Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, am i missing something important?  (Read 1501 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded the demo for the game, tried it out, found the interface horrible, tried to move to the next objective, got shot by something outside my draw distance, restarted, took cover, aimed in the direction of the dots on the compass that are supposed to represent enemies, got shot again without seeing them. Third time, i do see a few pixels which i guess were enemies, take out my marksman rifle with a scope, put the badly cluttered scope over the guy's chest and shoot. Dust cloud appears from behind him and the return fire injures me. While i am preoccupied with my very clunky health kit, something kills me despite being prone behind a wall. Another attempt, i slowly crawl forward and let my team do the shooting. I get shot and again I'm without indication on what saw me or how since I'm prone in grass and i didn't see any enemies on the horizon. I try something different, and hijack a car. Crawl up to a house with a car, get the notice that there's a support gunner 300 meters out, get shot before they finish talking. Was crawling uphill and I'm pretty sure that ridge isn't 300 meters away. Next time i make it to the house with the car. Spot somebody in the window. I get out of his los and riddle his thin wooden wall full of bullets. Get a hit indicator. Something shoots me and i don't know what. Sneak into house from another angle, sneak inside with a knife. Sneak behind a guy and stab him. He turns around and i drop dead before he fires a single bullet. Next try, i grenade the room. Grenade explodes, i walk in and die. Again, no idea what or how. Go to the forums, ask what I'm doing wrong. Most polite answer was "moron".

Is there anybody with more experience with the game that can tell me wtf is going on? And don't yell "realism" because invisible enemies shooting their SAW's accurately THROUGH a hill and a soldier with an evil glare that kills more efficiently then a knife in the back or a grenade is NOT realistic.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, am i missing something important?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:38:33 pm »

Heh... sadly you have just asked for an explanation while also indicating you do not want to hear the explanation:-)

EDIT: (oops, hit post by accident)

Ultimately I think you should take a closer look at your tactics. Throw everything you've learned playing shooters out the door, and take a more realistic (I didn't say "realism" ;)) approach to it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:40:16 pm by Goron »

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:14 pm »

Flashpoint has always had issues with having wonky things happen in game if your system isn't up to par.  What are the system requirements and does yours meet them?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 02:14:20 pm »

I know your problem.

It's a game programmed by the publishers of OFP:Cold War Crisis while the actual developers of OFP created ArmA; the publishers retained the name to the OFP franchise and created a sequel that was shiny but devoid of actual gameplay beyond generic fps.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:21:37 pm »

I know your problem.

It's a game programmed by the publishers of OFP:Cold War Crisis while the actual developers of OFP created ArmA; the publishers retained the name to the OFP franchise and created a sequel that was shiny but devoid of actual gameplay beyond generic fps.

You took my little rant and put it in a few concise sentences. Thank you =) This is why I call it 'dragon rising' and not 'operation flashpoint,' because it is, in fact, not operation flashpoint. If anything, call ArmA2 'operation flashpoint 2'

Anyways. Most likely there are bugs (the game was released somewhat recently), or there is something that shot you that you didn't notice. Perhaps an enemy has flanked you? Have you tried playing on an easier difficulty? Perhaps order your.. meat shields in before you?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:24:46 pm by OzyTheSage »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 04:12:40 pm »

Playing on Normal, which is the lowest it goes. AFAIK I'm not being flanked, i fight at the absolute edge of the distance i can distinguish soldiers from branches and they'd need to be sonic the hedgehog to zip around me that fast and none of my team members noticed anything beyond the enemies straight ahead. Most of the time I'm crawling through the underbrush anyway. Sending the rest of the squad to move or assault a location results of them making a mad dash to the target location ignoring everything in the way and getting cut down by bullets flying in from behind the draw distance or dropping to the ground and plinking at something i can't see, which results in them being picked off eventually by return fire.

System is a GTX260XXX, 8GB of 1600Mhz RAM and a 3.4Ghz quad core CPU which should be enough to run a console port 3 times over.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:24:50 pm »

:-/
hmm, well...
Can you extend your draw distance? Its usually bad when you are getting shot from farther than you can see ;)

But, otherwise all I can advise is using cover the best you can in addition to concealment.

I didn't think the game was that bad mechanically, so it shouldn't be outright 'cheating'...
but, now that someone has brought up Arma, I'll advise you to stop bothering with OpF2 and just get Arma2:-) Of course, I die more in Arma2 than any other game I own- so take that as you will :-[

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:25:27 pm »

Well I do remember dying a lot in the first Operation Flashpoint game, then I got the hang of "finding" enemies (little weird pixels).

Dunno about DR, since my PC wouldn't handle it I think.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:56 pm »

OF2 is a quality game, but ArmA2 dominates it in all ways.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:51:53 am »

Just checked out the ArmA2 demo.  Boy, that game sure is pretty.  And the tutorial sure is mean when it comes to ammo.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 03:13:59 am »

If you do get ArmA2 I recommend ACE mod if you play online... and if you play online TG is a good server =o at least, it's the one I've stuck with since ArmA. It's the only non-clan server I know of that plays the game it should be played.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 06:51:57 am »

OF2 is a quality game, but ArmA2 dominates it in all ways.
Except campaign stability... seriously, I tried playing it on coop with 2 other friends and all sorts of insanity and weirdness happened. From placing the 3 side-characters in the same place during cutscenes to teleporting me and an NPC out of the car we were driving into an unending cutscene while the other 2 players drove on and got gunned down by an MG at some roadblock. :S

And we were playing on original copies.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:59:52 am »

If you do get ArmA2 I recommend ACE mod if you play online... and if you play online TG is a good server =o at least, it's the one I've stuck with since ArmA. It's the only non-clan server I know of that plays the game it should be played.
Would you mind explaining ACE in a little detail, I am unable to get past certain filters to read up on it right now.

Besides vanilla, the only mod I've actually ever played is the Chenaous (sp?) Life mod. Or whatever its called.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 10:30:56 am »

ACE expands ArmA's simulation is pretty much every direction.

The biggest change is probably the medical system and wounding.  It's quite robust and now slightly more than "you get shot.  you die.".  Cover has also been revamped.. or bullet penetration has been made more realistic depending on how you look at it.

It also offers a wide variety of new weapons and vehicles, a fatigue system and - added on top - balancing.  The weapons are made realistically, but everything seems to have a balance that vanilla ArmA is lacking online.

Overall, though it might not sound like much, ACE is a better gaming experience.  Oh, and it's how 90% of the community plays.

Projectmayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 11:47:06 am »

I bought ArmA 2 the week it came out and I've never been able to play it. Some day I'll have a good enough computer...some day.

The only part I've ever really played in OFP/ArmA is the capture the island mode. It's like a huge dynamic war going on. Any other games like that? And is there anyway to save it in the first OFP?
Pages: [1] 2