Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods - Source OOC Thread  (Read 6842 times)

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Battle of the Gods - Source OOC Thread
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:14:53 pm »

Battle of the Gods - Source

Hello, this is the OOC (out-of-character) thread for the new installment of the Battle of the Gods.

Now you are going to ask me "What is the Battle of the Gods ?". My answer to that is complicated but I will make it short. BotG is a game involving RP. Each player plays as a deity of his choice and has a race of his choice. The gods have just decided to play a game in a world especially created for the purpose. The goal of the game ? Each has his own.

First and foremost, this is an RP game where you play as a god controlling and influencing his civilization throughout the Game.

Alright, this is short and complicated. The long version can be found by reading about the previous BotGs on their respective threads. I provide a link only to BotG 2 because IMHO it was the best of them all.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19241.0

The rules are simple, simpler than in previous editions of the game :

1) To enter the game you must provide a description of your deity and race. You can be as specific or non-specific as you wish. Once we have enough races I will make the map, you will choose your starting locations and I will announce the beginning of the game.

2) The game is played in turns. Each turn ends either after 24 hours or when all players have posted their actions for the turn, whichever comes first. The last player to post may announce turn change.

3) Each turn you post the actions of your civ and your deity. This is an RP game so the point is not to post a list of your actions for the turn. Describe them.
When your action involve changing something on the map (moving units, terraforming or whatever), add the new map to your post.
With each of your posts you also have to provide the status of your armies and cities.
You may not change your post once someone has posted after you. You may however post additional descriptions after he did.

4) You have cities and you have armies. Each turn you get a "token" which you can use to grow one of your cities by one size. The maximum size of a city is 5. The size represents a lot of things. Population, wealth, prosperity... It may be that you described your city as a lone monastery of monks. Though if they are size 5, they are damn good monks.
Each turn, each of your cities can produce an army. Making an army decreases the size of your city by 1. Putting it back into the city will make it grow by 1. Armies can be used for a lot of things, but the main purposes are combat and new cities.
Scouts and lone travellers are not armies. You must provide their status however.
To make a new city, move your army where you want to have a new city and make it a city.

5) Movement speed. An army can move two tiles every turn. No exceptions.

6) Combat and actions that involve more than one player are solved in a simple way. The players may discuss the outcome of the "battle" and try to reach an agreement. If they fail, they ask me to decide.
My decisions are based on a simple principle : I roll a d100, then use the result to decide how the "battle" ended. The close to 50, the closer to a draw. That's all. That's simple.

7) Divine intervention and secret plans. You are a god. You can do things in the mortal realm. You can do things in the room of the gods. As long as it's not overpowered it should be okay. If it is overpowered it is not okay.
You are playing deities. There is no such thing as a secret plan. If someone is building something somewhere, the someone has to explain it. Don't ask if you can send me PMs with your secret plans : you can't. You are playing gods.
The same goes for spying or whatever. Though remember, there is the god and there is the god's civilization. Don't mix up both.

8 ) If you think a player has done something that breaks the game (such as bringing in an invulnerable warrior), ask me to take a look into it. If I decide it is indeed overpowered, I will remove the "thing" from the game, or alter it in a way that will not make it overpowered anymore. This process is called "nerfbatting".

9) Nothing is immortal, nothing is invulnerable. The playground is the mortal realm and the room of the gods. And nothing else. The first to try to destroy the moon will get death by a thousand hammerings.

10) I am a referee, not a GM. I do not provide random events. I do not provide plots. I only do things when players ask me to. And I do it only to enforce rules. The game is done by the players.

11) Have fun. Don't stop others from having fun.

This game is long and it requires time. If you cannot afford to spare an hour every day to write something about your civ and talk to other players, don't join. Too many BotGs have died because of inactivity. The game should last many months, so make sure you have that much time.

If you don't have the time but still want the fun, make yourself an adventurer and explore the world.

Now you may post your civs and deities and heroes. Feel free to comment on the rules or suggest things or ask questions. I probably forgot things. The game will begin with at least 5 civs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:23:04 am by Istrian »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods - Source
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »

A new BotG already?

My reaction is as usual: I really, really want to play, but dont have the time to do it properly, and so am devastated.  :'(

Suggestion: Might it be considered to use something other than the raw forums? I have always thought Google Wave would be perfect for BotG, and if the number required is not to great I might even give out some invites to make it happen.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 03:49:53 pm »

::) as exspected. Ok I have work now but i can free a hour per day for Botg.

Since we all want to play i think we stay at the forums and do not rely on a closed Beta of an obscure 3rd party service (Thought i have the avaibable servers here somewhere for a private Wave-setup.) As usally Forum and Irc-channel will be sufficient for me.

I am going to find some inspiration for now ;).

Questions:

How are the battles handled? Do we have the Sphere Model again?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:02:32 pm »

Players can communicate as they wish, though keeping everyone up to date (by summarizing in the thread) would be very welcome.

As described in the rules, battles are resolved in a simple way. Either the players can reach an agreement, or they cannot. If they can, then good.
If they can't, they ask me, I roll dice and tell the outcome.

You can specify spheres for your deity if you wish, though people play omnipotent deities. Considering that, spheres would just give an idea of your usual way to intervene within the world, but it is not the only one.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:48 pm »

Of course I'm in, I'll use my previous race since I didn't get to flesh them out to much in my failed round.

Symbol:
City: R
Armies: r
Spoiler: Civ (click to show/hide)
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:08:57 pm »

I asked Istrian if I could have have 2 adventurers and a civ, and he said that I could, but only if the other players don't mind.

So is anyone against it? I'll be reusing the Suin and the Adventurers from the previous failed BotG.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »

Heh, as long as things don't go out of hand I don't mind.

and as long as you can juggle three different rps at once.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:52:29 pm by mission0 »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 01:13:01 am »

Strife will participate with the zefies. As per usual.

More stuff when I'm not running entirely on caffeine and have to get a major physical in four bloody hours.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:58:33 am by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:44:21 am »

City: T
Armies: t
Adventurers: t

The Suin

Spoiler: Deity (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Civ (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Checking with Istrian for my city description and adventurer description.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 07:44:02 am »

Race: The humans.

Description:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 07:45:39 am »

Ah, finally ;)

The Mitharim

Symbols: M, m

Spoiler: Deity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hero (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »

A new BotG already?

My reaction is as usual: I really, really want to play, but dont have the time to do it properly, and so am devastated.  :'(

Suggestion: Might it be considered to use something other than the raw forums? I have always thought Google Wave would be perfect for BotG, and if the number required is not to great I might even give out some invites to make it happen.

Google wave does sound interesting, however I'm not sure how it would work. Unless we did sessions together all at one time, creating our turns in the chat and saving it there until the next session. Would be a large step up from our usual forum posts, but it also opens up some interesting opportunities.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 09:50:08 pm »

A new BotG already?

Google wave does sound interesting, however I'm not sure how it would work. Unless we did sessions together all at one time, creating our turns in the chat and saving it there until the next session. Would be a large step up from our usual forum posts, but it also opens up some interesting opportunities.
Why would we have to do it at the same time? I think you might be underestimating wave in some way, or more likely I'm misunderstanding something.
But yea, wave would be awesome, to bad noone else seem to want it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 10:05:15 pm »

A new BotG already?

Why would we have to do it at the same time? I think you might be underestimating wave in some way, or more likely I'm misunderstanding something.
But yea, wave would be awesome, to bad noone else seem to want it.

Perhaps I am, I'm not to familiar with it. I'm basically comparing it somewhat to Ventrilo, or teamspeak. One sec let me see what the almight wikipedia says about this.

Edit: Ok scratch my ignorant speakings of above. If what I'm reading of google wave, I would agree that it would be a great tool to use in a game of botg.

In other words I would like to second Armoks idea ^_^
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:08:15 pm by mission0 »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »

We don't need to fix what ain't broke.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5