Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656646 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1530 on: May 31, 2011, 03:43:16 pm »

Getting pretty decent at crpg.  Consider myself good now at fighting multiple opponents, especially holding or pushing through clusterfuck choke points where I often get multiple kills.  Even won single-handedly on a couple occassions against groups of 3-4 players who I consider much better than me.  Won a couple duels against SpookIsland.  Stayed near the top of the scoreboard all night, often keeping well over 2-1 k/d ratios.  Was quite proud of myself.

Two more levels until my first retirement.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 31, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »

Dammit, finally get enough troops to siege castles solo through cheating and we declare peace with the Vaegirs.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 31, 2011, 04:35:57 pm »

Anyone else notice that black is apparently the strongest dye in the game? A regular yellow hood offers 10 protection to your head. A black hood, on the other hand, offers 18 protection. That's 8 more, simply by being black. No wonder the Dark Knights were so powerful, they realized the power of black dye, and used it on their armour!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1533 on: May 31, 2011, 05:15:31 pm »

I think the devs have some kind of fetish for black. Black is somehow cooler than colors like yellow, thus anything black is inherently better. Also, double barreled guns must have been seen as cool by the WF&S devs - thats why in  the double barreled dutch pistol in WF&S is somehow not only more accurate and more damaging than a single barreled dutch pistol, but faster to fire and reload too.

Similarly, the katana you could find in M&B was somehow way better than other swords just because it was a katana.

The next M&B release will include the black triple bladed/barreled katana/gun. It will instakill everyone on the map when you swing/fire it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 31, 2011, 06:22:44 pm »

The katana in Warband was actually kind of shitty, along with the rest of the Strange equipment.

Never played the original M&B though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 31, 2011, 06:49:32 pm »

I think that's because all the items in M&B had their stats upped dramatically at one point in development, but the strange equipment was left alone for some reason, so it was stuck with shitty stats after the overhaul. The same happened to a bunch of other items that were in the game but not unobtainable.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 31, 2011, 06:51:40 pm »

Just to make sure I wasn't remembering it wrong, I looked it up for the original M&B.

In the original M&B its way faster than any other 1h sword, and more damaging than all but the heavy sabre (which is way slower - 96 vs 108, and only 1 damage more). Its 32 damage 108 speed, a scimitar is 29 damage 105 speed. I believe in the first version it was added the difference was even more pronounced, but I may be remembering wrong.

Not as pronounced as the black armor items, though - seems like everything black is far better than other variants. When it was available, black plate armor was better than regular plate armor (technically its still in the files and better, but I don't think you can find it ingame anymore). Even in WF&S the black armor is somehow better than the other variants of plate armor available.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 31, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »

I played the original M&B some time ago.
Yesterday I got "with sword and fire", and..... it's too frustrating.

At first I thought it was super cool to have pistols and carabins, but after playing, you realice how impractical it is.
The whole point of M&B is you being in the middle of a big battle. Using your shield/cover, killing, avoid evemy proyectiles, etc.
But with guns, it just take 1 shot from some peasant at the other side of the map, and you are unconcious.
Any battle I tried with more than 15 enemies, I was taken out by a single "lucky" shot (I say lucky, because they are form reeeeally far away)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1538 on: May 31, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »

Not to mention, they removed stuff that was in M&B and M&B: Warband. In Warband, you can marry, participate in arena fights and tournaments, swear allegience to one of the main factions and take enemy castles etc. for them (can still be the ruler of one of them, but of course it'll still be part of the faction), Kings and such would hold feasts, etc.. Basically it could make you feel like you're part of the world, part of whichever faction you ally yourself with (if you choose to do so).

Problem with Fire and Sword is that it doesn't have those things anymore, it makes you feel like you're just this outsider taking jobs from the factions, and you can only take castles for yourself. Basically just this little rebel group, instead of being able to be part of something bigger. Too much was removed in Fire and Sword, and it just isn't as fun or detailed as Warband is.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 31, 2011, 10:36:34 pm »

So is there anything positive to say about Fire & Sword?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1540 on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:47 pm »

It has guns.

In fairness, it is still a decent game, but Warband is much, much better.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 31, 2011, 11:40:31 pm »

hahahah

now I got warband...
good thing they let you try the full game beforehand.

I was planing to start with a mod (as I think warband would be just too similar to vanilla)
I was thinking in this one
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,109.0.html

have anyone tried it? If yes, it is recomendable ? Or another mod in that case ?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 01, 2011, 03:14:31 am »

Floris mod pack is generally the 'expansion' that most people are into, includes a massive pile of stuff.  tbh i havent tried the basic native expansion
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 01, 2011, 10:56:24 am »

Floris mod pack is generally the 'expansion' that most people are into, includes a massive pile of stuff.  tbh i havent tried the basic native expansion

It does have several major flaws, though. Most notably the completely gamebreaking banks and huge dust plumes behind running horses that completely choke even top of the line computers.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 01, 2011, 11:27:13 am »

Haven't tried the Native Expansion.

The Native Mod Compilation is good, though. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,126993.0.html It has lots of nice mods all rolled into one.

I tried the Floris thing, but it was extremely unstable - crashing constantly with messages about being unable to find helmet textures or rgl errors.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 310