Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob Question of Noobyness  (Read 912 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Noob Question of Noobyness
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:05:27 am »

I am extremely new to the whole DF thing, and I have just one concern:

I am going to train some fakking useless peasants as Axedwarves. I trained their Wrestling, buffed them up at a 'gym' crafted some modded-in wood training axes and steel armor (HAAAX!), but then, I had a concern:

How would I make my trained Axedwarves use their non-training weapons?! I am in serious need of some well armed warriors, and I have several dumbass dorfs who were turned into pincushions by bow-wielding cannibalistic hippie faggots elves as they tried to reset the traps. HALP!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Question of Noobyness
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:39:11 am »

Forbid training axes.

They pick up fightin' axes.

They get shot by bowelves.

Nothing changes.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:44:21 am »

Well, I was able to re-arm them, drive off elves, but with three injured dwarves. Thanks man. I feel so stupid.  ;D
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:46:15 am »

Yeah, forbidding all the training gear is the only way to do it. The upcoming version is supposed to fix this inconvenience.
You can esily mass-forbid stuff in the stock(z) screen. Should the dwarves fail to drop their wooden axes, try changing their preffered weapon type in the military screen to unarmed, then back to axes.
It's been a while since I've last played the game, and I was never fond of traps, but I recall there being an option to forbid the trap as well, which should stop dwarves from trying to reset them. (if there's a dead body on the trap, you might want to forbid it too)
In other words, lots and lots of forbidding.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:48:39 am »

Cooool. There is still so much to learn...  ;D
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:10:15 am »

Cooool. There is still so much to learn...  ;D
Don't expect that to change in a hurry!
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:11:17 pm »

'd' > 'b' > 'f'

The click and drag forbidding tool, highly useful.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 03:01:07 pm »

Considering how we're going from three attributes (Strenght/Agility/Toughness) to ahem...nineteen...yeah, you won't be the only one re-learning things.

However, my contribution to the subject of the thread is that I don't think your axeskill is what's causing your painful Kill:Death ratio...but rather a lack of tactics. Charging bowelves with axedwarves on an open field is just going to lead to pain and suffering the likes of which even Indigo Montoya could never have imagined...build a curtain wall or a crook in your entrance hallway and have your dwarves hide out of Line of Sight until the opportune moment. Bows don't work when there's an axe in your chest cavity. :)
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »

Indigo Montoya

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yeah, in the next version (whenever that is, probably not too far off), you won't even really need training weapons in the first place (due to, well, better training implementation), and you'll also be able to be more choosy about what equipment your soldiers use.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:15:07 pm »

At least my dorfs did not succumb to their wounds. I've learned from this experience and will now make series of hatches where dorfs can pop up and hamstring the bastards. Thanks! :D
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:35:44 pm »

Careful with air-dropping dwarves from hatches if that's what you were thinking. Even a one z-level will stun them for a while, making their necks arrow bait until they can bring their shields up.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 11:40:15 pm »

Oh, I didn't say it properly. I meant a system of holes in the ground or whatever that would let dorfs go 1 z-level up and attack bowelves.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS