Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to trap an infant?  (Read 3110 times)

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to trap an infant?
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »

I'd like to make a baby zoo. Is there an effective and safe way to cage babies? Will they grow up or starve while caged? Or do they effectively freeze while caged?
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: How to trap an infant?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:01 am »

The only way I know how to cage a friendly is if the infant is wounded and walks on the cage trap or you make a cave in in.They will need food and booze while caged IIRC and they will still age.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:45:41 am »

In order to cage a baby, you will first have to separate it from its mother.  This is difficult as dwarven mothers hold their children at all time and will cancel any job to find and pick up their children if they are ever separated.  I have at times noticed that forcing the mother into running water will knock a child out of her arms, so some kind of water-based system should work.  A well over open space next to a waterfall perhaps.

Then you have to cage the baby.  Cage traps only work on hostile or unconscious creatures, so you will need to knock the baby out to get it in a cage.  I don't know if being stunned from falling is enough.  You might have to arrange for a nearby cave-in to knock the baby out with dust.  Be aware that crawling babies have no self-preservation instincts whatsoever, and will happily crawl into water or lava or off cliffs to their doom.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:22:51 am »

In order to cage a baby, you will first have to separate it from its mother.  This is difficult as dwarven mothers hold their children at all time and will cancel any job to find and pick up their children if they are ever separated.  I have at times noticed that forcing the mother into running water will knock a child out of her arms, so some kind of water-based system should work.  A well over open space next to a waterfall perhaps.

Yeah, I've been slaughtering babies willy-nill over the past week as I experimented with waterfall-splashing-down-a-spiral-stair designs; I eventually had to put grates all across the drain holes just to keep the system from washing every baby in my fort out into the chasm.

I suspect that if I'd put cage traps at the bottom of every ramp I'd have caught more than a few babes. I'm not sure if the falling would be enough to knock the babies out, though. Does "stunned" count or do they have to be unconscious? They get "stunned" when the water hits, since babies can't have swimming skill.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:32:06 am »

DF forums:  Where this discussion is perfectly acceptable.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:36:20 am »

DF forums:  Where this discussion is perfectly acceptable.

You should've seen my girlfriends' reaction when I explained to her why I had a room filled with dead puppies and babies with all their limbs broken (that was before I took out the staircases and left only the ramps). Seriously, it was like one "died after colliding with an obstacle" message every fifty frames or so.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:39 pm »

Bump

Bridgeapult
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »

Water works fine.

In my current fortress, due to an Unfortunate Accident involving setting up a plumbing system, I had an infant flushed into the fortifications carved on the edge of the map. The infant did not drown. But it was stuck and couldn't leave, and then died of starvation in the fortifications. There isn't any way to remove it, aside from trying to flush it with water from another direction.

The infant skeleton has been tormenting my plump helmet farm ever since.  :(

Edit:
Or magma! I can reroute magma from my smelters to the other side of the map, near my farm. Then deconstruct the farms (I have like 10,000 roasts in my stockpiles, I'm good for a while) and flood the farm fields with magma! That should vaporize the infant skeleton. Once the infant skeleton is gone, the magma will drain off the edge of the map. When all 1/7 magma puddles are gone I can reflood the fields, rebuild the farm, and get growing the plump helmets again!

I can even experiment with my horizontal magma teleportation device, which works great for short distances, but this would be a good test for long distance usage!  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:59:35 pm by Hyndis »