Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I feel dirty. But why am I grinning?  (Read 2691 times)

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I feel dirty. But why am I grinning?
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:43:40 pm »

So, I had this wonderful idea.  I have a few chains that I use for justice and someone was attached to them. 
I thought to myself, ooh, what if I made a hole in the ground 2 stories deep that ended in a pit, then around the top level, I will put chains, and around those chains, I will stick my breeding animals.  Then I can just pull the lever and drop the babies down into that holding tank for SLAUGHTER and great fun will be had.
See picture:
Code: [Select]
Z-0
WWWWW
WCCCW
DChCD
WCCCW
WWWWW

Z-1

W.W

Z-2

D_D -> Butcher this way

So what happened?  I hung my dogs.  I pull the lever to test it while a good portion are on the hatch.
A Stray Dog has died when colliding with an obstacle.  X5

Short drop and sudden stop indeed.

What other OH MY GOD I am going to hell moments have we all had?

Next experiment, I'm using orcs.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I feel dirty. But why am I grinning?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:23 pm »

If a chained creature suddenly starts falling, the rope/chain won't hold them back, they will just fall down and if possible path back to their chain.

As for my experiments, I've been extensively researching the difference in falling damage for dwarves, goblins, humans, elves and cows(Control experiment), using 10 of each creature for every z level, using 10z total.

..And then I thought of researching the difference in falling damage between adults, children, and babies, and accidently impaled at least 10 babies while trying to have their mother's arms injured by retracting spike, after exhausting half my fort's female population and sending the other half to the barracks/hospital I decided there may just be a difference in falling damage based on gender...

Then I thought I just liked the thought of dropping dwarves from heights.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »

I'm probably getting the next update and Toady's 2,000 item long dev list confused but...I believe anything dangling from a chain over nothing will strangles itself to death in the (near?) future.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »

I'm probably getting the next update and Toady's 2,000 item long dev list confused but...I believe anything dangling from a chain over nothing will strangles itself to death in the (near?) future.

*Snickers.*

So gruesomely beautiful..
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:53:24 pm »

In a recent experimental fortress I built a device to automatically detect children using weight-sensitive pressure plates, and divert them out of the fortress.  This resulted in a dozen or so kids suddenly finding themselves outside of the sealed fortress.  During an orc siege.  The results were as you would expect.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 03:26:32 pm »

I think that if I have a soul it was forfeit when I decided not to be bothered by the countess' child -that was in her arms- while roasting her in magma as thanks for her mandates regarding clownium.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:07 pm »

Hm. "I'm going to hell" moments?

Well my horses and donkeys bred out of control. (i didn't slaughter animals I just bought more meat) and the animal pop cap was reached.

This bothered me because I wanted to import exotic pets. So I just dumped about 80-90 of the 200 animals in a chasm. Easy and efficient - it kept the entire fortress busy hauling for a while.  ;D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »

device to automatically detect children using weight-sensitive pressure plates

Holy hell, this is awesome. Plans please?
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

4lph4w0lf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 04:40:29 pm »

My most dirty moment...Adv. mode related:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48898.0

Just try to get a visual picture of what happened to that child...it was just playing in a brook one day when someone came over and did this.
The elves have hidden mind control mechanisms (wooden ones) in the brains of the zombie animals.
At the flick of a switch, the animals will become mindless killing machines and every single dwarf in your fortress will be hunted down and eaten. With a side dish of +plump helmet roast+.

Butcher the animals before it's too late!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 04:43:33 pm »

Map of the fortress in question is here:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7963-lashedsubtle

The child-culling machine is on level 15 in the hallways leading to the room full of plump helmets.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »

Map of the fortress in question is here:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7963-lashedsubtle

The child-culling machine is on level 15 in the hallways leading to the room full of plump helmets.

Have you uploaded the save to DFMA? This is really really really relevant to my interests.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »

I am also interested in this child culling mechanism.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:59 pm »

In a recent experimental fortress I built a device to automatically detect children using weight-sensitive pressure plates, and divert them out of the fortress.  This resulted in a dozen or so kids suddenly finding themselves outside of the sealed fortress.  During an orc siege.  The results were as you would expect.

If Adventurer mode is any indicator, it's the Orcs we should be feeling sorry for, not the children.  Those little bastards hit harder than the town guards.

Speaking of Adventurer mode, I once had one particularly sadistic Dwarf for an adventurer who was an axe murderer of a grand scale.  He had a strange preference, too: he would hack adults into kibbles (often they'd die with no limbs left, assuming he didn't bisect or behead them), but would always lob off one limb only from each child he encountered (again, assuming he didn't auto-bisect or auto-behead them).  The aftermath of his campaign resulted in several dozen Human, Dwarven, Goblin, and Elven settlements with nothing but a handful of three-limbed and perpetually unconscious children populating them.

In short, he left several civilizations decimated and doomed to grow up with the few survivors being crippled for life.  Just try and top that level of evil.
Sanity is for the weak.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 07:05:30 pm »

Just try and top that level of evil.

You are forgetting which fandom this is. We will.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 07:08:15 pm »

Just try and top that level of evil.

You are forgetting which fandom this is. We will.

Who said I forgot?  That was a challenge I fully expected to be fulfilled, not a statement of absolute triumph.
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: [1] 2 3