Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656495 times)

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1230 on: May 08, 2011, 10:14:58 am »

A battle, I sieged a castle
100 Huscarls (Mine)
400 Random guys (Rhodoks)
I actually thought that it was only around 40 guys, :P :P
Casualties,
57 dead Huscarls
358 Dead Rhodocks, rest unconscious.
I love Mount And Blade the Original.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 08, 2011, 11:35:37 am »

Question.

I just got a quest to become a merc company. How do I start, well, being a merc?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 08, 2011, 11:39:32 am »

Question.

I just got a quest to become a merc company. How do I start, well, being a merc?

While under a mercenary contract, you'll automatically work as a "lord" for that faction, with the restriction being that you can't own fiefs of any sort. Your faction relations will be set accordingly. You're expected to report when called by the martial and you'll also be attacked by lords of opposing factions.

Mercenary contracts are primarily to earn brownie points for the faction you're joining, which'll help to get you lord-ized. Your salary as a merc is underwhelming, but you can raid villages of the factions you're at war with and have a place to fall back on.

Basically, it's the Calradian version of a letter-of-marque.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:43:45 am by Blaze »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 08, 2011, 11:53:57 am »

I think you can raid villages without being attached to a country. You just have to piss off a nation(by attacking a caravan), which causes every village, town, and castle to become hostile to you, then you can loot and burn villages(and siege castles and towns I think).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:39 am »

You can raid villages without a contract, but that means you'll have to find another way to get back in their good graces if you do piss them off. When the faction you join makes peace with another, your relation to them gets set to 0, regardless of what it originally was.

As I said, merc contracts are primarily to earn brownie points with the faction.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 08, 2011, 02:04:43 pm »

A battle, I sieged a castle
100 Huscarls (Mine)
400 Random guys (Rhodoks)
I actually thought that it was only around 40 guys, :P :P
Casualties,
57 dead Huscarls
358 Dead Rhodocks, rest unconscious.
I love Mount And Blade the Original.

Huscarls are the only reason I play Nords in Vanilla. A band of 50 of them and you can pretty much melt anything that even looks funny at you.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 08, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »

I'd say Huscarls are even stronger in Warband.

When I see Swadian Knights or Sarranid Mamelukes I just bunch them all up and when the charge reaches my line I see 50 guys fall off their horses and axes flying everywhere.

Once beat 340~ Vaegirs with 30 Huscarls on hardest difficulty (I'll admit I spawned at the top of a ridiculously huge mountain though).

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 08, 2011, 02:39:38 pm »

Huscarls are the best, indeed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 08, 2011, 04:29:59 pm »

Life as a merc can be rough.

You'll only ever get ~25% of your monthly upkeep in pay. The rest has to come from ransoms, prisoners and loot. If there's no war, your boys starve.

On the plus side, if your Marshall has a large army, you just follow them around and wait for them to get into fights. It's the quickest way to get involved in 200+ person fights without getting your ass torn apart. You get major brownie points, first dibs on captured lords and all the prisoners and gear you could want.

On the downside, nothing ever really happens while you're serving as a merc. When your side starts to kick serious ass, the two nations almost always declare peace, at least on average setting.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:16 pm »

On the downside, nothing ever really happens while you're serving as a merc. When your side starts to kick serious ass, the two nations almost always declare peace, at least on average setting.
Playing some F&S as a merc for sweden, I participated in a massive offensive capturing Warsaw, Lublin, Minsk and a couple other towns before I joined the faction as a full time lord. Now nothing is really happening.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »

I always seem to side with the shit group. Soon after joining Swadia, we'd been pushed back three towns and lost our capital. I joined Sweden after they captured Moscow - within a month, Russia is breathing down our necks and we're down to four cities and a smattering of fortresses. And nobody ever. Ever. Sieges. ANYTHING.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 08, 2011, 04:59:59 pm »

The main problem with selling your sword to a kingdom as a mercenary (at least in Warband, i have no idea about the fire&sword) is that you earn no fiefs, meaning then no revenues from them and no possibility of castle/city of your own (as even if you conquer them by yourself, they will only go to lords of the kingdom you're working for) to garrison your troops to lower (a very lot) their wadges.

In the end, the only good point of being a mercenary is that you can leave a kingdom for another once your contract is finished without having a hit on your reputation and relations.

Basically, in term of finance regarding troop costs, it's more difficult to play as a mercenary than as a vassal.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 08, 2011, 05:04:21 pm »

The main problem with selling your sword to a kingdom as a mercenary (at least in Warband, i have no idea about the fire&sword) is that you earn no fiefs, meaning then no revenues from them and no possibility of castle/city of your own (as even if you conquer them by yourself, they will only go to lords of the kingdom you're working for) to garrison your troops to lower (a very lot) their wadges.

In the end, the only good point of being a mercenary is that you can leave a kingdom for another once your contract is finished without having a hit on your reputation and relations.

Basically, in term of finance regarding troop costs, it's more difficult to play as a mercenary than as a vassal.
That's why it's really considered a stepping stone to being a faction lord.
The only reason I could see is if you were doing stuff that pissed off tons of people. For instance, playing Brytenwalda, executing enemy lords is a quick route to having many factions wanting to kill you. If fixing those relations was just a matter of renewing your contract then that's a pretty good deal.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 08, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »

You'll only ever get ~25% of your monthly upkeep in pay. The rest has to come from ransoms, prisoners and loot. If there's no war, your boys starve.

That's more money then I get from my village each week. Seriously. The king gave me a (looted) village when I joined, and now I can't seem to get my hands on another piece of land. (Actually, how do you get another village or castle. Do you have to take it yourself or what?)

Mind you, I can easily pay my weekly upkeep after I win a battle against a sizable army (Around 50-70 enemy soldiers), so I'm not complaining much.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 310