Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with magma  (Read 493 times)

Herzele

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem with magma
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:29:53 am »

Hi everyone,

I need your help to solve a small problem. I want to channel magma from a pipe to my magma workshops, so i dig a channel like that :

HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The H is th channel and the ..... is th hall necessary to dig the channel.

The problem i simple, each time i connect the channel to the magma pipe, i overflow the hall.

What could i do in order to keep the magma IN the channel ?

Thx !

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with magma
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:33:27 am »

If you have bauxite make doors connected to a lever.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:41:38 am »

How are you connecting the hall to the magma pipe?  Is the opening you're making on the Z level of the hall, or the level of the channel?  If it's on the level of the hall magma will flood the channel, then flood the hall.  If you make it on the level of the channel it will only fill the channel, since magma doesn't flow uphill unless pumped.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Herzele

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:46:05 am »

I can't dig the level of the channel, because the magma pipe is larger at the hall level, and i don't think thaht digging under the magma pipe is a good idea...

Edit : Ok, good idea, it works perfectly ! Thx !
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:54:01 am by Herzele »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:56:43 am »

I can't dig the level of the channel, because the magma pipe is larger at the hall level, and i don't think thaht digging under the magma pipe is a good idea...
Apart from the potential problems of digging sideways into a magma source, there's no problem digging sideways underneath a wider protrusion of magma, as long as you don't breach the intervening ceiling/floor by Z-changing digging from that exploratory tunnel.

It will]/i] complain about the rock heat (as it would the dampness), but you obviously know exactly what rock is safe to dig through, per-level, so no worries on that front.  It's just the last dwarf to tunnel through the gap that might not have the sense to get out of the way immediately.

What I normally do, though, is engineer the breakthrough so that a tunnel is sent right up to the edge of a protrusion (similar to your hall-level one) which will feed and then send a separate tunnel on the Z-above to channel the remaining gap away.  Usually having placed suitable grating and/or floodgate at the end of that original channel, then reflooring over the newly channeled area for safety. 

More can be said, but I'm being chucked out, so I can't check the above for spelling, grammatical, logical or mechanical errors. :)