Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF on a 42 inch LCD TV  (Read 5128 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: DF on a 42 inch LCD TV
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 03:13:31 am »

DF at 1920x1080 is cool, but on a huge tv you're definitely not going to see the entire fortress at once unless you use a really small tile set, and then you'll probably not be able to distinguish what anything is. And yeah, you definitely won't be reading any text, especially if you use at small tile set. It won't be playable, I'm sure.

Maybe lay it flat, like a board game table? Because if you play like that obviously you won't be using it as a normal TV. Hella bonus points if you get a touch screen for mouse stuff and an appropriately placed keyboard for everything else.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 03:33:58 am »

I played DF on my 50 inch plasma and got ascii burned into the screen. let this be a lesson! dont buy a god damn plasma
Yes, my family did that research before purchasing our new LCD screen.

Plasma is terrible for that reason alone, and I'm surprised it hasn't suffered horribly business-wise.
Plasma is already industry-dead technology.

The new wave are the LED tvs. Good god the clarity on those Samsungs make Pixar movies look 3D theatre.

Treebiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 11:56:19 am »

Plasma has been mostly abandoned by the industry but I wouldn't say dead by any means. Panasonic still make great Plasma Sets and show no indication of stopping. Also, as far as I know, no true LED TVs have been released yet. The Samsung range of LED sets are normal LCD screens which use LEDs for backlighting. This does give better light distribution and allow the sets to be much thinner but it doesn't make them LED TVs. In fact they've even gotten into trouble for advertising them as such! But yeah... I imagine ASCII would present an awful burn risk on one.  :D

I have a 37" Panny Full HD LCD TV in my bedroom mounted on the wall at the end of my bed. There's definately something to be said for building a fortress/melting Elves whilst lying tucked-up in bed with a wireless keyboard.

By the way, I'm a long-term lurker (2-3 years) making my first post (In bed ill with flu) so hello everyone  ;D

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »

DF at 1920x1080 is cool, but on a huge tv you're definitely not going to see the entire fortress at once unless you use a really small tile set, and then you'll probably not be able to distinguish what anything is. And yeah, you definitely won't be reading any text, especially if you use at small tile set. It won't be playable, I'm sure.

Maybe lay it flat, like a board game table? Because if you play like that obviously you won't be using it as a normal TV. Hella bonus points if you get a touch screen for mouse stuff and an appropriately placed keyboard for everything else.

My dream: To be the first to play Dwarf Fortress on Microsoft Surface  :D
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »

heh Lets plug in a beamer or even better one of the new Digital-cinema projectors.

Which would be a nice thing actually: Toady staying before a Cinema-screen presenting us the new DF version in all details.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 03:23:23 am »

Is anyone a projectionist in a digital cinema? :)

Hearing "Beyond Quality!" in THX would be quite fun too......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 03:47:24 am »

Microsoft Surface  :D

The fuck is that. They want me to install a software just to look at a few damn pictures?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:18 pm »

?!  How well does DF run on the netbook?  What's your frames like?  How many wee bastards do you have running around?

I've got a big laptop but 100 dwarfs starts slowing it down.  I couldn't imagine my Acer Aspire One taking anything over an embark party on a 2 x 2 map.  ...that sounds freakin sweet!!!!  Time for some fun!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 07:38:12 pm »

The fuck is that. They want me to install a software just to look at a few damn pictures?
Microsoft mindset at its finest, spreading into every market possible. Silverlight is just a replacement for Flash.

And Surface is essentially a giant multitouch-enabled tablet PC. I'd rather buy a circular chamber for a NES lightgun to play Hogan's Alley.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 07:53:48 pm »

Surface is an awesome technology. Like most things Microsoft it was purchased off another company (or the whole company was purchased, can't remember).  It's got a lot more going for it that simply being a giant touch screen.  The theory is to sync with other tech that is laid on top of it.  Pretty much for anything from data transfers to identifying a beverage that was placed upon it.  Excellent tech for dining houses, sales counters and my living room table (someday!).

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:28 pm »

Microsoft mindset at its finest, spreading into every market possible. Silverlight is just a replacement for Flash.

Yes, Silverlight is Microsoft being Microsoft.

However, from my experience, Silverlight is actually more efficient (clientside) than Flash. Its weird.  :o
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 10:07:29 am »

And Surface is essentially a giant multitouch-enabled tablet PC. I'd rather buy a circular chamber for a NES lightgun to play Hogan's Alley.
YESSSSS

24x24 tileset then? I have a 42 inch LCD as well, was thinking about doing this, but it didn't seem practical.

Clearly, I wasn't thinking like a dwarf just then!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 10:17:23 am »

Reminds me of this http://www.flickr.com/photos/ariel/2849380682/ image from a set Zemat posted about back in 2008
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:27 am »

Yes, Silverlight is Microsoft being Microsoft.

However, from my experience, Silverlight is actually more efficient (clientside) than Flash. Its weird.  :o

It is MS being MS, but let's be honest Silverlight vs Flash? Silverlight wins. However due to it being MS and more importantly it being "MS being MS", people won't gravitate to it as much.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 10:31:14 am »

Flash as already won though, silverlight faces a very steep uphill battle to even get close to the user count.

Of course ms has the advantage of being able to pre-install silverlight on new os's
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 [2] 3