Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whenever I close my eyes, I see a Giant Bat eating my limbs!  (Read 1256 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Whenever I close my eyes, I see a Giant Bat eating my limbs!
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »

This poor bastard got in a wrestling fight with a Giant Bat. After some nimble finger magic, I got the guy to back behind a defensive line of cage traps, snagging my prize. Now, he's stuck in some sort of infinite loop where he reports being entangled with a bat every second. The bat he was fighting is still alive in a cage in some god-forsaken stock pile. I don't know why he went insane. This is hysterical to me, though.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Whenever I close my eyes, I see a Giant Bat eating my limbs!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:49 pm »

I made a mistake. The person who is reporting the bat is not the guy who's insane, it's the one who got his eye torn out, heart punctured, arm broken, and is currently resting in his room. He is not insane, depressed, or in any other condition except unconcious.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:39 pm »

I remember seeing this report before, where somebody suggested he was having nightmares about this demon bat.

The real strange thing is that it was a giant bat in that report.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:02 pm »

A shot in the dark here, but it may have something to do with cage traps and flying creatures.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:49:24 pm by Iban »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:44:36 am »

# 000957 □ [dwarf mode][interface][announcements][message spam]     (Report) resting dwarf spammed rest cancellation when confronted by a goblin

Other reports for the same bug:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39894.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26333.0 (this one mentions a giant bat, interestingly)
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29308.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25815.0

Looks like you're getting some additional message spam from "cancels Load Cage Trap: Needs empty cage."  Couldn't find any previous reports for that one -- you may want to change your thread title to mention that one instead.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:46:14 am by Footkerchief »

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:55:40 am »

.. I didn't have any spare cages.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:10:01 am »

Right.  The bug part is that it's spamming you with hundreds of messages per second about it, which is annoying and can cause serious lag.  C.f. all the other bugs tagged with [message spam].

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:05:52 am »

It only gives me the message like once every second when a dwarf checks the job. The x### is for the giant bat.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:09:27 am »

Oh, whoops, misread.  Once a second might still qualify as message spam, but yeah, that's not dire.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 08:29:14 am »

The message will continue until the giant bat is killed or leaves the map.  At which point the dwarf will stop panicking and then probably bleed to death because of the punctured heart.  Yes, being constantly interrupted by spamming messages will actually prevent a dwarf from bleeding out.  Urist can't die, he doesn't have time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:46 am »

The message will continue until the giant bat is killed or leaves the map.  At which point the dwarf will stop panicking and then probably bleed to death because of the punctured heart.  Yes, being constantly interrupted by spamming messages will actually prevent a dwarf from bleeding out.  Urist can't die, he doesn't have time.
I'm afraid you're wrong. I forgot how he died, but he definitely did. The cool thing (not cool considering I want to tame this fucker and make him breed for little baby bats to guard my bat fortress of bats) is that the bat got a name too.

When Larcudist McBat eats you, you'll have nightmares.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 03:29:06 pm »

BAD IDEA. You can never truly tame a creature that has tasted dwarven blood. However, your dwarves will think him tame, so they'll just sit by and let him murder your entire fort.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 11:42:21 pm »

My most memorable forts have had a champion who absolutely refused to die or even rest until the fortress was safe once again. Even if his orcish nemesis was already blind, unconscious, and caught in a cage. As far as I can tell, though, this glitch will only prevent (well, delay) bleeding to death or getting hungry/thirsty; the dwarf can still suffocate or be killed off somehow. Also, (in my experience) if the wounds should be fatal, then that dwarf will die once his mark has fled or been killed, even if his wounds have recovered - all the blood he should have lost will spray out at once.

May Armok give you rest in Dwarfhalla, Nish Nerobok!