Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What happens to Duke when King arrives?  (Read 2180 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to Duke when King arrives?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 02:08:01 am »

When the king arrives you will have both a king and a duke, the king will want better rooms than the duke he will also have an advisor with him.
Quoted for truth, though I didn't see an advisor with my monarch, just the Queen and King Consort.
By any chance did your Liaison get killed before the Queen arrived?
No, but on further examination I know what happened; apparently the advisor in question is an elf from a captured and conquered elven civ. At the next siege, he'll be murdered to death, as is only proper for an elf like him.
but I got a monarch who's actually useful; competent farmer in all fields, swordsdwarf of some skill, and quite willing to throw animals in cages for me.
It sounds like he came disguised as a peasant wich will happen if you strike a certain fun vein
That or he just switched on the labours via Dwarf Manager or something.

Nah - "All Dwarves Harvest" is probably turned on, which includes nobles; also, caging animals is one of the few things that any dwarf will do. Additionally, it's not uncommon for the King to have combat experience and actually be wielding a weapon - while you can't activate him into the military, he'll probably be happy to attack any enemies he sees.
No such cheats, and I don't mean grower; Queenie's a Great Thresher, Miller, Milker, Dyer, Butcher, Brewer, Cook, Herbalist, and Grower, Professional Tanner, Accomplished Cheese Maker, and Competent Swordsdwarf, aside from the social skills. "All dwarves harvest" is off. The King Consort, meanwhile, is a Great Siege Operator. Somehow I get the impression these monarchs were promoted from the ranks. Must remember to check the legends.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:45 am »

No such cheats, and I don't mean grower; Queenie's a Great Thresher, Miller, Milker, Dyer, Butcher, Brewer, Cook, Herbalist, and Grower, Professional Tanner, Accomplished Cheese Maker, and Competent Swordsdwarf, aside from the social skills. "All dwarves harvest" is off. The King Consort, meanwhile, is a Great Siege Operator. Somehow I get the impression these monarchs were promoted from the ranks. Must remember to check the legends.

I'd love to have that save. With that particular skill set you could almost hermit with just the rulers of your civ! Keep the Dungeon Keeper around for smithing/smelting... the Duke can harvest. Only thing really missing is a miner. (and Too bad the consort isn't a carpenter/woodcutter)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 08:27:43 am »

When you do check the legends, note how many years they were an X job. It'll be neat to see how long working in a job in worldgen carries over to skills upon immigration to the fort. Makes me wish migrants were drawn from worldgen'd migrants rather than spawned in your fort; you'd get some guys with mad skills.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:56 am »

Me and a friend had our first monarch recently arrived, unfortunately I struck adamantite before the trade caravan with the offerings had departed the trade depo, so he came revealed, but no consort / guards / advisor came with him.

He's a wrestler,
competent swordsdorf
professional Cook, Brewer
Adept Dyer, Miller and Butcher
Expert herbalist, tanner and grower
Talenter milker, thresher and cheesemaker
novice shield and armour user.

His name? Cerol Magicbasements, unfortunately he came without his sword, but his fists are proving effective against the miniscule amount of captured goblins I'm getting in order to earn a title.

My friends adamantite queen was even more impressive.

Her surname is Catsacks, shes 110 years old and has 168 kills, apparently 90% of them were elves, she's missing one of her toes and has various things such as 'nervous wreck / often sad but likes helping people. Great wrestler, marksdwarf, shield and armour user and maxed out toughness, agility and strength.
Pages: 1 [2]