord tournaments. Screw bows and horses and random luck screwing me out of my winnings; massed hand-to-hand fights are far more fun and generally more fair. (Not to mention far easier to win!)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #1611 on: June 05, 2011, 10:37:55 pm »

I hate it when the game decides to give me a lance.

First round in torurnament, 50 gold bet. I pass.
Next round, 50 gold bet again, I pass.
Next round, 50 gold bet again...

I get a fucking lance when I have no points in it.
Enemy has a fucking shield, which means I cant reach her.

FFF-
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 05, 2011, 11:05:39 pm »

Learn2lance. You don't need to put in any points at all, if you don't want to, it's a matter of how you actually use it. The other guy may have a shield, but they can't attack and block at the same time, so just keep doing hit-and-run attacks on him till he tries to attack you when you go past, in which case a well-timed hit will damage him pretty good.

As for gaining speed when they go past and circle around, don't worry about it too much, slow down and circle around as well and just try to use that limited window of time to speed up. If you want, you can try heading straight for a wall, then quickly slow down and turn away before you smack into it, so the other guy will probably smack into it, giving you time to run around and gain speed for an attack.

And yeah, i've yet to win a match with just the Bowand Dagger, since the other guys always catch up to me before i can get anyone. If i'm lucky enough that someone with another weapon has been knocked out nearby then that's a godsend, otherwise i'm done for and i gotta load the save and do the whole Tourney all over again.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1613 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:07 pm »

Really?  I love it when that happens...couched lance damage is massively OP.  Shield just means you have to hit them a second time after your first charge breaks the shield.

KG

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 05, 2011, 11:26:27 pm »

Really?  I love it when that happens...couched lance damage is massively OP.  Shield just means you have to hit them a second time after your first charge breaks the shield.

KG

This.

Just out of curiosity, what's crouched damage mean?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: June 05, 2011, 11:31:02 pm »

Couched.  The lance is braced so it stays rigid on impact, instead of being pushed back.
Shoes...

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: June 05, 2011, 11:46:11 pm »

Ahh, you keep it held back instead of thrusting it?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 05, 2011, 11:58:32 pm »

No, it's a special attack thing. You might need to turn the automaticness on in the options, otherwise you have to press a button that I can't remember for it to happen. When you have it going (you'll lower your lance, make sure you don't press the attack/block buttons) just run near the enemy and make sure the end of your lance hits them.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 06, 2011, 12:04:08 am »

Yeah, i have it on automatic, and i believe the lance is lowered when you're galloping along, so it must be that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: June 06, 2011, 01:42:48 am »

My favorite weapon with my favorite ability XD

Nothing is quite as satisfying as immediately colliding with the enemy lord at full speed (both ways) and instantly knocking them unconscious off their horse. (sometimes taking the horse down as well)

Anyone got any tips for when they put you in the arena as an archer and your enemy has a shield?
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 310