Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What happens to Duke when King arrives?  (Read 2186 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happens to Duke when King arrives?
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:30:44 am »

I've never gotten a fortress where the King is interested, but I just checked my Noble screen and saw 'Incoming King' listed at the top.

When he shows up (not too far off, just need some roads), does the Duke stay? Can I give the King the Duke's room? This will greatly affect how I plan for his appearance.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to Duke when King arrives?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:58:28 am »

When the king arrives you will have both a king and a duke, the king will want better rooms than the duke he will also have an advisor with him.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:40 am »

I think diplomats will meet with the king instead of the duke though.  Can't recall really because I didn't continue playing long after I got my king.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »

side note- if the dukes room is too good, the king will be... upset.

always be careful with nobility rooms, if you make em too good the higher-ups make more demands. ive seen a queen throw a tantrum, it is not pretty.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:03:56 pm »

When the king arrives you will have both a king and a duke, the king will want better rooms than the duke he will also have an advisor with him.
Quoted for truth, though I didn't see an advisor with my monarch, just the Queen and King Consort.

always be careful with nobility rooms, if you make em too good the higher-ups make more demands. ive seen a queen throw a tantrum, it is not pretty.
Entirely correct, though I have avoided such by the simple expedient of making the royal residence godlike in its awesomeness. Nobody can object for long in a room with three artifacts, carved into obsidian, and engraved with masterpieces.

Also, my experience may differ from yours, but I got a monarch who's actually useful; competent farmer in all fields, swordsdwarf of some skill, and quite willing to throw animals in cages for me.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:46 pm »

Quoted for truth, though I didn't see an advisor with my monarch, just the Queen and King Consort.

Entirely correct, though I have avoided such by the simple expedient of making the royal residence godlike in its awesomeness. Nobody can object for long in a room with three artifacts, carved into obsidian, and engraved with masterpieces.

Also, my experience may differ from yours, but I got a monarch who's actually useful; competent farmer in all fields, swordsdwarf of some skill, and quite willing to throw animals in cages for me.
Lucky I dont think I have ever gotten a king that is even remotely useful.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:40:39 pm »

I've killed a king in adventure mode that seemed to be quite the wrestler.

He actually took on a horde of mountain goats and won.
Afterwards he actually survived quite a few blows from my maceman. Mangled both his legs, one arm, broke the other, and the guy was still CONSCIOUS.

A swordsking seems even cooler to me. (But does he also wield his sword?)
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »

A queen in my fort has no remarkable skills (outside of social of course), but regularly drags captured goblins to the pits without incident (including one that had been accidentally pit-assigned before any of its equipment could be removed).

Also, she's got blood coverings all over her body and I have no clue where they came from. So yeah.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 05:29:15 pm »

but I got a monarch who's actually useful; competent farmer in all fields, swordsdwarf of some skill, and quite willing to throw animals in cages for me.
It sounds like he came disguised as a peasant wich will happen if you strike a certain fun vein

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:34:37 pm »

but I got a monarch who's actually useful; competent farmer in all fields, swordsdwarf of some skill, and quite willing to throw animals in cages for me.
It sounds like he came disguised as a peasant wich will happen if you strike a certain fun vein
That or he just switched on the labours via Dwarf Manager or something.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »

Mine pits stuff and is a Great Armorsmith Queen. Without any dwarf manager.  ;D

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 08:31:17 pm »

Mine carries a crossbow, and regualrily reloads, I made his bedroom walls out of fortifications, and put him on the top of my forward tower.  Haven't had a seige since, that got past him.  He's a legendary marksdwarf now, bloody crazy ass king, shooting all the baddies.... and crazed dwarfs..... and elves.
Nom nom nom

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »

Mine carries a crossbow, and regualrily reloads, I made his bedroom walls out of fortifications, and put him on the top of my forward tower.  Haven't had a seige since, that got past him.  He's a legendary marksdwarf now, bloody crazy ass king, shooting all the baddies.... and crazed dwarfs..... and elves.
Hail to the king, baby.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »

I have a Hammerdwarf Queen who has picked up a number of kills prior to coming to my fortress/

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 10:50:47 pm »

By any chance did your Liaison get killed before the Queen arrived?

That or he just switched on the labours via Dwarf Manager or something.

Nah - "All Dwarves Harvest" is probably turned on, which includes nobles; also, caging animals is one of the few things that any dwarf will do. Additionally, it's not uncommon for the King to have combat experience and actually be wielding a weapon - while you can't activate him into the military, he'll probably be happy to attack any enemies he sees.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2