Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi Z level mining designations  (Read 920 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Multi Z level mining designations
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:31:38 am »

Since the next update is going to have an extremely expanded underground, we should probably have the means to assign multi level mining designations.  My fortresses always have a central staircase and develop from there, so after assigning the downstair at ground level, I'd like to be able to start a 2x2 or 3x3 up/down stair then just hold the "down 1 Z level" button until I hit the second to bottom level and finish the designation, thus assigning the same 3x3 up/down stair to over 100 Z levels.

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Z level mining designations
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:08:42 am »

There's a visibility problem with that.

When I want to dig a corridor that ends under a certain point, I start selecting and switch depths multiple times to see if I'm correctly directing my tunnel.

Many times, I make a level switch mistake and end up designing the corridor in the wrong depth. On those cases, what helps me undesig the corrections is knowing I've not designed outside of my current depth.

If multilevel designing is activated (which I'd much enjoy) it would be quite easy to mistakenly dig parts of your fortress without ever seeing the designation area overlap them (which would call your attention to the mistake).

For example (side view):
Code: [Select]
z2 ................................End dig
z1 .............valuable room......
z0 Start dig.......................
The miners dig through your valuable room and you never saw the digging area overlap it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Z level mining designations
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 03:43:07 am »