Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656190 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1080 on: May 03, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »

Yep, it is pretty hard to make it through a full fight without getting my ass shot off or hacked up. I have been just running around in circles taking shots with the pistol, and that seems to work alright. I kinda like it because it is a bit more realistic, but that said..it does need the option to continue after you get KO'd because auto-resolve outcomes can be bullshit, and I think sieges are really gonna suck the big one because I'll be killed in a few seconds, I hope to try one out soon maybe its not that bad.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 03, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

On the exact same difficulty setting as in Warband, fighting lowly looters with no ranged weaponry can be slightly challenging. I had 29 troops to their 10. They managed to kill two of my mounted troops and seriously wound me. In Warband, that would be the type of group I would tell my troops to sit back and let me handle by myself.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that they can hit both me and my horse at the same time and they seem to do loads more damage.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 03, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »

Do I smell a balance patch incoming?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:28 pm »

Nah. It has more to do with the fact that armor is extremely expensive and you start with next to nothing, more than anything else.
!!&!!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 03, 2011, 07:09:26 pm »

Was this game play tested by robots or what? So far I'm not having much fun. The overworld is pretty disappointing as well.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 03, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »

I wonder how they think people will get the money to buy a grenade anyway. Or why they would buy one, when they are going to be shot to pieces the instant they try to use it.

The new AI commander multiplayer mode is interesting, but the ai will not follow your commands, and gets stuck basically everywhere.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 03, 2011, 08:57:19 pm »

In a way, it is reminiscent of the transition, in warfare, from swords and arrows to a more gun oriented army. They should've named it Mount & Blade: Stand Back and Watch Your Armies Do All the Work Otherwise You'll get Slaughtered by Lowly Riflemen, but that's a long and windy title.

On another note, for anyone having difficulty starting out:
1)Go to a nearby mercenary camp
2)Buy 20 cavalry for a pittance of 560... denars (Yes, I know thats not it)
3)????
4)Profit
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:35 pm »

Also note that, when it comes to your army, their equipment is the determining factor in their effectiveness. You can upgrade their equipment at the mercenary of your soldiers' nation.

In any case, yes, don't really try to get stuck in the thick of it until your army has already engaged in hand to hand, tying up their marksmen. Your strategy should be to have your infantry and marksmen advance first, until the battle lines meet, and then ordering your cavalry to charge. Remember your role is heavy cavalry yourself, and you ought to join this charge.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:22:09 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 03, 2011, 09:46:59 pm »

In a way, it is reminiscent of the transition, in warfare, from swords and arrows to a more gun oriented army. They should've named it Mount & Blade: Stand Back and Watch Your Armies Do All the Work Otherwise You'll get Slaughtered by Lowly Riflemen, but that's a long and windy title.
That's the truth right there.

It is quite fun watching 50 of your riflemen stand in one massive line, raping all comers.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »

Well, for some reason it reminded me heavily of The Last Samurai, which aside from it being a decent movie, had a tiny bit of historical backing. Bows took years for people to learn properly; crossbows (to an extent) and guns just had that point and shoot aspect to it. You could gear 100 men for guns much more quickly than you could the same number of men for bows, so far as training went.

I'm still playing Warband more than this (partially due to being granted a fief [one constantly raided village], and having an army that numbers more than 30... full cavalry/horse archers for the win!), but I may play it some more after some mods come out, especially ones that address the lack of character customization to start (and maybe the ability to skip the mandatory tutorial after getting massacred a few times). It just requires a bit of a different mindset than the previous games.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 03, 2011, 11:21:22 pm »

Yeah, I'm not gonna be playing this too hard until they get matches to continue after you're down. They should have added it in Warband when it wasn't so vital to winning fights.

e: Well, I'm won over. I guess I'm just easy. I didn't realize how easy it is to hire men - fifty troops and only 220 gold all told! Not bad at all. It's just the occasional hang up, like when I get hit by a lucky shot at 200 feet and we lose despite outnumbering them 3 to 1.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:36:01 am by Jackrabbit »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:03 am »

Pretty disappointed with WFS so far.

Getting headshot every single time I try to lance some bitches.
no quick way to raise an army, haven't had a single troop level up.
The overland map is pretty bland.
Not seeing much of this "epic story" they boosted about.
'Nades can down half an army.
Guns overpowered as hell.

I find it really disappointing that mods in the orginal Mount and Blade game contained so much more features.

Anyway I'm going to try and like this game. Gonna restart, ditch the horse, dump my skills into guns and recruit only marksmen.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 04, 2011, 02:03:19 am »

One more thing this game needs is to AI stops reloading if somebody is five feet charging at them with a sword.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:16 am »

Someone needs to explain how the hell you're supposed to recruit men from a commander. I just pay him money (and what the hell is copper, anyway?) and then nothing happens at all. So far I've only been able to recruit men from merc camps. Is there a period of training before you can pick up your troops?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 04, 2011, 03:41:49 am »

Gentlemen, this makes me want Warband: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6c4CP_YN3Q
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 310