Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I hate all these remakes  (Read 1860 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
I hate all these remakes
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:55:24 am »

Ok so about two years ago There was this movie call "repo:The genetic Opera". It was a bizarre psychedelic trip through a perverse gothic/cyberpunk world where organ failure was so common that it became big business to sell organs. The story followed a hulking assassin/doctor on his mission to recover lost organs and dealt mostly with his internal conflict towards his horrific but seemingly necessary job.

Now, or soon from now, We have "Repo men" A Bland trip through a generic future world where organ failure is so common that it has become big business to sell organs. The story follows a hulking assassin doctor and deals mostly with hiBLLARRRGAH!

Now I'm all for a good remake every now and again, Especially if it extends or builds upon the idea of the original. Let's take the new version of "The Crazies" for instance. The original movie by Romero had an interesting, though by now completely over told, story and setting and attempted to prey upon the uncanny fear of our friends and neighbors turning against us for no reason. The idea is certainly a spooky one, the image of our friends standing before us as nothing but shells, empty eyes flicking wildly about as they jerkily inch toward us. This is compounded by the fact that these are not zombies, simply men driven mad. The problem is that this movie was shot in the 70's, and as such every last crew member was stoned off their ass. The female leads were a particular problem, staring into the camera with eyes more vacant then the shambling horrors they unconvincingly screamed at.

Perhaps now, in this era of narcotic prohibition and improved acting, we can get the true psychological terror which the crazies should have presented. It certainly looks much more promising, though I fear that It may fall prey to the common flaw of attempting to make something better. Subtle distress will be replaced by dismemberment and gore as Brick Irondick and his waif love interest battle their way through the hordes. And thats the big problem, thats what I hate. I hate it when america feels as though something really does need more violence and vagina.

Don't get me wrong, Repo the genetic opera wasn't really what you would call good, per-say. Most if it's songs, for it was an opera remember, were horrible; they resembled something more akin to a 12 year old girl warbling out songs about how tortured her soul is while My chemical romance screeches int the backround then a true musical number. However, no matter how flawed, at least Repo was attempting to be different, to be unique. This new repo isn't attempting to follow the source material or even to be something unique, they're simply pouring the general premise into the same copout scifi action mold that has become so freaking popular these days. They're reducing it to a fine grey goo and shoveling it down our throats like so much reconstituted cardboard gruel.

This is the overarching problem with the whole of Hollywood it seems, we're just being fed the same half dozen movies over and over again in new packaging. Those that do manage to be new usually succeed on being glaringly uninteresting, case in point : The Book of Eli. When given the atmosphere of the end of days, the charisma denzel washington and a story which, on first glance seems to borrow heavily from fallout you would think that this movie would be inevitably good. Unfortunately what we get is something along the lines of Fallout crossed with Narnia and covered in a heaping load of pretentiousness.

Now, all I'm trying to sleepily strain out here is this: Please, for god sake, do something original

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate all these remakes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:14:39 am »

It's simple numbers. Ideally large ones with a currency symbol before them.

It's much cheaper to churn out the same thing than do something original and you make more money per unit cost when you do (on average).

If the film tanks because it was inevitability dire then you have wasted less than you would on original content (which is often also inevitability dire).

It's also easier to sell to a studio because you go, 'imagine xyz but set in space/the past/the future/a subway/etc' or 'it's a remake of xyz'. Rather than some huge waffle explication that doesn't really explain anything because what you've done is different enough.

As an added bonus, and probably the most important from a studio's point of view, you can predict, to some extent, how much you will make of the next X clones of something and so budget accordingly.

Not that these are good reasons but just why. Possibly I'm a jaded cynic but this is only my view on it anyway.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:07:37 am »

I feel the same, it seems this appears not just in movies, but in everything. Life seems to get very bland, and you really have to push to find something new and interesting.

I hate to sound so.....non-conformist....but most of the interesting stuff is far away from the mainstream conscious. Perhaps most people don't have such an accelerated rate of interest decay
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:44 am »

Perhaps most people don't have such an accelerated rate of interest decay

This is a phrase I've been trying to articulate for months now. Most people that merely receive their entertainment from the mainstream are very adapted to normality, and thus the lifespan of their interest is extremely shortlived. They don't need to look or obsess about anything since everything's following a pattern anyway, and you don't need to pay attention in order to know what's going on.

Interest decay, it is a concept that I'll need to devote more thought to.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:31:36 am »

Well, to be honest, Repo: the genetic opera was a direct rip off from the Monty Python's "The meaning of life". Still, it was sufficiently different to watch it with some level of satisfaction. Movies are a complex art, there's usually enough content to play with to make the remake into something actually original. Sure you get a lot of terribly bland ones, like "americanized" japanese(or otherwise foreign) horrors, but perhaps it's sensible to wait for until you actually watch a movie before flushing it down the toilet.

@smigenboger: you know, it might be the effect of living in the era of easily accessible art. Nowadays you can watch pretty much every movie being produced, if you've got the time and internet connection. You can listen to all the music you want from the net, put it onto your ipod and listen some more. We are bombarded(or bombard ourselves) with so much data that we inevitably become jaded and can't find anything new and original out there.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:16 am »

Exactly. Hollywood should instead be funneling more money towards original masterpieces of our cinematic generation. Movies such as 2012, Legion, The Happening, Epic Movie, and Meet the Spartans. I mean, I could go on, but we've just created so many movies of amazing quality in these past 5 or so years, it's hard to keep track of them all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:57:23 am »

Meet the Spartans was a quality movie?!

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:29 am »

I know it's harder to recognize sarcasm over the internet. But come on man, I put Epic Movie and the Happening on there. :/

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:01:29 am »

Meet the Spartans was a quality movie?!

I have to assume he was being sarcastic as of that set all the ones I've seen are terrible. In fact just mentioning 'The Happening' almost made me break down in terror, not at the content of the film you understand but at the thought of anyone else suffering the 2 hours (or whatever) it takes to watch it.

Edit: meh, note to self: read new posts before posting reply
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:35 am »

It doesn't help that I only saw MtS out of all those. I'm so out-of-touch.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:33:53 am »

Creativity is not inventing something out of nothing. Inventing things out of nothing gives you some wtfisthis junk. No, sir, creativity is taking a bunch of ideas and manipulating them in a different way. Think of the most "original" thing you can. Chances are, lots of people have done many similar things. Say, you have a pyramid and a cube. Creativity means putting the pyramid upside down and putting a cube on it. Lame example, but I'm too lazy to get into details.

The money is in things that people can relate to and understand, but done differently enough to look unique. Avatar: Pocahontas in space. Titanic: Romance-disaster movie on a ship. Lord of the Rings: Medieval war movie with funny looking humanoids. Confessions of a Shopaholic: LoTR without the warring.

Srsly though, sometimes the slight changes are too slight to cover things and you end up with something that looks like a remake. Hell, every movie follows the same formula. I forgot what it was, but it always has like a problem, a climax, and a resolution. Every movie.

If a movie looks like a remake, then they simply haven't put enough effort into hiding where they copied the idea.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 07:06:29 pm »

There are no original stories, for the number of different stories can be counted on your fingers.

What can be done, are interesting takes. Most remakes aren't motivated by studios, but by directors or writers wanting to do their own version of the classic, or providing it again for the cinematic ignorant and elitist with disdain of 'old' movies.

And also, not every movie has to be a masterpiece. Movies are in an entertainment industry. They're goal is to entertain, via various methods. Drama, Comedy, Parody, Satire and so on with sub division on ad infinitum nearly.

They're have been wonderful movies made that have gotten critical acclaim, and financial success.

I can't see anything wrong with remakes, or how its bad things for the movie industry. I don't see anything wrong with bubble gum. There generally a good mix every year for movies, and a excellent mix when adding multiple years together.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »

Just to clarify when I said original I didn't mean something that had zero influence from another source I just meant stuff that wasn't essentially a re-skinned clone.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:03:30 pm »

Don't be silly, all movies are unorginal! Why?

Only Thomas Edison wrote an orginal movie.

All of the others are just knockoffs of his technology.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »

Don't be silly, all movies are unorginal! Why?

Only Thomas Edison wrote an orginal movie.

All of the others are just knockoffs of his technology.

Thomas Edison was a jerk and not even that smart.
He actually thought that movies were a horrible idea.
He thought nobody would want to sit in front of a screen and watch a moving picture.
Pages: [1] 2