Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I feel dirty. But why am I grinning?  (Read 2689 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: I feel dirty. But why am I grinning?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 07:10:25 pm »

Just try and top that level of evil.

You are forgetting which fandom this is. We will.

Who said I forgot?  That was a challenge I fully expected to be fulfilled, not a statement of absolute triumph.

Very well then. I might get around to it.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 07:13:13 pm »

Diablous, your avatar makes me grin and wonder if you too have had the idea of mass-producing dwarven mecha as instruments of killage. ☼cave spider silk cape☼, ☼cave spider silk mask☼ and custom profession "Black Knight" optional.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:29 pm »

What have I done.

I'm remaking my Carp/Cat Civ Mod, and...

After I get back from the YMCA, I'm going to create their Entity and see the results of Mecha-Carp.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:35 pm »

Diablous, your avatar makes me grin and wonder if you too have had the idea of mass-producing dwarven mecha as instruments of killage. ☼cave spider silk cape☼, ☼cave spider silk mask☼ and custom profession "Black Knight" optional.

How'd ya guess?  ;D I have wondered what a dwarven mecha would be like. Like a dwarven version of the Gawain, Mordred, or Shinkiro. What would they do to it?

Anyway, I'm contemplating what horrible thing to do.
To be partly feline,

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »

How'd ya guess?  ;D I have wondered what a dwarven mecha would be like. Like a dwarven version of the Gawain, Mordred, or Shinkiro. What would they do to it?

Anyway, I'm contemplating what horrible thing to do.

I'm guessing it'll be a fair few main releases before vehicles are implemented.

I'd imagine any vehicles would be a question of allowing the physics system to deal with things bigger than one tile moving around in a (semi-) controlled fashion, and mecha would require fluid (rather than radial) joints for the hips (and shoulders for that matter), or the legs would work but the thing would never move forward.

Power plants would be pretty simple if steam power were implemented, I'm thinking a dwarven nuclear reactor and a windmill setup, if dwarven physics remain suitably far-removed from reality that might even work indefinitely with a condenser.

Float Systems are right out, at the very least until an entire lift/drag system is implemented, and we may be on Pentium 10s before that can ever happen, what with all the calculations that need making. And Landspinners might be impossible to do owing to weight, unless the chassis are made from Hidden Fun Metal. (Wood is another option, but they'd be fragile.)

Conventional weapons should be doable with remotely-operable siege engines and individual item physics (a device comes to mind that pushes a single ballista arrow/stone onto a hatch that then opens and drops it into the center square of an engine linked to a cockpit lever) and hadron cannons and the like would be equated by dwarven coilguns, which would require some simulation of electrical current and magnetic fields.

Druid Systems however are already implemented :D Floodgates disappear entirely when not in use, link 'em each to a lever and you wouldn't even need a genius-level intellect to activate the appropriate ones owing to the pause button.

Yeah I give these things way too much thought. But then isn't that why we're all here...?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:42:25 pm by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 08:07:44 pm »

I once had one particularly sadistic Dwarf for an adventurer who was an axe murderer of a grand scale.  He had a strange preference, too: he would hack adults into kibbles (often they'd die with no limbs left, assuming he didn't bisect or behead them), but would always lob off one limb only from each child he encountered (again, assuming he didn't auto-bisect or auto-behead them).  The aftermath of his campaign resulted in several dozen Human, Dwarven, Goblin, and Elven settlements with nothing but a handful of three-limbed and perpetually unconscious children populating them.

In short, he left several civilizations decimated and doomed to grow up with the few survivors being crippled for life. Just try and top that level of evil.

All this 'just try and top that' discussion has got me thinking: Have dwarves embark on a non-dwarf settlement. Herd the entire populace into a single very small room. From there your options are either to seal it underneath solid rock and let them slowly starve and eventually descend into cannibalism in the dark, claustrophobic space, or create weapon traps with single whips and make the floor of the room consist of them, then hooking it up to a repeater... or hell, I'm sure other forumites can think of worse non-fatal tortures to put civilians through. Repeat for every settlement in the world. Effectively you would ruin the lives of every single non-dwarf member of the entire planet.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »

Rat of Wisdom, you put a lot more thought into this than I do. This Code Geass talk makes me want there to be geasses in DF. Wonder how that would work. Would probably be complicated, generating some Codes, and tracking how it spreads, and what geasses are created. I believe the theory that geass is based off of desire, so the game can analyze a dorf personality and formulate their desires and geass off of that. But tracking individual codes and geasses and what the dorfs do with them would be complicated. Say a dorf got a geass that suppresses emotions. What would he/she do with it? Go on a reign of terror, smothering peoples emotions? Use it to calm people? What?

And what would an immortal use their power with. Would they hand out geasses to everyone they see?  Find somone they deem worthy of it? And what about their mind-rapey abilities? Very complicated, all that.

But this is rather de-raily.
To be partly feline,

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:55 pm »

Hmm, I hadn't given actual Geasses much thought. Considering dorfs (and pretty much everything else) are fairly stupid I don't think Geass would have much use, and given the scale on which the game tends to be played even one immortal could fill the world with Geass-using creatures during worldgen, or else horribly skew gameplay. An early Geass gobbo with mind control, resulting in the entire world being out to get your dwarves? As if it's not already. Plznothx. Then again the challenge is sufficiently dwarfy.

The sci-fi is awesome to contemplate though. Some extremely dwarfy things could come of it if one were to apply dwarven ingenuity. (A Magma Wave Arm, for example. Or a Kittun Disturber that uncorks a cage with 100 cats around an enemy squad.)

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:51 pm »

Perhaps we should make a community fort based around building a Dorf mech.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 09:18:12 pm »

"Magma wave arm"!? Well, I doubt that dorfs can make the tech required for a radiant wave surger, so that would be close enough for me. The Sci-fi aspect is less likely to break worlds than the immortality or the geasses. If the world starts with an immortal who thinks geass is a gift and spreads it to everyone, you have a world where everyone, dwarf, elf, human, goblin, kobold, has a unique mental power. Keeping track of all the chaos that would cause be hell on a machine, and be a severely broken world.

Kittun Disturber would disable enemy mechs easily. I doubt a Blaze Luminous can be replicated in DF.

Yes. We should.
To be partly feline,

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 09:29:44 pm »

Hmm, depending on how elegantly you want to replicate it, Blaze Luminous might be doable. I'm thinking floodgates and retracting bridges (each floodgate and the bridge above it, or perhaps a patch of such constructs, keyed to a lever). Or can't that be done? It just occurred to me that floodgates jam in exactly the same way Blaze Luminous was eventually fsck'd in the anime. Good thing goblins aren't that smart.

People do Damocles-scale megaprojects all the time, too, or at least that's the impression I've gotten so far. And FLEIJA would be a godsend for FPS. All that matter, completely gone in a single instant...

Seconded with the power of a hundred thousand "me too"s. The question, though, is which kind. Personally I find the balance of awesome to be somewhere between a combat oligarchy of BattleMech-like craft (basically tanks, by their real-world roles, but with legs) and mass-produced humanoid mechanized infantry like Knightmare Frames (with, of course, the odd kick-ass support or commander model thrown in), but there's an argument to be made for a huge (Warhammer 40K) Titan-esque machine with an entire crew for each subsystem. In fact the best argument against such a project might be that something of the sort's already being done (that huge ridiculously awesome Sky-Fortress of Armok by I-forget-who).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:49:24 pm by Rat Of Wisdom »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 10:10:58 pm »

Have you uploaded the save to DFMA? This is really really really relevant to my interests.
You are a horrible, horrible person.  And so am I for making this thing.

Save is here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1835

This save needs the Dig Deeper mod.  But not the current version, you need the slightly older version that doesn't have halflings, ratmen, and dark elves or whatever other non-orc civs were added.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »

<3

Edit: I can't find the old version of Dig Deeper, only the current one.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »

Hmmm. Haven't really pulled off any really evil things. Just trying not to let my fortresses die at this point...

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 10:27:58 pm »

What other OH MY GOD I am going to hell moments have we all had?

Oh hey that's what this topic was originally about.

I'm doing my best to combine evil with impressive or efficient. My drowning corridor is reasonably elegant (chambers that are flooded and drained separately; I'm still trying to find a way to drain the water but leave the corpses where they can be easily looted, I'm thinking tesselated grates) and my siege operators' training ground doubles as a massive firing line (a line of cages can be installed beyond the fortifications that isolate the bridge+channel setup that preserves ammo; after they're linked to a lever, the access tunnel to that part of the complex is sealed, the engines are crewed and the prisoners are uncaged).
Pages: 1 [2] 3